anyone changed lock alert 'beep' into 'honk'?

rajnmaker

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sport sedan
Country flag
Hi guys i've noticed that 2019 civic LX makes a honk when clicking on lock button multiple times,

while other versions make a beep sound.

I really want the honk because whenever i forget where my car is, I have to press the panic button.

has anyone fixed this issue?
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I had an LX for 3 years before getting an Si and I gotta say that the beep is so much nicer. I hated the horn on the LX. I can hear the beep pretty well from a distance, but if there is other ambient noise in the area it could drown it out.

Ive gone through the vehicles settings a few times and I don't think there is an option to change the lock beep to the horn.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I have a horn as a confirmation for locking the doors in the CR-V and it's way too loud and uncivilized when people are around. Good for finding the car in a big parking lot though.

I have a beep in the civic and it's too weak in a busy area even when beeps are set to the loudest (third level). When I walk away I may need to look back to see blinking lights, if I want confirmation. Which sort of defeats the purpose of the carefree walk away from the car....looking back spoils the whole thing...

I need an adjustable pleasant sound that's not startling everybody around, but still could be heard 10 -15 yards from the car in a noisy place.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I have a horn as a confirmation for locking the doors in the CR-V and it's way too loud and uncivilized when people are around. Good for finding the car in a big parking lot though.

I have a beep in the civic and it's too weak in a busy area even when beeps are set to the loudest (third level). When I walk away I may need to look back to see blinking lights, if I want confirmation. Which sort of defeats the purpose of the carefree walk away from the car....looking back spoils the whole thing...

I need an adjustable pleasant sound that's not startling everybody around, but still could be heard 10 -15 yards from the car in a noisy place.
Im always looking back at mine.... puts a grin on my face everytime

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hi guys i've noticed that 2019 civic LX makes a honk when clicking on lock button multiple times,

while other versions make a beep sound.

I really want the honk because whenever i forget where my car is, I have to press the panic button.

has anyone fixed this issue?
I’ve been working on a fix. I tapped into the signal that goes to the piezo beeper and the line that triggers the horn relay so that I can have a circuit that honks the horn when the beeper goes off. Both signals can be tapped into near the under dash fuse box. I hate analog circuits so I’m using an Arduino Nano to handle the logic, a bit overkill but can get them for under 2 bucks and are they are pretty small. The Arduino can be programmed to give a quick honk that’s not obnoxious or a longer one that is. It could also be programmed to honk the horn a little bit longer for each lock that occurs within a short time span to help locate it in a parking lot but it wouldn’t be obnoxious otherwise. I’m still waiting for some parts to arrive so that I can add a little circuit that will allow the Arduino to turn itself completely off after it’s been idle for a bit, the signal to the piezo will turn the Arduino on.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I finished my mod:

Honda Civic 10th gen anyone changed lock alert 'beep' into 'honk'? circuit
Honda Civic 10th gen anyone changed lock alert 'beep' into 'honk'? box

Honda Civic 10th gen anyone changed lock alert 'beep' into 'honk'? installed

Honda Civic 10th gen anyone changed lock alert 'beep' into 'honk'? harness

Connections to the car: red circle is voltage connection, black arrow is ground connection, yellow circle is the signal that goes to the piezo beeper, green circle is the horn relay control signal.
Honda Civic 10th gen anyone changed lock alert 'beep' into 'honk'? car-connections

Circuit diagram attached:

Attachments

Last edited:

felixlennart

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
@rwsmith123
I know this thread is old but I have an European Civic Touring. It has the same beeper but the software does not let it beep when locking or unlocking the vehicle. I work as a software developer and I know how to code, so building and programming an Arduino would not be a problem for me.
Would there be a similar way to make my car beep? Which wires in the fuse box are for the locking mechanism? I could just connect an Arduino to them and let it trigger the beeper

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
you can beep using canbus too when the factory arm signal is sent. a obd capable arduino can do it without rewiring the car.

felixlennart

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
you can beep using canbus too when the factory arm signal is sent. a obd capable arduino can do it without rewiring the car.
That would be much easier for me than rewiring the car, do you know the OBD Parameter IDs/command names?

