OP

Manual_man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Bump. We know people are buying 2020s.

Can we get a comparison on the gearing difference? Thanks...

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Ive watched some youtube car reviewers driving it. It looks like 2nd gear red lines at 53 mph instead of 57 mph in the 17-19s.

From what I can tell, all they did was shorten the ratio of 2nd and 3rd gear, making it a little easier to deal with in slower traffic. Also probably dont have to wait as long for the revs to drop going from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd. That’s probably where your faster 0-60 time comes from. (Or the perception of moving faster for those who don’t use the clutch to pull the revs down more quickly during those shifts)

Edit: ignore, i dont know what im talking about

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ive watched some youtube car reviewers driving it. It looks like 2nd gear red lines at 51-52 mph instead of 57 mph in the 17-19s.

From what I can tell, all they did was shorten the ratio of 2nd and 3rd gear, making it a little easier to deal with in slower traffic. Also probably dont have to wait as long for the revs to drop going from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd. That’s probably where your faster 0-60 time comes from. (Or the perception of moving faster for those who don’t use the clutch to pull the revs down more quickly during those shifts)
Seems to me the 0-60 time reduction will be minimal on the 2020's because you still need that second shift. Like you said, in town it may feel slightly livelier. I guess it depends on where and how you drive. For highway drives, the final drive ratio change would be a negative due to reduced highway mileage caused by the higher rpms.

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Seems to me the 0-60 time reduction will be minimal on the 2020's because you still need that second shift. Like you said, in town it may feel slightly livelier. I guess it depends on where and how you drive. For highway drives, the final drive change would be a negative due to reduced highway mileage compared to the earlier models.
Im sure 5th and 6th are basically the same and cruise at the same rpm. Why would that change highway fuel economy? I don’t think 4th-6th changed. 4th is always a 1.0 ratio to the drive gear, yeah?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Im sure 5th and 6th are basically the same and cruise at the same rpm. Why would that change highway fuel economy? I don’t think 4th-6th changed. 4th is always a 1.0 ratio to the drive gear, yeah?
The final drive was changed. It was shortened by 6% if I recall correctly.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Loving my 2020 Si. The only other Civic I have driven to compare to was my 89 DX hatchback I owned 15 years ago. What a machine that thing was though, couldn't kill it if you tried. Not sure what the old gearing feels like but totally satisfied with how it feels now.

Reactions: mjh

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The final drive was changed. It was shortened by 6% if I recall correctly.
Isn't the final drive ratio just all the gear ratio’s added together? So if 2nd and 3rd gear are shorter, but the other gears were left alone, you add those up and you get a shorter final drive ratio? I don’t know if that is how it works, it’s my guess. Somebody please hit me with the math.

so what you are saying that the car’s top speed is 6% lower and 6th gear doesn't make it as far.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Isn't the final drive ratio just all the gear ratio’s added together? So if 2nd and 3rd gear are shorter, but the other gears were left alone, you add those up and you get a shorter final drive ratio? I don’t know if that is how it works, it’s my guess. Somebody please hit me with the math.

so what you are saying that the car’s top speed is 6% lower and 6th gear doesn't make it as far.
No. https://www.motorauthority.com/news...al-drive-ratio-is-and-how-it-affects-your-car

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully this video will help you understand how final drive ratio works.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
@gtman are we the same person? Lol

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A shorter final drive ratio should mean that the gears should make it further. So why does 2nd gear redline sooner in the 2020?
Sponsored