Anyone else having issues with Google Assistant and Android Auto?

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I've seen at least one other person mention it, so I thought I'd put it here to see if we could come to a solution. Lately, when using Android Auto, and I say "OK Google", the following happens:
  1. The music stops
  2. I do NOT hear the acknowledge beep
  3. The Google Assistant icon dances from the vertical lines to the Assistant circle icon
  4. 10-15 seconds later, I hear the acknowledge beep then the timeout beep almost tripping over each other
  5. The music starts back up
If I try it again, I get the following:
  1. The music stops
  2. I hear the acknowledge beep this time
  3. The Google Assistant icon dances from the vertical lines to the Assistant circle icon
  4. The dancing continues until I tap the screen
  5. The music starts back up
If I tap a text message (so the Assistant will read it to me), I get the following:
  1. The music stops
  2. The Google Assistant icon dances from the vertical lines to the Assistant circle icon
  3. 10-15 seconds later, I get a message that says "Poor Connection"
  4. The music starts back up

I'm not sure if this started happening with an update from the Assistant, or an update with AA (I'm kicking myself for not paying attention). I tried uninstalling all updates to the Google Assistant, but AA won't launch unless the latest version of the Google app - which contains the Assistant of course - is installed. And I can't revert my AA app as it's not a system app so I can only download the latest version from the Play Store.

Just thought about this... I could always go to apkmirror and download older copies of AA. Hmmm.... *scratches chin*

Want to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue, and if there are any successful workarounds. Not being able to use the Google Assistant hands-free kinda defeats the purpose of Android Auto.
Sponsored

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
Wife and I have the same Samsung S7 phone. Settings and permissions on both match, down to the app version of Android Auto, Google, Google Play Music, yada yada. She can tell Google to play music, I can't. With or without the car. All mine will do is play what's already on the phone, which I already have on the USB drive. I'd probably use that feature once every blue moon, but it irritates the hell outta me that I can't figure it out.

OP
OP

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I had issues yesterday with downgrading then installing "Google". That of course includes the Assistant. I remembered that I had enrolled for the Beta version of Google so I unenrolled and then uninstalled all updates. So Google and the Assistant are now working fine on the phone. That also restored my access to say "OK Google, play 3 Days in Darkness by Testament" and it plays. An update to the assistant broke the ability to play locally-stored music on the phone.... instead of it playing what you requested, you'd get "Sorry, that's only available to Google Play Music subscribers. Here, try this Testament station" and then GPM would start playing some random song from who knows where.

Google is aware of the problem, but like most things with Google when they are broken, don't count on them being fixed and time soon (if at all).

Anyway, the problem is that once I install Android Auto, it's going to want to update the Google app. And I'm assuming the same problem will reappear, the one I described in my original post. I'm wondering if I can install AA, and then downgrade the Assistant?
Sponsored