Anyone else upset about lack of OEM Navigation?

hjstrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
After extensive research and many phone calls to multiple dealers, I now understand that the 2017 Civic Si will NOT have Navigation as an option, offering instead Apple Car Play for those with IPhones. I spent several hours yesterday researching Apple Car Play performance and came away concerned. I have a 2016 Honda Civic Si with Navigation and use it ALL the time, even in local area when heading home on streets I know. I have a hard time believing that 11 years later, I am unable to purchase a new Civic Si (mine has 175,000 miles and I love it) with Navigation. I wonder what they were thinking If you drive into parts of West Virginia, there is NO cell phone coverage which means you will have NO navigation apparently. Hard to believe they don't have some high end options available for those that can afford it. Its a great car, but I think no OEM Nav is going to preclude me from purchasing a 2017. Maybe Honda will fill that in 2018 along with some other gripes I am reading about here like the LED lights.
Sponsored

OP
OP

hjstrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
After extensive research and many phone calls to multiple dealers, I now understand that the 2017 Civic Si will NOT have Navigation as an option, offering instead Apple Car Play for those with IPhones. I spent several hours yesterday researching Apple Car Play performance and came away concerned. I have a 2016 Honda Civic Si with Navigation and use it ALL the time, even in local area when heading home on streets I know. I have a hard time believing that 11 years later, I am unable to purchase a new Civic Si (mine has 175,000 miles and I love it) with Navigation. I wonder what they were thinking If you drive into parts of West Virginia, there is NO cell phone coverage which means you will have NO navigation apparently. Hard to believe they don't have some high end options available for those that can afford it. Its a great car, but I think no OEM Nav is going to preclude me from purchasing a 2017. Maybe Honda will fill that in 2018 along with some other gripes I am reading about here like the LED lights.
I should have said I have a 2006 Honda Civic Si with 175,000 miles.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I had nav in my 2012 Si and now my 2017 hatch... but I still use Waze all the time on my phone instead.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I like the factory nav on mine better than Google Maps through Android Auto, so yeah, I'd be upset about that too.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
GARMIN MASTERRACE

Tonezorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Series.Yellow BRZ, 2014 Legacy, 2015 Crosstrek. Previous: 2011 Miata GT PRHT 2009 Forester XT, 2007 Cobalt
I'm more upset about the lack of other features, like proper blind spot monitoring, remote start, emergency braking, lane keep assist, and radar cruise control.

I'd also like the rear seats to have AC vents.

rje58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2017 6-speed manual
Country flag
Personally I'm glad my Civic doesn't have nav - I much prefer the nav capabilities of my cell phone. New cell phone every year or two = state of the art nav forever. Yes, I can download maps ahead of time in case of lack of signal.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
After extensive research and many phone calls to multiple dealers, I now understand that the 2017 Civic Si will NOT have Navigation as an option, offering instead Apple Car Play for those with IPhones.
You should have come here first. We knew over a month ago that the 2017 Si no longer offered factory navigation. ;)

I'm more upset about the lack of other features, like proper blind spot monitoring, remote start, emergency braking, lane keep assist, and radar cruise control.

I'd also like the rear seats to have AC vents.
Fortunately, I have all that in my Ridgeline.
Unfortunately, I have all that in my Ridgeline.

WHAT? Read on...

The blind spot monitoring is great - so is emergency braking, lane keep assist, and adaptive cruise, although they can contribute to lazy, inattentive driving. (Guilty.) When I drive a vehicle without those features, I run off the road and crash into things because I'm so used to the vehicle doing much of the driving for. (Not really, but close.) So, I think they're incredibly neat, they make driving more comfortable and convenient, and can save your rear if you're not paying attention, but it is also VERY easy to rely on them too much.

Plus, they systems aren't perfect. Lane keep assist slowly oscillates from side to side at times like a drunken teenager. It'll often keep you from leaving your lane (provided it's well-marked and the road is straight), but your tires will frequently touch the lane markers. Emergency braking doesn't like oncoming traffic around curves or being behind people turning into parking lots. There have been occasions where the system panics and brings me to a scrunching, unexpected, and unnecessary halt. Adaptive cruise works really well, except it's slow to resume - by the time it decides it's okay to speed back up, six cars will have cut in front of you. :)

So, while those features are neat toys and I suppose if they help avoid just one collision, injury, or death, then they're worth it. I can't help but worry, though, that many drivers might be better off without them.

I'll probably leave Lane Watch off on my Si. I had it on my CR-V and got used to it then missed it in my Ridgeline which gave up Lane Watch in favor of blind spot and cross traffic monitoring (which is AWESOME).

I've made it through a Texas Winter and a Texas Summer without using remote start. Why? I'm a tight-wad and don't like wasting fuel. The vehicle heats and cools quickly enough without much need to pre-heat or pre-cool. I'm sure it's nice for cold climates, though.

The lack of rear A/C vents (especially on the sedan) is almost inexcusable - even at the Si's price.

Tonezorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Series.Yellow BRZ, 2014 Legacy, 2015 Crosstrek. Previous: 2011 Miata GT PRHT 2009 Forester XT, 2007 Cobalt
Zroger! Go mow the lawn or something, man! You're going to have so much to catch up on after you pick up your Si you won't be able to drive it! :spaz:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Zroger! Go mow the lawn or something, man! You're going to have so much to catch up on after you pick up your Si you won't be able to drive it! :spaz:
I can't mow the lawn (which does need mowed) right now, anyway, because...I'm...at work! (Shhh...) :eek:

Seriously, though...work has been busy and stressful lately. The Si and this forum have obviously been keeping me busy as well. If there's any light at the end of the tunnel, it's that I was able to find exactly the Si I wanted at a price I was willing to pay with zero haggling. Honestly, I'm dreading the 8-hour round-trip drive to go get it this afternoon. I'll be glad when I pull up in my garage with it later. Unfortunately, that "later" means around 1 o'clock in the morning - hours past my normal bedtime. ZZZzzz...

:coffee:

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
I'll take Android auto/apple car play and their maps services over factory nav any day

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I'll admit I was a little disappointed finding this out. However having never used android auto and after reading many positive reviews I'm excited to try it out. I've always used Garmin based navigation systems and they've been excellent. However there are times when even with the newest map data I can't find a certain place, like it doesn't exist. I will say that anytime that happens, Google maps is way more up to date in that area and can find It instantly. Plus no more having to update via flash drive to your pc anytime one is available. Just update Google maps thru your phone and you're done. Google maps is always and forever updating their ui as well to make it better in every way. Garmin, tho efficient has stayed pretty much the same for years and years.
Sponsored