Anyone came from an Evo X?

_leslietu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 S14 & '19 CW CTR
Country flag
Anyone came from an Evo X? I am thinking of trading my Evo X and wondering your thoughts after you switched over to the CTR.
Sponsored

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
well, the CTR would be even worse for drifting than the evo :p

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
Stock for stock, they feel pretty similar. The interior of the CTR, as well as the livability, is infinitely better. There's a usable trunk, comfortable back seats, and semi-decent gas mileage. It's also a bit quieter, and the ability to put it in comfort mode is a plus (though I rarely do).

My X has a built motor and bigger turbo, so it's much quicker and more violent than the CTR, but they handle nearly the same. Ironically, the only car I've ever taken into a ditch was the X during a snow storm. My CTR with snow tires handles better, honestly.

Go ahead and ask questions if you have any, I'll do my best to answer. I've got over 15k miles on the CTR, so I'm really used to it now.

OP
OP
_leslietu

_leslietu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 S14 & '19 CW CTR
Country flag
Stock for stock, they feel pretty similar. The interior of the CTR, as well as the livability, is infinitely better. There's a usable trunk, comfortable back seats, and semi-decent gas mileage. It's also a bit quieter, and the ability to put it in comfort mode is a plus (though I rarely do).

My X has a built motor and bigger turbo, so it's much quicker and more violent than the CTR, but they handle nearly the same. Ironically, the only car I've ever taken into a ditch was the X during a snow storm. My CTR with snow tires handles better, honestly.

Go ahead and ask questions if you have any, I'll do my best to answer. I've got over 15k miles on the CTR, so I'm really used to it now.
Yeah, from what I have been reading the driving fun factor is the same/on par of the Evo X minus the AWD but with better overall livability like you said. Just wondering if anyone got the CTR and regretted it. Doesn't seem like it though.

Stig_jdm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Evo X, S2000
Country flag
yeah, I have the CTR, an Evo X and S2000.

I agree with Spicy in general, except for the way they handle. At the track, I feel that the Evo rotates better than the CTR, but I believe that a few tweaks to alignment and suspension will make them close.

The brakes and shifter are much better in the CTR.

The other thing I like better in the Evo is the steering feedback. I feel the CTR a bit numb compared to the Evo. When on R mode, the steering is artificially too heavy for me.

In terms of performance, the CTR delivers more at lower cost (fuel consumption), since it is lighter, more modern, and FWD. The mechanical losses on the AWD are quite significant, which means less WHP.

I am a track addicted and for a track focused car, I still prefer my Evo, but the CTR is better in any other aspect.

As lap times go, here is a quick reference with the same ordinary driver (me):

Track Laguna Seca:
CTR - 1:47.1 bone stock
Evo - 1:44.9 with bolt-ons, tune, RE71-R tires and Ohlins coilovers. (330whp)
Evo - 1:39.6 all of the above, stiffer springs, sway bars, whiteline roll over and ALK, E85 (370whp)

I would expect a bone stock Evo to run 1:48-1:50.

Other observations are, the temperature on the CTR does climb after a few laps (4-5) and fuel starvation at 1/4 tank. The temperature on the Evo is rock solid, and fuel starvation at 3/4 of a tank. Therefore, both have some issues to be sorted out.

I am curious to see what Lap Times the CTR will be able to run when the upgrades are available. The AWD in the Evo is amazing, but the CTR will probably be close with the right upgrades.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
If you guys had to pick 1 which one would it be?
God, that's tough. I have thousands and thousands into my Evo. The 4B11T is a great motor, the AWD is a bonus, it's discontinued, I honestly don't know.

I'd probably go with the Honda. My X has given me some stupid issues not related to my own modifications, it's not quite as polished, Mitsubishi sucked to deal with, and there was zero trunk space. It's such a tough choice, though, because the Evo is just hilariously fun. Like Stig_jdm, it rotates easier, but that's probably due to the rear diff and S-AWC. Technologically, the Evo is far superior when it comes to control, but it's also much more complicated.

I'm rambling because I've had a long day. I'd say it's a near-tie between the two. If my Evo were consistently healthy I would have never gotten a second car. But those are the cars I was dealt. You can't go wrong with either platform. Just don't get an STi.

OP
OP
_leslietu

_leslietu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 S14 & '19 CW CTR
Country flag
Lol, I was hoping you guys would help me make my decision easier. Guess I will just have to go test drive one and see. Thank you everyone!

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Lol, I was hoping you guys would help me make my decision easier. Guess I will just have to go test drive one and see. Thank you everyone!
Are stealers allowing people to test drive a CTR nowadays in your neck of the woods? I personally have not seen a stealer that accommodates a test drive request. Most of us bought it "blind" in that sense (of course, reviews were uniformly good, even great, other than the looks, and that was a source of comfort).
Sponsored