ChampwhiteFK8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R
Country flag
God, that's tough. I have thousands and thousands into my Evo. The 4B11T is a great motor, the AWD is a bonus, it's discontinued, I honestly don't know.

I'd probably go with the Honda. My X has given me some stupid issues not related to my own modifications, it's not quite as polished, Mitsubishi sucked to deal with, and there was zero trunk space. It's such a tough choice, though, because the Evo is just hilariously fun. Like Stig_jdm, it rotates easier, but that's probably due to the rear diff and S-AWC. Technologically, the Evo is far superior when it comes to control, but it's also much more complicated.

I'm rambling because I've had a long day. I'd say it's a near-tie between the two. If my Evo were consistently healthy I would have never gotten a second car. But those are the cars I was dealt. You can't go wrong with either platform. Just don't get an STi.
Thanks for your input. I will be in the market for a CTR in a couple months. I have the Evo X as backup in case things don't pan out for the CTR.
Sponsored

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
I recognize you from EvoXForums. I use a different name here, though.
:wave:

If you guys had to pick 1 which one would it be?
As spicymcfatburger said, the Evo X is just more performance. There's really no arguing against that. It still has an un-rivaled AWD system that you probably just couldn't build today in a $40k car (look at the cost cutting in the Focus RS).

But the TypeR would be a better daily without a doubt. Interior of the Evo X was mediocre back then, it would definitely be mediocre next to a TypeR. The hatch space on the Civic is astounding. I could go on but it's really obvious.

$35k-$40k just doesn't buy as much car as it used to. Look at the Focus RS AWD system cost cutting vs the Evo's. The TypeR doesn't have an oil cooler from the factory. Heck, look at what a base Civic or Corolla costs these days. Look at how much people are spending on their average crossover. The Evo X and the TypeR are performance cars built in different times. Fuel economy wasn't as heavy a burden back then. Interiors in general weren't that great back then. Convenience/luxury features back then are laughably standard today. Different cars, different times.

ChampwhiteFK8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R
Country flag
:wave:

As spicymcfatburger said, the Evo X is just more performance. There's really no arguing against that. It still has an un-rivaled AWD system that you probably just couldn't build today in a $40k car (look at the cost cutting in the Focus RS).

But the TypeR would be a better daily without a doubt. Interior of the Evo X was mediocre back then, it would definitely be mediocre next to a TypeR. The hatch space on the Civic is astounding. I could go on but it's really obvious.

$35k-$40k just doesn't buy as much car as it used to. Look at the Focus RS AWD system cost cutting vs the Evo's. The TypeR doesn't have an oil cooler from the factory. Heck, look at what a base Civic or Corolla costs these days. Look at how much people are spending on their average crossover. The Evo X and the TypeR are performance cars built in different times. Fuel economy wasn't as heavy a burden back then. Interiors in general weren't that great back then. Convenience/luxury features back then are laughably standard today. Different cars, different times.
Yea excellently put. Different cars, different times. Both awesome cars regardless. Are the Evo's reliable? Probably not as reliable as a Honda but are they ok?

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Yea excellently put. Different cars, different times. Both awesome cars regardless. Are the Evo's reliable? Probably not as reliable as a Honda but are they ok?
At this point, they're all used cars - so now it's more a question of which one had a better owner. You know - typical owner bashes on __ car because of the younger buyer yadda yadda.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
yeah, I have the CTR, an Evo X and S2000.

I agree with Spicy in general, except for the way they handle. At the track, I feel that the Evo rotates better than the CTR, but I believe that a few tweaks to alignment and suspension will make them close.

The brakes and shifter are much better in the CTR.

The other thing I like better in the Evo is the steering feedback. I feel the CTR a bit numb compared to the Evo. When on R mode, the steering is artificially too heavy for me.

In terms of performance, the CTR delivers more at lower cost (fuel consumption), since it is lighter, more modern, and FWD. The mechanical losses on the AWD are quite significant, which means less WHP.

I am a track addicted and for a track focused car, I still prefer my Evo, but the CTR is better in any other aspect.

As lap times go, here is a quick reference with the same ordinary driver (me):

Track Laguna Seca:
CTR - 1:47.1 bone stock
Evo - 1:44.9 with bolt-ons, tune, RE71-R tires and Ohlins coilovers. (330whp)
Evo - 1:39.6 all of the above, stiffer springs, sway bars, whiteline roll over and ALK, E85 (370whp)

I would expect a bone stock Evo to run 1:48-1:50.

Other observations are, the temperature on the CTR does climb after a few laps (4-5) and fuel starvation at 1/4 tank. The temperature on the Evo is rock solid, and fuel starvation at 3/4 of a tank. Therefore, both have some issues to be sorted out.

