anyone change oem battery with optima?

Lazerline19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
want to change to an optima yelllowtop 51r I have. Curious did a search could not find a definitive answer to anyone successfully changing theirs fitment wise? Wondering if any moding needs to be done for fitment would appreciate anyone who maybe has one installed to help answer :)
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I have Optima in my sights as a replacement option but I also made up a parts list of all the parts required to change the battery mount for the Canada version that fits a group 35 battery.

The Optima is a very small correctly sized group 51R battery and I doubt anything special is required to fit it aside from the insulating sleeve being a bit loose fitting as the battery is an odd shape.

lucke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe, 2007 LBP S2000, 2017 MLP CR-V Touring
I won't ever use Optima again. They made a great name for themselves in the early 00's, but have not really made a quality product since '12. I went through 4 of them in my S2k before going back to Honda's OEM battery. Certainly was not worth spending ~$175 for the Optima name when it leaves you stranded, when the ~$110 Honda battery is better.

Just my $.02 though

OP
OP
Lazerline19

Lazerline19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
got mine in no problem. and that sucks Lucke I hope that doesn't happen to me mine has worked great in my last 2 civics no issues I just haven't put it in my 10th until tonight just finished went very smooth direct replacement no mads necessary on my 9th gen has to trim some things. I have heard nightmares about optimas I must have been very lucky knock on wood :/ I also had opposite luck with oem Honda battery's in 3 of our 5 civics they all went bad under 1 year.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Optima quality went downhill. I prefer a battery from walmart (don't remember the name). got it for my old corolla and never had a problem in cold climates of chicago.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Costco Interstate batteries are a great price!

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Autozone AGM, great warranty and a great battery. I've had 3, 2 for me 1 for my gf. Gets cold here in Ohio and they crank right up. Helps too if you have autozone rewards. Usually save about $20 or more if I let them accumulate.

drags427

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CIvic SI, 2008 S2000
Country flag
Changed mine to a Bosch AGM when the original started giving me issues.

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black FI FC1 Si ✓
I won't ever use Optima again. They made a great name for themselves in the early 00's, but have not really made a quality product since '12.
Just my $.02 though
This has been my experience. Thought it was just me. Thanks for verifying Optima HAVE in fact gone down hill.

Some brand from walmart was :thumbsup: in my DC5.