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i have it at home it uses the panic CANID frame which you can also use to flash the lights of the car as well. the pulses only last like 10ms so just stream the frame as needed until you're satisfied, ill put the info here whenever i get home

felixlennart

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
i have it at home it uses the panic CANID frame which you can also use to flash the lights of the car as well. the pulses only last like 10ms so just stream the frame as needed until you're satisfied, ill put the info here whenever i get home
Wow that sounds great!
And the OBD-II port is active even when the ignition is off?

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
oh right! sorry! it's BCAN. FCAN on OBD is cut when ignition off. BUT, if you can find the BCAN harness for the 10th gen led lighting kit you can have a plug in option there. BCAN is 125kbps and always running until 20 seconds of inactivity after factory arm signal is triggered on the bus. the arduino is alwways capable of waking up the bus as needed so it's useful if you wanna install glass break or tilt sensors as needed. the rain sensor if you have it has a light and tilt sensor built in as well, thats what brake hold uses on hills and automatic headlights

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ok:

gears are on 0x12F85150 bytes 0 and 1.

doors ajar states are on 0x12F83018 for left doors byte 0, and 0x12F84018 for right doors byte 0.

0x12F8B0A2 is the status of the heated front seats, which can be "pressed" as well (0x12F8B151 for driver byte 0 use 0x80 to press, and passenger side use 0x20 to press) you can nonitor the state to know what heat setting you're at.

0x12F83130 byte 0 shows if left front door is locked
0x12F84118 byte 0 shows if left rear door is locked
0x12F83230 byte 0 shows if right front door is locked
0x12F84218 byte 0 shows if right rear door is locked

keyfob is on 0xEF81218 & 0xEF83318

you can lock/unlock doors on 0x12F83130 @ byte 0 using 0x10/0x12 respectively.

to chirp horn (again stream this until you get your desired result because the BCM overrides it back to 0) 0xEF81418 byte 0 as 0x88. i just mad a function that repeats it X amount of times until it stops. this way i can control how long the horn is active.

this is only BCAN but theres other KWP2000 commands that can also temporary control the BCM stuff like lights, trunk, fogs, etc and other FCAN stuff đź‘Ť

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
What are you using to read the B/F CAN? I'd love to learn how to read it!
Edit: okay you've got an OBD capable Arduino plugged into the port I assume listening?

felixlennart

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
ok:

gears are on 0x12F85150 bytes 0 and 1.

doors ajar states are on 0x12F83018 for left doors byte 0, and 0x12F84018 for right doors byte 0.

0x12F8B0A2 is the status of the heated front seats, which can be "pressed" as well (0x12F8B151 for driver byte 0 use 0x80 to press, and passenger side use 0x20 to press) you can nonitor the state to know what heat setting you're at.

0x12F83130 byte 0 shows if left front door is locked
0x12F84118 byte 0 shows if left rear door is locked
0x12F83230 byte 0 shows if right front door is locked
0x12F84218 byte 0 shows if right rear door is locked

keyfob is on 0xEF81218 & 0xEF83318

you can lock/unlock doors on 0x12F83130 @ byte 0 using 0x10/0x12 respectively.

to chirp horn (again stream this until you get your desired result because the BCM overrides it back to 0) 0xEF81418 byte 0 as 0x88. i just mad a function that repeats it X amount of times until it stops. this way i can control how long the horn is active.

this is only BCAN but theres other KWP2000 commands that can also temporary control the BCM stuff like lights, trunk, fogs, etc and other FCAN stuff đź‘Ť
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful!

I would do it like this:
C++:
int locked = 2;

void loop() {

int packetSize = CAN.parsePacket();

if (packetSize || CAN.packetId() != -1) {

// check if packet is 0x12F83130 (Front door lock state)

if(CAN.packetId() == 0x12f83130 ) {

int currentLockState = CAN.read();

if(locked != currentLockState) {
      locked = currentLockState;

// beep
      CAN.beginPacket(0xef81418);
        CAN.write(0x88);
        CAN.endPacket();
        delay(1000);
      }

}
  }