Anyone know if a Pilot/Odyssey overhead console with sunglasses holder will fit?

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring - White
Country flag
I recently purchased a 2018 Civic Touring Sedan w/sunroof and have read the posts about adding the OEM Homelink module from the Pilot, Odyssey and Accords...that is on the to-do list for sure.

But I'm wondering when buying the used consoles on Ebay, if we could use the entire console (instead of just swapping the Homelink module) to take advantage of the sunglasses holder. I know the headliner opening would need to be enlarged a bit, but I'm not sure if there is enough clearance above for the sunglasses compartment, as well as enough room in front of the sunroof opening.

The overhead sunglasses storage would be another great addition, along with the Homelink functionality, to such a great car.
Sponsored

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like yourself, I want to do this same project.
I bought an overhead console from a junkyard 2013 Odyssey Touring. Conveniently, it has the same sunroof control as a sunroof equipped Civic does.
I measured the length of the opening in the Odyssey headliner that my donor overhead console came out of.... 8 1/2”.
There is physically enough length on the Civic headliner and it has the proper contour to fit the Odyssey unit.
Life’s been a bit busy, so I haven’t yet removed the overhead console in my own Touring to verify there’s nothing in the way above the headliner.
If it’s completely open above the headliner, as in no metal structure in the way, it would just be a matter of cutting an appropriate sized hole and hooking in the Odyssey console. The front attaches in exactly the same way the Civic console does.
Splice in for Homelink and Bob is your uncle.
Once I can allot time for this, I’m gonna pull my overhead out and look above the headliner. If there’s stuff in the way up there and it’s a no-go, I’ll just wire in the Homelink and be happy with that.

OP
OP

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like you're one step ahead of me, as I am still on the lookout for a decent priced light grey Homelink console that comes with the Homelink connector...I see several consoles out there but they never seem to come with th harness/connector. I'll be curious to see what you find, if you get a chance to take a look at yours before I do (I hear you on the "life's been a bit busy" thing :)). Thanks for the info.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I did this in my 8th gen. It was a PITA. It was very hard to get an exact color match, and after that trying to cut the opening exactly right with out over cutting, Then finding a way to support it, wiring, etc...

If you are looking for integrated home link, going with a gentex 536 mirror is far easier. I have one in my 17 SI now.

Jase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring WOP
The 2019 Civic has HOMELINK available so that might be an option even if it doesn't solve the sunglasses issue. I bought a unit on eBay from a 2016 Accord but only used the Homelink portion of it.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like you're one step ahead of me, as I am still on the lookout for a decent priced light grey Homelink console that comes with the Homelink connector...I see several consoles out there but they never seem to come with th harness/connector. I'll be curious to see what you find, if you get a chance to take a look at yours before I do (I hear you on the "life's been a bit busy" thing :)). Thanks for the info.
I had sinus surgery today, so you might well beat me to the finish line.

OP
OP

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did this in my 8th gen. It was a PITA. It was very hard to get an exact color match, and after that trying to cut the opening exactly right with out over cutting, Then finding a way to support it, wiring, etc...

If you are looking for integrated home link, going with a gentex 536 mirror is far easier. I have one in my 17 SI now.
This does seem like an easier solution to get the Homelink functionality and retain that OEM look, but I have read where installing the Gentex mirrors on a car with Honda Sensing can be a pain. Do you know if the Gentex auto dim mirror with Homelink is plug and play, or is there modification needed to the harness plug, etc. to make the connection on a Touring with Honda Sensing?

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
This does seem like an easier solution to get the Homelink functionality and retain that OEM look, but I have read where installing the Gentex mirrors on a car with Honda Sensing can be a pain. Do you know if the Gentex auto dim mirror with Homelink is plug and play, or is there modification needed to the harness plug, etc. to make the connection on a Touring with Honda Sensing?
They are pretty straight forward. For home link you would just need a + switched signal and a ground. If you went all out with a homelink/auto dimming mirror you would need a switched +, ground, reverse + signal and optionally a + signal from interior illumination.

I dont know about Honda sensing compatibility, but for my SI all I needed was the mirror and I wired it myself. I also purchased a wire cover that is universal for gentex mirrors.

OP
OP

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I finally found an overhead console in the right color with the Homelink option. It came in today and I checked to see if I could use the entire console from the Odyssey donor vehicle to take advantage of the sunglasses holder functionality. Unfortunately, the answer is no, it will not fit. There is enough room to cut the correct sized hole for the larger console, but there is bracing/support right in the way of where the sunglasses holder would go. Maybe this would work on a non-sunroof car, but it is a no-go for cars with a sunroof. Oh well, at least I will have the Homelink functionality with an OEM look and I can ditch my garage door opener remote. Now, if only my Homelink connector harness would get here so I can wire it up.

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Would you be able to post how to remove the existing? Is this easy or tricky to do without breaking it?

OP
OP

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would you be able to post how to remove the existing? Is this easy or tricky to do without breaking it?
It is very easy to remove.
1. Pop out the map light covers (I used a small flat screwdriver and pried between the front and back of each of the plastic light covers. Once you feel one pop loose you'll see how they need to come out)
2. Remove the two screws (facing upward) at the front of the console with a Phillips screwdriver.
3. Drop the front of the console down and slide the whole thing forward (there are two tabs on the console holding the back of the console that slide over the headliner that need to clear in order for it to be removed)
4. Unplug the wire connectors

The Homelink module fits perfectly and looks just like it came that way from the factory. I followed the wiring instructions from another thread on the Homelink mod, and it worked like a charm.

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks. I bought a messed up console with the homelink module in it but it didn’t have the wiring plug.

OP
OP

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks. I bought a messed up console with the homelink module in it but it didn’t have the wiring plug.
The console I bought didn't have the harness included either, so I bought a Honda Homelink connector that came with 6" of wire off of Ebay. Do an Ebay search for "Genuine Honda Acura 5-Pin GRAY Connector Pigtail HomeLink Garage Door module". I needed the gray, 5-pin connector and assume yours is the same. I think only the newer Homelinks have the 7-pin connectors.