Anyone else tired of nervous passengers causing distractions?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
So I love my type R. I like to drive a bit fast. It is why I bought a fast car. But I am about over my family being nervous passengers. Now it is not just because of the type R. I have one of those families that no matter what Im driving ....AHHH.. oh I didn't think you saw that truck. EHHH... there was a guy coming in the other lane. This cars up there ( like 700 yards away mind you) are slowing down. Look out for that car way over there they might turn......

AHHHH Jesus Christ shut up. I swear they are gonna cause an accident . Every time someone out of nowhere is all ehh or ahhh or what ever makes me think there is something I dont see and makes me take my eyes off what i should be looking at.

So passengers please sit down hold on and shut up. I have managed to make it to 47 and own over 30 cars and not once have an accident. The only time I have ever come close is when i have a side seat driver that s a nervous passenger.

From now on no passengers in the R. If we go anywhere it is gonna be in the beater ford focus. I want to be able to enjoy the R and I just cant with passengers.
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This thread reminds of this video of Ricardo Patrese driving his hawt wife in a Civic Type R. You don't have to understand Italian to fkn love her reactions. LOL!

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Man, that really sucks. I guess I’m lucky that my situation is the exact opposite. The ladyfriend giggles and says she loves it when I mash the car through a nice corner. Or just mash the throttle at any given time, really. “Hahaha, that was fun! Eeeeee!!!!”

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My wife has pretty terrible motion sickness when she rides in cars so I have to take it easy if she finds herself in the R, or any car I've ever owned for that matter. It's part of the deal, and I'm fine with it. She drives us around 99% of the time and the tradeoff is she doesn't want to vomit after getting somewhere when doing that :)

My daughter on the other hand? She's the devil on my left shoulder... she'd have me sending it out of the school parking lot if she had her way!

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
For craps sake's lady he IS Riccardo Patrese! What did you expect? She is pretty hot though.

Second time the wife got in the Type R with me she cautioned "Only if you don't drive it like a race car!" I laughed but she was serious.

Most people hate to ride rather than drive as they have a feeling of no control. Some are better at stifling the primitive urge to scream out in fear...some not so much.

ucf_bronco

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My recommendation...blindfold them! haha

My wife hates when I corner fast, especially the freeway on-ramps where I come out at the top at 70mph+. It's weird because she likes roller coasters but can't handle the cornering capabilities of the Type R. With that said, she also couldn't handle it in my former car (Acura TL SHAWD).

Now, my 4 and 7 y/o daughters...that's a different story! They love it and can't help but laugh at the feeling they get. I know where they get that from :)

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I've scared my bf a few times in this thing, took a few corners faster than I would have in my previous car (knowing what this car can handle) and I saw him grip the door handle and go "oh, oh" all concerned haha. I've had a couple other passengers but didn't gun it with them, and my friend who is a car guy enjoys the hell out of it. I'd probably be like stfu I'm the one driving here lol

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
If you are really paying attention, their nervous reactions should not bother you. You would have already anticipated the issue and figured out a way to avoid it. You could be proactive and mention all the things you've already seen. I have lots of track driving experience which makes me much more calm about situations that surprise my wife. I've already figured it before it happens while she panics and puts her hand on the dash (you know, right where the airbag is, so if we did get hit, her arm would get rocketed into her face, but I digress). On the other hand, she's seen me avoid things that she never saw nor would have had the reactions to anticipate and avoid. Comes down to managing expectations. You could just shave a few mph off the drive if you know your passengers have issues. If everyone is saying it, maybe they are on to something ;)

If you truly enjoy driving fast (you bought a CTR so I hope so), try a High Performance driving school/program and learn to get your fun out there.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You could be proactive and mention all the things you've already seen.
Ha, having to drive around announcing everything you see so your passenger will stay clam is not really my idea of enjoying driving. The worst part is my girlfriend refuses to drive, hates it, yet insists on narrating my driving and telling me how to.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
So I love my type R. I like to drive a bit fast. It is why I bought a fast car. But I am about over my family being nervous passengers. Now it is not just because of the type R. I have one of those families that no matter what Im driving ....AHHH.. oh I didn't think you saw that truck. EHHH... there was a guy coming in the other lane. This cars up there ( like 700 yards away mind you) are slowing down. Look out for that car way over there they might turn......

AHHHH Jesus Christ shut up. I swear they are gonna cause an accident . Every time someone out of nowhere is all ehh or ahhh or what ever makes me think there is something I dont see and makes me take my eyes off what i should be looking at.

So passengers please sit down hold on and shut up. I have managed to make it to 47 and own over 30 cars and not once have an accident. The only time I have ever come close is when i have a side seat driver that s a nervous passenger.

From now on no passengers in the R. If we go anywhere it is gonna be in the beater ford focus. I want to be able to enjoy the R and I just cant with passengers.
Careful saying you've never had an accident. I'm 46 and been saying it for years, then a freaking cop rear ended me at a stop light.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Careful saying you've never had an accident. I'm 46 and been saying it for years, then a freaking cop rear ended me at a stop light.
Oh i dont believe in bad juju. If somethings gonna happen its gonna happen.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
you did? :rolleyes1:

If you think the R is fast, you have never driven a fast car
Right, so the R is plenty fast. 15 years ago it'd be considered earth shattering. Yes, metrics have changed in that 15 years, but the R is no slouch and family members- you know, those who don't go to the track or even speed through a corner when they're driving- yeah, to them it's plenty fast.

No one gives a shit about "fast" cars here. You clearly missed the point.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Ha, having to drive around announcing everything you see so your passenger will stay clam is not really my idea of enjoying driving. The worst part is my girlfriend refuses to drive, hates it, yet insists on narrating my driving and telling me how to.
Buy her a bus pass for Xmas... Tell her it's either the passenger seat in the R (and complete silence), or it's the bus :D

Also, please be filming and post the video after :D
Sponsored