Anyone else using, or planning to use, their CTR for work/business travel?

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2004 CR-V
Country flag
Hello all!

Part of me feels goofy for asking this, considering the capabilities of the CTR, but is anyone using, or planning to use, their CTR for everyday travel? Work travel? Business travel?

I travel 35 minutes to and from work, mostly on the highway. Occasionally I also travel to our other 4 plants, one of which is over a 3 hour drive. My biggest gripe with traveling was not having the power to really pass people when idiot traffic on the highway decided everyone should ride the left lane. I also like taking turns really fast. My older civic wasn't horrific, but it definitely could not respond to the pedal as fast as I wanted and is starting to show its age. Hence, the CTR.

I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who is doing, or going to do, something similar. I plan on using the car for nice road trips with the wife as well. I will probably take the car to the track at some point, and really open her up, but that was not my main goal. I saved my older civic for winter travel. I truly bought the car to have fun driving it though, and I can honestly say I am and to me that is good enough. Let me know what you all think.
Sponsored

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
I will be using it as a DD for the first year or two and commute 35ish mile each way to work.

vade_R

First Name
william
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW type-R, 04' suzuka blue s2000, 13' sakhir orange ///M5, 16' graphite grey escalade esv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i use it to go to work about 1 or 2 days per week, 30 minute drive all highway, depending on weather. will take turns with the M5, S2k, for the commute. i will mostly use it on weekends , but definitely not on rainy days

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag
I use mine to go to work 5 days a week and pick up my son at daycare. Daily commute is about 30mile mixed city and highway. I plan on loading up a few things today into it to take to my storage unit. This my daily.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
Drive mine daily (60 miles work days) and swap with the Z on top down days. Looking for a winter rat like a 80's or 90's Civic or Accord. I like driving my cars, but I also like to keep them clean. I've given the CTR a lot of thought about winterizing and driving it in a North East Ohio winter. I would be looking at tires and rims, front brakes, removing some trim. I should be able to pick up a thousand dollar rat and save all that hassle on the CTR.

OP
OP

Infinity000

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2004 CR-V
Country flag
Excellent. I'm happy to already see a few that are doing the same. Interesting that our drive mileage/time is all about the same too, heh. If Indiana weather keeps up the trend, it may turn into a 12 month car with the crazy warm winters lately.

InitialDougie

1st PMM CTR delivery & only 2017 Sold @ MSRP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, RSX Type S, CTR
Country flag
My CTR is a three-season daily driver.

Ive got 1333 miles on it already :)
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone else using, or planning to use, their CTR for work/business travel? IMG_6932.JPG

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drive it almost every day. I have a couple cars to choose from, but on weekends, it hauls tires to the track for the GT3.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
My CTR is a three-season daily driver.

Ive got 1333 miles on it already :)
IMG_6932.JPG
85% tire life remaining already? ;) (I kid. Or, do I?)

On a serious note, I'd be very curious to know how much tread depth remains at ~1,300 miles compared to the tread depth of a new OEM tire to help validate Honda's claim that these $1,600 tires may last less than 10,000 miles. I'm guessing 9/32", but neither Tirerack.com nor Continental's website list this spec. Perhaps someone else can measure their tread depth on a new tire.

EDIT: Continental's website lists the tread depth as 9/32" for the SportContact 6 tire, although not specifically for the size used on the Type R. It should be the same, though. If Honda's statement is correct, the tires can be expected to lose about 1/32" of tread every ~1,500 miles. Imagine having to change tires almost as often as the Maintenance Minder instructs you to change the oil! The Type R could get very expensive to maintain as a DD. :(

Last edited:

InitialDougie

1st PMM CTR delivery & only 2017 Sold @ MSRP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, RSX Type S, CTR
Country flag
85% tire life remaining already? ;) (I kid. Or, do I?)

On a serious note, I'd be very curious to know how much tread depth remains at ~1,300 miles compared to the tread depth of a new OEM tire to help validate Honda's claim that these $1,600 tires may last less than 10,000 miles. I'm guessing 9/32", but neither Tirerack.com nor Continental's website list this spec. Perhaps someone else can measure their tread depth on a new tire.
I will measure it soon and let you know

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
12 months out of the year to get to/from wherever life may take me. (Hooray for the one-season state.) Considering I don't plan on keeping it locked up in a storage unit for resale later, I don't mind the miles.
Sponsored