KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Anyone here owns 2017+ CRV 1.5? A friend of mine is thinking to trade in his 2011 civic for one, but can't decide if it worth it for his family of 5... will 1.5 be enough to haul around 5 people with their bags? (they travel a lot from SF to Tahoe/Tahoma)
what is the real world difference in MPG for 1.5 AWD and 2WD?
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Why not get an Odyssey or Pilot instead? The CRV is more on the smaller end of crossovers/SUV's I would say that he would be better off with a Pilot or an Odyssey as long trips with someone sitting in the middle seat can get annoying really fast. Those two cars will give you the third row seat which will be 100x more comfortable than sitting in the middle seat. Especially since he has a family of 5, i'd say picking one of those vehicles up would be better in the long run and he could also keep it longer. If he wants to save money, you can easily pick up a couple year old used example with low mileage and call it a day. Plus don't forget they both have the buttery smooth V6 engines that will be better than the 1.5 in the CRV.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The engine should be able to handle the load but unless 3 of the 5 people are little kids the suspension won't be happy. The 06 CRV I used to own didn't like 5 adults with luggage, it would bottom out occasionally

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
My wife has a 2018 CRV and it's a great car for now since we only have 2 dogs and a baby on the way.

I can see any more than 2 kids needing more room for long trips, especially when you take into account luggage.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey there. I own a RW2 after owning 2 Rs, an EP3 and a FN2. The car is really spacious and handles extremely well. My dad owned past 3 gens of Vs so I can tell for sure that the AWD is amazing in comparison to previous versions.

Im looking to modifying but there is nothing bolt-on for it. The MAF sensor housing is identical to the Si, so I ll go for a PRL SRI and figure out myself how to install it. Unfortunally no intercooler fits perfectly despite the civic Si being the same size. Most people owning this car have no intention whatsoever to tuning it so it makes sense for companies not to develop products for it.
Next week I ll have custom backboxes installed but I wont change the exhaust piping yet. No HONDATA or Ktuner for mine as of yet, as it is EUDM manual transmission.

In any case the similarities to the Si are plenty. A lot of DIY has to be done on my side but the engine can handle it obviously judging by the Si and the chassis can surely cope. The brakes are rather big with the front calipers being 2-piston instead of the usual 1, with 312mm front discs and 310mm on the back.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...and here I am cramming 5 in a Civic w/o a care in the world. Did it in a 9th too that was smaller, with a rear facing car seat initially. IMO the CRV being a bit bigger would be fine.

As to the Odyssey, the J35s are great other than the VCM which can be disabled. The 6 speeds are ok. New top trims get 10 speeds, others get 9. I know the 9 speeds were unliked in Acuras. Price point us higher though... hard to touch one new much under 30k... and you can easily touch the mid-40s. The powertrain and suspension isn't all that great for towing... but you get more capacity than the CRV which I think is limited to 1500 lbs vice 3500. On the good side... there's a lot if room. I can fit 4x8 sheets of plywood easily with the mid-row out.

I never looked to hard at a Pilot but it seemed like a mini-van package without the minivan convenience. Same powertrain. Same limited towing. Not suited for off road. Less interior room. Basically a big crossover for minivan holdouts.

He should go and crawl all over all 3. Take the whole family... car seats included if there's little ones. No reason not to be sure. Any of the choices will be bigger than an 8th gen.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone here owns 2017+ CRV 1.5? A friend of mine is thinking to trade in his 2011 civic for one, but can't decide if it worth it for his family of 5... will 1.5 be enough to haul around 5 people with their bags? (they travel a lot from SF to Tahoe/Tahoma)
what is the real world difference in MPG for 1.5 AWD and 2WD?
Got the 2WD '17 here. No problem with luggage space and power. Plenty of room and comfy on long trips for family of 4. For five people, I'd consider the new Passport or Pilot unless two or three of them are kids. AWD is recommended for snowy areas (Tahoe/Tahoma). Good luck.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...do climb in the very back of those 3rd rows when you cross shop. Some are fine for adults for long trips. Some are not. He had to decide what he wants. I've driven with 8 in the Odyssey (at capacity) with adults in the back and it is fine. Some trims go to captains chairs and don't have a bench so you can't seat 3 across. The bench on the Odysseys center comes out to have a path to the back. For max cargo, it is nice to seat 3 across in the 2nd row and fold down the rear so you have a huge rear area. The rears have a folding... kind of 70 30 split.

Again, they should check them all out. I was underwhelmed with a Pilot coming from an Xterra. It didn't have the advantages of a body on frame vehicle, but lacked the convenience of the minivan. I really think these only make sense for people who swear they'll never own a minivan. I will say, I did look and the newer pilots have 5000 lbs towing. Last gen are the same as the Odyssey... which is a leg up. Newest pilots may offer more over last gens. They still lack 3rd row legroom, storage behind the 3rd row and the amount of storage when the 3rd row is down. Your friend has to prioritize. He's current gen on the CRV '17 and up. Odyssey is '18 and up. Pilot is '19. That means on the used market, your friend could probably score a current generation lease return later this year for a great price if he's looking used. Cars that are only a year old don't seem to be a much better deal than new. You start to see good depreciation discounts after a few years.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
My wife gets about 30 to 31mpg normally on her 2018 2WD EX-L CR-V. She got the heated steering wheel accessory.

Worth every penny

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Following this thread, potentially getting a CR-V in the near future. It would look good parked next to my Civic :)
Sponsored