Anyone else have a Phoenix PX6 10.4" Android HU?

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
I just got my Phoenix PX6 10.4" Android HU and there is no documentation at all included in the box. I know the harness is supposed to be plug-and-play with the stock HU's harness / connections, but I'd like to know the pinout of the connectors of the PX6's harness so I can wire up the car's stock microphone(s) and GPS antenna.

Anyone else have one of these units and the wiring / pinout for its harness?
Sponsored

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Blue Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
No, but following this thread since it's on my list of head unit upgrades (either this one, or the 9" Phoenix or Dasaita on Amazon). About a week ago, I sent an email to Phoenix Auto asking for installation instructions for the PX6 10.4", but never received a reply from them.

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I just got my Phoenix PX6 10.4" Android HU and there is no documentation at all included in the box. I know the harness is supposed to be plug-and-play with the stock HU's harness / connections, but I'd like to know the pinout of the connectors of the PX6's harness so I can wire up the car's stock microphone(s) and GPS antenna.

I have one. I replaced my PX5 unit for this one. The pinout is printed on the unit itself. Everything is pretty much like a puzzle. Match the shapes and you can't go wrong. Here is the instructions for the PX5 unit which is almost a clone.

Attachments

OP
OP

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
Thanks man!

So with these PX5 / PX6 units, are the Civic's stock USB ports still connected and usable with the PX5 / PX6? I purchased the Wireless CarPlay dongle. I'm assuming this will be permanently connected to one of those USB ports?

I kinda have a guide on reusing the stock microphones, but it's not very clear:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/9-af...verview-installation.17034/page-9#post-336847

Finally, do you know if there's any way to use the stock GPS antenna with the PX5 / PX6?

Last edited:

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
Thanks man!

So with these PX5 / PX6 units, are the Civic's stock USB ports still connected and usable with the PX5 / PX6? I purchased the Wireless CarPlay dongle. I'm assuming this will be permanently connected to one of those USB ports?

https://www.civicx.com/threads/9-af...verview-installation.17034/page-9#post-336847

Finally, do you know if there's any way to use the stock GPS antenna with the PX5 / PX6?
All you might have to do is remove the housing. The ends should be the same as long as your car has the OEM navigation cable run.

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport cvt, 2003 Acura RSX (totaled)
Country flag

If you don't mind me asking, when did you buy your radio? I've been waiting over a month for them to even send me tracking information for my unit. Communication doesn't seem to be the best with these guys.

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks man!

You will have 3 USB ports with the system. I used one and mounted it in place of the stock one under the radio. The other 2 I put in the glove box. You more than likely can use the original GPS antenna, I ended up using the included one and mounted it on the dash at the front of the windshield. I am using the built in microphone and have no issues with it. Good luck.

OP
OP

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
If you don't mind me asking, when did you buy your radio? I've been waiting over a month for them to even send me tracking information for my unit. Communication doesn't seem to be the best with these guys.
I ordered mine on November 28 and received it on December 30. It shipped from the factory in China I believe.

You will have 3 USB ports with the system. I used one and mounted it in place of the stock one under the radio. The other 2 I put in the glove box. You more than likely can use the original GPS antenna, I ended up using the included one and mounted it on the dash at the front of the windshield. I am using the built in microphone and have no issues with it. Good luck.
Ah ok so these Android units don't use the existing USB ports in the car? I thought the harness(es) enabled the use of those.

I wish I could find the pinout / wiring diagram of the car side of the harness on the 2017 Sport Touring Hatch.

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Blue Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Question for the folks that currently have the vertical 10.4" head unit...

I understand that it supports split-screen multitasking based on the videos that I've seen. When you turn the car off and on, does it restore the apps previous layout? For example, if you have a navigation app (e.g. Waze) on the top half, and an audio streaming app (e.g. Pandora) on the bottom half, does it show those apps automatically in those same positions when you turn the car on? Or do you have to manually launch them each time?

I believe this unit does not support fast booting and takes about 20 seconds to boot, so I'm concerned that if you have to manually launch your usual apps as well, it could be a while (relatively speaking) until the thing is "ready to go" after you turn on the car.

OP
OP

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
So I never got around to installing this unit and last week when I got back from vacation went to Phoenix's site again to look for anything. I noticed that there's now an Android 9 fast-boot version of this. I contacted Phoenix to see if I could get my still uninstalled unit swapped out with the new Android 9 fast-boot version. I just got the tracking number today for that new unit.

OP
OP

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
I installed mine today. No audio though. It's supposed to be plug-and-play. Plugged all harness in that had a spot in the back of the HU. Turned accessory power on and it powers on and I can use it, but there's no audio.

This is in a 2017 Sport Touring Hatchback. I did purchase a Metra / AXXESS bypass harness (AX-AB-HN1), but thought you only need to use that if you're installing an aftermarket amp.. This bypass harness appears to connect to a harness in the car somewhere. One end has two gray connectors and the opposite of those gray connectors are unterminated wire.

OP
OP

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
Also, lanewatch camera isn't activating when I switch on turn signal. The camera does work. When I open the camera app it shows both the backup and lanewatch cameras' views.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I installed mine today. No audio though. It's supposed to be plug-and-play. Plugged all harness in that had a spot in the back of the HU. Turned accessory power on and it powers on and I can use it, but there's no audio.

This is in a 2017 Sport Touring Hatchback. I did purchase a Metra / AXXESS bypass harness (AX-AB-HN1), but thought you only need to use that if you're installing an aftermarket amp.. This bypass harness appears to connect to a harness in the car somewhere. One end has two gray connectors and the opposite of those gray connectors are unterminated wire.
There is your problem.

What you've done here is hooked the speaker outputs on your new headunit to a connector in the dash that doesn't have any wires that run to any of the car's speakers. That's why you're getting no sound.

To clarify further, the cheaper Civic models have a headunit that powers the speakers. So wires come out of the back of that headunit that go to the speakers, allowing a plug-and-play replacement with a new headunit.

But with yours, the factory headunit doesn't power the speakers. It sends a signal to an amp in the passenger kickpanel, and that amp powers the speakers. So there are two plugs down there behind the kickpanel that have the wires that run to all the speakers. You need to unplug those from the factory amp, plug your AX-AB-HN1 into them, then run the wires from the AX-AB-HN1 to the appropriate speaker output wires coming out of the back of your new headunit.

However, your new headunit probably doesn't have 12 speaker outputs, so that's a bit of a problem. It probably only has four outputs, so you'd probably be best hooking those to each of the four door's 6.5" mids. The tweeters, sub, center, and those two little weird speakers the hatch has in the back won't play anything.

OP
OP

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
That all makes sense. Time to return this HU then and also make note never to buy a car again that has a head unit that's difficult to replace.
Sponsored