Anyone pony up for ceramic coating after purchase?

nouseformonkeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord
The biggest thing with the coating is maintaining it - you won't able to take the car to any carwash anymore, otherwise it will be ruined the minute brushes touch the paint. Ceramic coating is a commitment. I've installed it myself and now I am committed to wash it once in 2 weeks with specific products using certain technique. Think twice before you opt for it lol
I was doing some research into the ceramic coatings and doing it myself but the maintenance is just too much in money and time to bother with.

I was watching a YouTube detailer who applied a ceramic coating on his BMW M5 and said that it was more susceptible to water spots and must be removed promptly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I was doing some research into the ceramic coatings and doing it myself but the maintenance is just too much in money and time to bother with.
What maintenance? I just take it to the coin wash or touchless automated wash every couple weeks with no techniques other than drying it, and my coating looks as good now as when I got it 6 months ago. My paint looks new. Only wet sanding will rub off a ceramic coating. The ceramic coating maintains the car, we don’t have to maintain the ceramic coating. Just don’t use cheap Walmart rags or leather shammies to wipe down the surface...those scratch

Last edited:

nouseformonkeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord
I’m just basing it off of the YouTube detailers that say you should wash it with a specific soap and then recharge it with another product to freshen it up after a wash and then use another ceramic friendly detailer to wipe it in between washes.

No personal experience.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
When I bought my SI, I did entertain the idea of ceramic coat. I was quoted $1500 CAN. Knowing that ceramic coating would not deter stone chips, I went with clear plastic film.

Cost was the main determining factor. I was also concerned about minor scratches and the extra cost to repair fender bender.

Without ceramic coating, I can polish out minor scratches. How do I do this if there is ceramic coating on the on the surface?

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I bought my SI, I did entertain the idea of ceramic coat. I was quoted $1500 CAN. Knowing that ceramic coating would not deter stone chips, I went with clear plastic film.

Cost was the main determining factor. I was also concerned about minor scratches and the extra cost to repair fender bender.

Without ceramic coating, I can polish out minor scratches. How do I do this if there is ceramic coating on the on the surface?
From my understanding minor scratches to the surface of the coating can be polished or buffed out, but I have not looked into that. I also applied clear plastic film to the hood to compliment the ceramic coating. My Ceramic Pro treatment cost me total of $1,000. Cheapest in Toronto area

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
I think I will probably go both film bra and ceramic coating. I live on a gravel drive and would be nice to have something extra to help keep it clean.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think I will probably go both film bra and ceramic coating. I live on a gravel drive and would be nice to have something extra to help keep it clean.
Good move, youll love it. Its such a slick surface, dirt wipes right off. Plus rims are easier to remove dust and dirt from aswell

Last edited:

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
From my understanding minor scratches to the surface of the coating can be polished or buffed out, but I have not looked into that. I also applied clear plastic film to the hood to compliment the ceramic coating. My Ceramic Pro treatment cost me total of $1,000. Cheapest in Toronto area
When we polish out the minor scratches, would the ceramic coating be polished out as well?

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When we polish out the minor scratches, would the ceramic coating be polished out as well?
I dont think so. The polish would have to be a light to medium polish and not rubbed too aggressively. It takes wet sandpaper rubbing to remove the coating. I just bought some Turtle Wax Polishing Compound today to fix a touch-up paint screw up from a minor stone chip. It didnt seem to affect the coating at all. But if i had a really annoying scratch/s, Id just take the car back to my ceramic installer to fix for me or instruct me how to do it myself.
Keep in mind, my Si is garaged and not exposed to too many elements. Thats part of the reason the car has virtually no scratches, not even the slightest swirl marks, and is in glossy showroom condition.

Last edited:

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Did it myself. Fairly straightforward if you have car detailing in the past.
Did mine myself, much easier than I thought, cost me $80 for CQuartz 3.0 and its working very well, washed my car for the first time in 3 months and was surprised how easy the dirt came off and beads like its just been waxed and sealed. Its not as difficult as initially thought.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I have detailing experience, so I'll be tackling this one myself since I have all the tools and supplies. Here's a good video to watch what's involved.

Pittwm

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, X5, Civic Touring, Accord, Type R
Country flag
I take delivery in a couple weeks and am seriously considering having a shop do a ceramic coating on it as an extra layer of protection. Has anyone had this done? I'm not interested in doing it myself, for many reasons, but the biggest is I have zero time and also a broken arm and doing everything one handed sucks. For those that have it done, what do you think?
I'm doing it myself with Cquartz UK. The car is a month old, washed twice. I imagine it will be pretty straight path after I clay the surface. Whatever you do, don't wait a long time to do it, the prep is what cost you a lot the longer ou wait.

Pittwm

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I was watching a YouTube detailer who applied a ceramic coating on his BMW M5 and said that it was more susceptible to water spots and must be removed promptly.
I watched that same video... LOL... There's another guy on there who tested different coating, Cquartz UK, Cquartz, Kisho, 9 dollar ebay, conventional Mother's, Mcquire.... just to name a few... The best beading after a few weeks were.... Tada....the old school Simoniz and Nufinish!!!

Pittwm

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With Ceramic coat, it needs a “reload” spray on treatment every 6 months or so, with Carpro Relaod, HydroSilex, Topcoat or other similar products.
Sponsored