Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Looking for the speed sensor in the Type R, to plug in a Yelowbox that allows me to recalibrate my speedometer for bigger/smaller wheels/tires.
Service Express showed a crappy pic of it being under the airbox, but not sure if it is showing the Type R location. I plugged the yellowbox into it, but it doesn't turn on. Hoping there is another location ? Also looked around behind driver's wheel for a wheel speed sensor to plug it into, but nothing.
Sponsored

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but..
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone know where the speed sensor is located? Type R ource?t=d&s=l&r=9A259D595DE0D0D4A46536B4FD8D5F65227591003B272B855340620A3401A37F53C1EFD8DDADA1A3

Part 22. https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~sensor~assy~rr~57470-tz5-a11.html

I'm like 99% sure that's an individual wheel sensor and probably not what you're looking for, but it's all I've got right now.

I'm not really finding much on the forums about the yellowbox - seems most people are just letting the car do it's thing. The Type R does fancy shit with our speed sensors by the way - namely high speed cornering assist and tire pressure monitoring. I wouldn't mess with it unless you had to - i.e. tire size changing more than 3%. It might even already correct for the tire size - we're not sure yet.

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Jaydubs, thanks for that diagram. Yes, that's the breakdown of the suspension components w/ wheel sensor. I did not see where my yellowbox could plug into anything in there.
I definitely agree all that stuff is tied in together and I was suuuper sketched trying to make it happen without screwing anything up.
I got a speeding ticket (finally) and I'm trying to adjust my speedometer so that doesn't happen again because OBVIOUSLY it wasn't MY fault, but the miscalibrated speedometer, you see (teehee).... that caused the speeding ticket.
Thanks again for the reply, I really appreciate it. I will definitely keep this diagram for future use.

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
Jaydubs, thanks for that diagram. Yes, that's the breakdown of the suspension components w/ wheel sensor. I did not see where my yellowbox could plug into anything in there.
I definitely agree all that stuff is tied in together and I was suuuper sketched trying to make it happen without screwing anything up.
I got a speeding ticket (finally) and I'm trying to adjust my speedometer so that doesn't happen again because OBVIOUSLY it wasn't MY fault, but the miscalibrated speedometer, you see (teehee).... that caused the speeding ticket.
Thanks again for the reply, I really appreciate it. I will definitely keep this diagram for future use.
Yeah, unless you're doing some absolutely ridiculous tire size changes (3% +/- is the max recommended) your speedometer will still be within 3mph of accuracy up to 100mph. Whatever your plans may be or whatever you're trying to accomplish, I would strongly recommend you do not mess with the individual wheel speed sensors whatsoever or if you do, don't leave it on there.

I believe the yellowbox was really designed to go between the instrument cluster and an analog speed signal - not between the actual speed sensors and ECU. I'm not sure we even have somewhere to splice into it since our instrument cluster is entirely digital, and there isn't any example of anyone ever doing this on a 10th gen civic. I think our cars just automatically correct for it.

That being said, can you post that picture of where you're 'supposed' to plug it into?

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Trying to post the 2 pics I have from (pretty crappy) Service Express....

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone know where the speed sensor is located? Type R speedsensor

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone know where the speed sensor is located? Type R speedsensor2

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
That is where I plugged in the yellowbox and believe me, it didn't just click right in. Felt reeeeeally wrong but it did eventually lock into place and all the terminals did look like they should have lined up properly. Turned the car on and nothing from the box at all, no lights, nothing. Instrument panel immediately shows 2 CEL's, the same ones that showed with the recall issue.

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
Yeah, that's the K20C2 which is the naturally aspirated engine in 10th gen EX/LX. We have the K20C1. Very different engines. It also looks like what they are showing is on the transmission assembly, which is going to be hugely different.

That particular connector type is common (i have them in my 2007 Mazda rx8!) and doesn't guarantee that two harnesses were meant to be connected.

Doesnt mean that isnt the right spot for it, though.

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the info Dubs.
Well, yellowbox says try splicing all their wires to correct speed sensor wiring, which I am absolutely not gonna do. I have no clue where to do that and which wires to cut/splice and I'm not about to be the guinea pig. So they're gonna give me a full refund and I'm shipping it back to Australia. Oh well. I spent half a day figuring out how to remove the airbox safely without breaking any weak plastic parts, then spent the other half trying to get the yellowbox to work, which it never did. I'm over it.
Btw, the air filter needed replacing pretty bad, after 25,000 mostly balls to the wall driving teehee it's harder than you think to get to it. Good luck everyone.