Anyone else having issues when filling the gas tank up? Early stop.

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had this since I bought it, but occasionally, when filling up. The filler will auto-stop early. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it's really annoying. It will constantly stop every 5 seconds even when the car is almost empty. Known issue?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I only had that happen at one particular station and it's quite annoying. I don't think the issue is you car, it's the pump.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always use the first notch on the handle lock. Seems to hold more and not cut off early when it pumps a little slower.

Flyingpiggie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2016 MX-5, 2008 Si
Country flag
I havent had that before but i have had the stupid gas pump stuck before. That was pretty annoying. Took me a good 3 minutes to get it out.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
It is happen only if I fill up too fast, never if slow.

Scathe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I've had this on various cars in the past, but so far not my Civic. Seems to be a pretty common problem with older cars, so I'm surprised to hear of it happening with 2018's. Often times it's related to ventilation in the fuel system (the ventilation is to prevent pressure buildup in the tank; if the ventilation system gets clogged, pressure builds up in the tank, especially when filling up, and this pressure cycling back into the gas pump nozzle triggers the pump to stop). Maybe have it checked out to see if dirt or something got into the vents. When I had this issue with previous cars, I found it happened much less frequently when I put the nozzle barely in, and pumped the gas slowly (like pulling the trigger down maybe 30% of the way), and sometimes holding the nozzle at a slight angle helped as well.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I think the problem is with the pump.
This mostly happens when fills up too fast.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I havent had that before but i have had the stupid gas pump stuck before. That was pretty annoying. Took me a good 3 minutes to get it out.
You might be pulling the nozzle out of the tank in a wrong way. You have to lift the handle a bit then it gets released

bumbobee

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
Not yet but I've only filled up once. Gotta be honest, not a fan of the capless system. Seemed I couldn't properly shake off the drops before taking nozzle out getting more fuel dripping on the black plastic area than I have ever had in any of the cars I've owned. Maybe I need more practice?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Not yet but I've only filled up once. Gotta be honest, not a fan of the capless system. Seemed I couldn't properly shake off the drops before taking nozzle out getting more fuel dripping on the black plastic area than I have ever had in any of the cars I've owned. Maybe I need more practice?
You need patience not practice :p I am sorry if I sounded rude but you have to wait at least 5 to 10 seconds according to Honda or the manual

Wh1SL3R

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX MT Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
I like the capless system since it eliminates the possibility of scratching the paint around the fuel door with a cap, but I've had some dribbling issues too. The manual mentions to let the nozzle sit for 5 seconds after the pump stops but I still get a little spill... Kinda frustrating.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I also vote for it is the pumps fault.

I have only had this happen a couple times and fortunately, never at stations I use on a regular basis.
Sponsored