Anyone bought Hondata Flashpro and then wish they had not?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Just curious. seems we have only two tune options. Hondata and Ktuner and from my understanding, unless im wrong, Ktuner said they were stopping development for now on the type R due to lack of aftermarket parts? So that leaves Hondata. So with the base Type R already fairly impressive does the Hondata really give that much more? Can you really feel the difference? are you happy with what you paid? Hondata from what I see is the best but it is rather pricey once you factor in the jailbreak and shipping and taxes and all its over a grand. Have you bought it and then were less then impressed for the cost or were you so pleased the cost was totally worth it?

Just starting up conversation is all. I personally was gonna go Ktuner but with some of their responses to my inquires and then hinting at not developing further the type R I chose Hondata. However the cost was a hard pill to swallow. havnt got it back yet but hoping it is all worth it.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I mean, as of right now you technically have JB4 too but it's a piggy back so i personally would avoid it.

I do not have any personal experience with ktuner but i been on hondata ever since they released it basically. I mainly chose hondata because my tuner is more familiar with it and that they are located in the same city as me saving me the hassle of shipping my ecu and stuff to jail break.

I am only able to get 91 octane here but you'll definitely feel the torque difference and the better throttle response. If you had some better fuel, you'll notice a bigger difference than i did i'm pretty sure. Being able to dial in torque targets per gear is nice too so your not just spinning in lower gears. Even if you were, the recently released traction control is nice to control some of those spins too.

I also like the fact that i am able to display engine parameters onto the headunit if you have honda hack. The ability to datalog to make sure how your engine is performing is a plus also.

In the end, they are both tuning tools and with a custom tune, they both will do the same thing.

was it worth it? I think so although i hoped for a more hp increase from a base map, i was just too limited by the fuel down here. $1000 is a pretty big cost but compared to some of the other stuff i bought, it's really not too bad and gave a bigger gain than anything else did lol.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
I recently switched from KTuner to Hondata. I haven't installed the Hondata yet (car is in the body shop...), but my reasoning had a lot to do with the lack of updates on KTuner's side. I was happy initially when I got my KTuner, but since I got it, Hondata came out with 1) Antilag (didn't care too much for this, but cool nonetheless), and 2) Traction Control, which was the major catalyst for the switch.

I definitely felt like KTuner was worth it when I first bought it, but at this time, Hondata is arguably the better option between the two. If you want to maximize your bolton parts, getting a professional tune is the way to go and you'd need Hondata or KTuner to do that. Yes there's Motec or JB4, but those are meant for hardcore builds (Motec) or not really proven on the FK8 (JB4).

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
KTuner is a classic example of why software engineers shouldn't ever deal with customers. I have reached out to them with half a dozen casual questions over the past 2 years, and every single time they responded with either a half answer or a cryptic comment. I am convinced that they're intentionally obtuse in their responses just to screw with people that they think ask stupid questions.

The product itself is stellar though, and when you actually have a real technical customer service need, they're always very quick to respond. If they're wise, they'd hire a part-time social media manager to handle the non-technical questions in a friendly and timely manner. Spencer at PRL is a great example of this kind of person.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had KTuner, then went with Hondata.

At first, Ktuner was fine, but it seemed as though ktuner just stopped expanding on things.

Hondata came out with their traction control option that just helps control the power so much better now.

I don't regret leaving ktuner and I definitely do not regret getting Hondata, it's been great

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
KTuner is a classic example of why software engineers shouldn't ever deal with customers. I have reached out to them with half a dozen casual questions over the past 2 years, and every single time they responded with either a half answer or a cryptic comment. I am convinced that they're intentionally obtuse in their responses just to screw with people that they think ask stupid questions..
I've noticed this also with them. It didn't seem like that at first, but after a while...primarily after hondata came out with their TC, ktuner just got quiet and short answered. I'm glad I got rid of the V2 as quickly as I did...knew they wouldn't have a TC option by now (even though people kept saying they would...or would say get better tires, or get gewd)

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
I've noticed this also with them. It didn't seem like that at first, but after a while...primarily after hondata came out with their TC, ktuner just got quiet and short answered. I'm glad I got rid of the V2 as quickly as I did...knew they wouldn't have a TC option by now (even though people kept saying they would...or would say get better tires, or get gewd)
This x1000. The lack of transparency and response to the addition of two key features (TC and AL) by their main competitor is mind boggling.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
KTuner is a classic example of why software engineers shouldn't ever deal with customers. I have reached out to them with half a dozen casual questions over the past 2 years, and every single time they responded with either a half answer or a cryptic comment. I am convinced that they're intentionally obtuse in their responses just to screw with people that they think ask stupid questions.

