Anyone Got Double Taxed When You Bought Your Car Out of State?

dn7309

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
Country flag
Did anyone here bought their CTR out of state and had to pay taxes twice?

I thought the dealer just send the tax to your home state where you plan to register and thats it.
Sponsored

GAT305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR Crystal Black
Country flag
I live in Florida bought mine in Indianapolis and had no issues with dbl taxes. I transferred tag from trade in to CTR. Did you transfer or get new tag?

darkborne

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Live in Michigan, purchased in Ohio. I paid Michigan tax rate in Ohio, nothing after the fact

maverick

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR
Country flag
No, you should not be taxed twice. I bought in Ohio and live in Washington, dealer did not charge sales tax and I returned to WA and paid sales tax when I registered the car. The dealer intentionally did so, and when I was at the DOL here in WA, the clerk mentioned that if I had paid OH sales tax I would have to go to the department of tax to sort it out (so that I would not pay double).

I hope that wasn't the case for you.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Live on Indiana bought the car on KY and paid Indiana taxes. You shouldn't be taxed double.

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
I live in Florida bought mine in Indianapolis and had no issues with dbl taxes. I transferred tag from trade in to CTR. Did you transfer or get new tag?
did you get yours from fishers Honda? sorry a little off topic but I'm from Indianapolis so was just curious.

GAT305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR Crystal Black
Country flag
did you get yours from fishers Honda? sorry a little off topic but I'm from Indianapolis so was just curious.
I believe it was Ed Martin Honda

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
Country flag
Yeah agreed I ve never heard of double taxing. Sounds like BS to me if thats what the dealer is telling you.

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Ive been buying/selling cars out of state for YEARS - never heard of such BS til I joined this forum.

You have to register the vehicle in the state you reside in/drivers license. You pay sales tax ONLY for the state you reside in - regardless of where the purchase was made. Why would it be any different?

Unless some state has some bizarre law Ive never heard of - this should be a complete non-issue.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
My understanding is it dependent on which state you purchase in and how. When I bought my current car from a San Diego dealer, I was specifically told that if I took delivery there as opposed to having it shipped and received here, they were required to collect CA taxes. I had planned on doing a fly in drive out I even contemplated having it shipped to AZ and driving it back but just waited for it arrive.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Paid NV tax at the DMV. Trooptype-R paid tax at dealership but was sent his tax back in a check. Since his paperwork stated he paid tax, DMV only charged the difference in tax. So lucky. ..

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
Paid NV tax at the DMV. Trooptype-R paid tax at dealership but was sent his tax back in a check. Since his paperwork stated he paid tax, DMV only charged the difference in tax. So lucky. ..
That is actually exactly how my dealer is doing it. Zimbrick Honda in WI. They did the CO tax on it and then they said they'd send the check for me to take with me to the DMV to do just that, pay the difference. :)

CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I dont know why you need to pay double tax. Either you pay the tax at the dealership or pay when u register back at your city. You have a choice to pay whichever/city has the lower tax rate and the tax% is base off of city/county/state(i think).

If you decide to pay taxes out of state, make sure you agree on the tax payment cause some stealerships leave out one or the other(city-county-state tax) and when you go get your tags, your dmv will ask for the rest.

Last edited:

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Up here in Canada I am in Alberta where we have no provincial sales tax and a few times have bought parts from Ontario where they have charged me Ontario sales tax. The Canadian government has forms you fill out and mail with a copy of the receipt and in about four weeks you get a reimbursement check. I would have to imagine the US government has a similar setup.

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
Did anyone here bought their CTR out of state and had to pay taxes twice?

I thought the dealer just send the tax to your home state where you plan to register and thats it.
Why did you pay tax twice?
  • The only time you pay tax is when you register the vehicle in order to plate it, so whatever state you paid tax to that wasn't the state you registered the vehicle in, you need to contact the office you sent the tax check to for guidance on how to have those funds refunded. (The tax is paid while at the DMV submitting your plate application.)
  • If the dealer registered the vehicle for you, which they should not have done if you're an out of state buyer, you'll need to contact whatever DMV office they registered it with for guidance on how to fix the issue and receive a refund.
Sponsored