Anyone else using stock wheels for winter?

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
i know the general consensus is Steel or cheap alloys for winter but I’m curious if anyone runs stock for winter? I dont hate the ex stock wheels but idk they seem like they’d be good for winters
Sponsored

BigDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe, '01 Silverado
Country flag
I've got Blizzaks mounted on my stock Si rims for my winter tires. Bought some nicer rims for summer tires.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I did the opposite. I bought rims for the winter and using the stock wheels for summer.

it's better to get separate rims for the seasons. Mounting and balancing is expensive as hell unless the place you bought the tires off of does cheap swaps for the summer

Last edited:

FR32H OJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got Blizzaks mounted on my stock Si rims for my winter tires. Bought some nicer rims for summer tires.
I'm running exactly the same: Blizzaks on my stock 17's then have some nice Raijin 18's for the rest of the year

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm running exactly the same: Blizzaks on my stock 17's then have some nice Raijin 18's for the rest of the year
I too run the lighter Raijin 18s for summer and have some Nokian Hakkapeliittas on the factory wheels for winter. The Nokians are an awesome tire and I've been getting up to 45mpg with them as they are rated as ultra low rolling resistance.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always wonder if Snoop Dogg uses Blizzaks!;) I feel bad for ya'll living up north that have to deal with all this wheel swapping!

minitech

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI 4 door
Country flag
So far how are you liking your Blizzaks ? I just got 12 inches of snow down here in NC and i am looking for a good winter tire. The stock all season goodyears are awful in the snow.

FR32H OJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So far how are you liking your Blizzaks ? I just got 12 inches of snow down here in NC and i am looking for a good winter tire. The stock all season goodyears are awful in the snow.
I just bought the tires on black Friday so they're not on the car yet. I'll let you know in a week or two but from the reviews hopefully they'll work very well for the few times ill be driving in snow.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check Craigslist for snow tires they're usually brand new and already on steelies or aftermarket rims. I have had blizzaks thyre ok..dunlop wintermaxx are decent too. In NC I deff wouldn't invest in buying a brand new winter setup tho

CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring, Blue
Country flag
I got winter tires on the steel wheels, but I've only needed them for 1-2 days when a snowstorm hit, they really helped then, so many other cars were either going 10-15 mph on the road or were in the ditch. The funny thing is that the weather has been warm enough to melt almost all of the snow (all gone on roads and yards/parking lots except for the large piles which are now small piles)
I guess I almost wonder if I will be even using these tires I have gotten (I usually wish for no snow, though after spending the money for the tires I guess I was hoping for some more use, but its not even xmas so theres still plenty of winter weather left)

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Cheap alloys are only like 30 bucks cheaper than steel rims, so why not.

Also I use the most open rims that I can. You'll know why the first time you get 2 pounds of snow and ice trapped in the wheels and you're on the side of the road digging it out.
Sponsored