Anyone else have on and off days with their Si?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Civic can be a little harder to live with it’s flaws if you’ve had a premium brand before. As funny as it may sound, especially being a GM product, the fit, finish and ride were much better on my old Cadillac and I’ve long thought I’d probably have been better suited getting a late model CTS over the Si. As a car to just hop in and burn miles in comfort, it crushes this Civic and since performance models are offered, I think I’d of like daylying something like that more.

Still... I got what I got and I’ll enjoy it while I have it. I doubt I’ll even look on the Honda lot for my next car and even if I do, reply doubt I’d give a Civic more than a glance. I have little brand loyalty. I’ve enjoyed my Zs over the last 20 years but, even as the 350z moved into bargain bin pricing and the 370s fell drastically for the first few years, I never found them interesting.

I enjoy the many good things and am content enough to live with the bad for the time being. By the time I’m back in the market for a car, I have a feeling the landscape is going to be changing in car tech a bit. We’ll see how power trains and driver aids continue to evolve in 5-10 years and whether CAFE gets its bump or if it gets delayed/canceled.

After getting 2 Civics in a row, much at the wife’s request, with another Honda product in the driveway, I’ve had my fill of Honda’s and committed to getting at least one different make next time around. Variety is the spice of life.
Sponsored

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
I'm 40 and occasionally the car is a PITA to get in/out of, mainly I'm just annoyed that I slide against the left side bolster and any additional wear and tear. It's definitely a nice car, but at the end of the day it's a Civic and an economy car at heart so the ride won't be as smooth and hushed as a Lexus LS. All in all, I still love it for what it is and it's fun to drive while also getting 40+mpg driven more sedately. The icing on the cake is that it's a nice fun car for $26K.....which is around $8K less than the AVERAGE price of a new car in America today.

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
Saturday morning, around 7: 30 am, I was at the gym on a elliptical machine.
Through the window in front of me, I could see the parking lot, slighty below.
I could also see my clean car ( when it is - 21 C or - 4 F, the streets are dry )
which was shining at the first rays of sunshine, From 3/4 back, I found it beautiful.
While continuing my training, I asked myself the question : if I had to change,
what other car under 50 K can, $ or 36-37K US $ I would like to have ?
STI, GTI, Stinger, BMW série 2,...and there, I was weighting the advantages
and disadvantages. I was thinking about maintenance costs, consumption,
fiability, behavior, here, with our climate, in the snow and cold... and I didn't
found anything that really interested me.
I come back to my crazy dream, a CTR front end grafted with a SI coupe
rear end, it would be called SIR and I would buy it today even if it existed.

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
I find myself more often wishing I'd bought a truck or an SUV instead of the SI. You can't beat it as far as cost/performance/features for a new car, and I have a blast driving it every day while it sips gas. But when it comes time to toss my mountain bike on the roof rack, or to go to Home Depot, or take my kids and dogs to the park, or drive out to my family who lives way out in the country - I find myself really wishing I had a 4Runner or even just something like a Ridgeline or a Subaru.

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
And again I haven't told you everything because you are going to
think I need to be locked up in a mental hospital.
I"ll make a tunnel in the floor of the body so that a drive shaft
can be run through it. By using Acura parts predominantly, we
would have a SIR all wheel drive.
Please, don't send the ambulance.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
The Civic can be a little harder to live with it’s flaws if you’ve had a premium brand before. As funny as it may sound, especially being a GM product, the fit, finish and ride were much better on my old Cadillac and I’ve long thought I’d probably have been better suited getting a late model CTS over the Si. As a car to just hop in and burn miles in comfort, it crushes this Civic and since performance models are offered, I think I’d of like daylying something like that more.

Still... I got what I got and I’ll enjoy it while I have it. I doubt I’ll even look on the Honda lot for my next car and even if I do, reply doubt I’d give a Civic more than a glance. I have little brand loyalty. I’ve enjoyed my Zs over the last 20 years but, even as the 350z moved into bargain bin pricing and the 370s fell drastically for the first few years, I never found them interesting.

I enjoy the many good things and am content enough to live with the bad for the time being. By the time I’m back in the market for a car, I have a feeling the landscape is going to be changing in car tech a bit. We’ll see how power trains and driver aids continue to evolve in 5-10 years and whether CAFE gets its bump or if it gets delayed/canceled.

After getting 2 Civics in a row, much at the wife’s request, with another Honda product in the driveway, I’ve had my fill of Honda’s and committed to getting at least one different make next time around. Variety is the spice of life.
I hear you brother. I came from more comfortable cars that isolated you from the road, and should have stayed there. But I am glad I got to experience the Si, and I have no regrets I bought it. I do wish though that Honda concentrated a bit more on build and quality like they did for the Accord. The rattles in the A pillars, as well as the noisy HVAC drove me crazy. And they definitely could have done a better job isolating road noise from the cabin. If you compare it to a Toyota Corolla, the build and comfort quality in their newer models is excellent. But maybe because the Si is built for a younger crowd they did not find concentrating on refinement to be as important

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2018 GT350 Track Pack, Hopefully a Soobie one day too
Country flag
And again I haven't told you everything because you are going to
think I need to be locked up in a mental hospital.
I"ll make a tunnel in the floor of the body so that a drive shaft
can be run through it. By using Acura parts predominantly, we
would have a SIR all wheel drive.
Please, don't send the ambulance.
There is a single mass kit now. Eman is selling a kit to retro fit the CTR clutch and flywheel. I think the flywheel goes from 30 something pounds to around 15.

https://www.naperformanceftw.com/ctr-clutch-retro/10thgen-si-hatchback-clutch-and-flywheel-kit

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Zero rattles, with the exception while cranking Beck. Zero shifting issues that's on 3 x gen manuals.
My issues are the hindered performance caused by th electronics. Yes it's the harshest ride so far. I luv it. Some other things I've made a little better than they were,(shifter).

arnbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
Man I feel you. I love this car but living in Canada, driving this thing in the cold is a pain in the ass especially in the mornings. My shifts are crunchy and it feels like I'm breaking something whenever I shift...takes a while to heat the cabin, few rattles, can't coast smoothly in traffic, etc.

However, when things start to heat up, it gets rid of a few of my issues. I have only been driving this since November and it has always been cold so I actually can't wait til spring/summer for me to notice if the effects of the cold.
I can relate to this, when the car is completely warmed up it feels great.

arnbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
Sometimes I love the car, and sometimes I hate it.
Has enough power, good gas mileage,reasonable purchase price, etc,BUT, about 50% of the time I hate shifting it, falling in it or out of it, lack of comfort, etc.
Maybe I'm getting old?
I can understand where your coming from, I feel the same way some days. But then again, no car is perfect and after over a year of ownership I found these flaws as well. And in a category like the SI, some of these flaws are expected (not as comfortable, not easy to get in and out with seats).

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I have a really great "on" day when one of my friends hops in for a ride and they're completely shocked when they see a manual shift knob. Obviously a lot of people here in the U.S. think manuals are extinct already..Close, but not yet!:headbang:

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
To back fans suggest (if you haven't and have a vinyl player) get the dreams single on 12". Includes music only and a acapella version as well.
I've got several Beck Albums on vinyl... I don't remember if this is one of them, I'll keep an eye out for it!