I am curious to see what Lap Times the CTR will be able to run when the upgrades are available. The AWD in the Evo is amazing, but the CTR will probably be close with the right upgrades.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the info and nice driving. You mention the temperature does climb on the civic, does it make it through a whole session? Please keep us posted on any overheating issues that develop if you track on a warmer day.

The best times I've gotten at laguna are 1:40.7 in the GT4 (~340 whp) on RE-71R (seems like the best amateurs are in 1:38.x, pro drivers 1:37.x). 1:56 years ago in the WRX (perhaps has a few more seconds in it, but in my experience the engine heat soaks eventually and your power drops making it hard to get in a groove).

Stig_jdm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Evo X, S2000
Country flag
Thanks for the info and nice driving. You mention the temperature does climb on the civic, does it make it through a whole session? Please keep us posted on any overheating issues that develop if you track on a warmer day.

The best times I've gotten at laguna are 1:40.7 in the GT4 (~340 whp) on RE-71R (seems like the best amateurs are in 1:38.x, pro drivers 1:37.x). 1:56 years ago in the WRX (perhaps has a few more seconds in it, but in my experience the engine heat soaks eventually and your power drops making it hard to get in a groove).
Thanks, man. 1:40 in the GT4 is pretty good. I remember passing quite a few of them in the S2k and Type R, but you are right about the times, so you are not too far from them.

I think we should open a topic to share more information about the CTR at the track. Let me do it right now.

akadic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold) CTR 1722
Country flag
Anyone came from an Evo X? I am thinking of trading my Evo X and wondering your thoughts after you switched over to the CTR.
While I am not directly coming from an EVO X to a CTR, I purchased one new in 2008 and had 380whp (dynod) after some mods. I sold it after getting married and also because I got in a lot of trouble with it then :)

I'll give you my point of view from driving it daily to work as an example, mine was a 5 speed manual:

Handling - both cars feel excellent

Interior - I feel the CTR edges the X here, the interior simply feels nicer

Radio/Sound - I feel the CTR is hands down the winner here, Android Auto and Car Play plus a nice stereo (I know these weren't available in 2008 :) )

Space - The CTR wins here, the EVO X actually has a very small trunk, its battery is back there as well

Braking - CTR edges here as well given the lower weight

Acceleration - From a dead stop, the EVOs AWD is a killer here while the CTR is faster from a roll

Tranny - CTR hands down, much better feeling for the shifter and the expected 6th gear is there

Engine/Exhaust note - EVO X hands down here, the CTR doesn't have a good stock exhaust note

Modding - There aren't enough parts for the CTR yet, I had intake, full exhaust, intercooler pipes, hks boost controller and was making 380whp with the EVO. What was mostly surprising is that before the tune, it was putting down 340whp. For now, the EVO definitely has more options

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I owned a 2008 EVO X MR. I really enjoyed the car as it's one of the more fun to drive AWD cars because of the torque vectoring rear differential. Still today there are few more sophisticated AWD systems out there. My only gripe was that outside of the Recaro seats the interior had way too many hard plastics and rattled almost as bad as a Subaru. I'm hoping to get into a Type R but with 2018's already out I wouldn't mind holding out to see what changes the mid-cycle refresh will bring.

Stig_jdm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Evo X, S2000
Country flag
I am impressed how the Type R changed at the track just by changing the wheels and tires. I need to take the Evo to the same track to compare the times, but there is chance that the Type R with with right mods will be faster than the Evo.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I am impressed how the Type R changed at the track just by changing the wheels and tires. I need to take the Evo to the same track to compare the times, but there is chance that the Type R with with right mods will be faster than the Evo.
The EVO X dates back a decade which is an eternity in the automobile world. The fact that we are even discussing a new model car possibly being faster is a testament to how good a performance car the EVO was.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe you should take my R for one session around buttonwillow in a couple weeks since its slightly modified!

Pyru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Prelude, 2017 CTR
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone came from an Evo X? 681891CE-943D-43AC-93D2-58E8100E8434
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone came from an Evo X? 31EED71E-8BBC-4313-B5D8-41883E1B8A91
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone came from an Evo X? 8D3E82D6-E2AF-4BE1-A005-453CEC4ACB58

I don’t know if someone else have posted this results before this was last weekend on Salinas Speedway in Puerto Rico we are already making the EVOs look bad on track!

Last edited:

Stig_jdm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Evo X, S2000
Country flag
The EVO X dates back a decade which is an eternity in the automobile world. The fact that we are even discussing a new model car possibly being faster is a testament to how good a performance car the EVO was.
Agreed. The thing that will always be superior in the Evo is the awd and torque vectoring. Also, there is way more aftermarket parts available.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Nice result for the CTR in PR. I've always wanted to visit; hope the rebuilding proceeds faster and you get some more federal help!
Sponsored