The product itself is stellar though, and when you actually have a real technical customer service need, they're always very quick to respond. If they're wise, they'd hire a part-time social media manager to handle the non-technical questions in a friendly and timely manner. Spencer at PRL is a great example of this kind of person.
See this was my experience as well. I sent them a email once asking for clarification on their ordering process as the web sites a bit confusing. I asked if i order from a dealer and then send the unlock to them. And that I needed to schedule an unlock with them as per their sites info. I got back some strange answer about how they don't steal from their dealers sales and such and not one answer to my question or a an appointment to send in my ecu. I sent another email in response saying that their own site says I have to contact them to make an appointment and that is what im trying to do. To which I got no answer.

I had two very good shops here in NC tell me to stay away from Ktuner for that reason as they themsleves would get half answered cryptic responses to service inquires. And now with them not even doing any more development for the type R....

On other hand I called Hondata and the guy who answered the phone was super nice , informative, was happy to answer my 1000 questions and even gave me tips and info on what they are currently doing and how the owner drives a type R he flashes all the time. Cost more money but heck that is how you run a business. Ktuner just seemed bothered you even were buying their product.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had both, and feel that even with a little higher initial expense, Hondata has provided more value for me. I don't use anti-lag, but I do use Flex Fuel (E25-E30 blend) and I use traction control. Both have provided objective improvements in intervals from 30-70 and 50-80. I don't do 0-60 as I love my clutch and would rather it hold up for me for awhile, and those numbers really don't mean anything to me on this platform. From memory, TCM lowered 30-70 times about 8%, and going to E30 flex fuel provided another 10% reduction over the TCM time. So it definitely works well.

That said, I recently joined a FB group for all 10th Gen Civics. The hate - and I do mean absolute, unmitigated hatred toward Hondata, and reciprocal love for Ktuner - is astounding. It's almost like people discussing politics these days. There is no middle ground, apparently. You either are team K or team H. And you weep naught for the unwashed souls of those using the competitor's product.

It's hilarious, and frustrating at the same time. Nevertheless, I'm happy I switched. Wouldn't necessarily be unhappy to have stayed with KTuner but for all the reasons already listed, it was just a frustrating experience to see the way they've handled the recent shifts in the FK8 tuning market.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've had both, and feel that even with a little higher initial expense, Hondata has provided more value for me. I don't use anti-lag, but I do use Flex Fuel (E25-E30 blend) and I use traction control. Both have provided objective improvements in intervals from 30-70 and 50-80. I don't do 0-60 as I love my clutch and would rather it hold up for me for awhile, and those numbers really don't mean anything to me on this platform. From memory, TCM lowered 30-70 times about 8%, and going to E30 flex fuel provided another 10% reduction over the TCM time. So it definitely works well.

That said, I recently joined a FB group for all 10th Gen Civics. The hate - and I do mean absolute, unmitigated hatred toward Hondata, and reciprocal love for Ktuner - is astounding. It's almost like people discussing politics these days. There is no middle ground, apparently. You either are team K or team H. And you weep naught for the unwashed souls of those using the competitor's product.

It's hilarious, and frustrating at the same time. Nevertheless, I'm happy I switched. Wouldn't necessarily be unhappy to have stayed with KTuner but for all the reasons already listed, it was just a frustrating experience to see the way they've handled the recent shifts in the FK8 tuning market.
see I dont hate one or the other or like one or the other any better. They are both tools to get a tune on your car and both had strong points over the other until recently. Its as if Ktuner couldnt keep up so just gave up. I can say products are similar but customer service is a world apart from the two.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag

That would be the Axion Industries 10th Gen Civics page. You'll also find similar hatred of any product without a PRL logo on there. I'm generally strongly wary of any discussion forum hosted by a business with a vested interest in selling something.

Morning Mahogany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R
Country flag
Just yesterday it was Ktuner. Today it's Hondata. Tomorrow is anybody's guess. Competition is bring constant change so I guess I'll take the wait & see approach until my warrantee expires in two years.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

It's funny, seems like it fluctuates. When I had ktuner, I got hated on by hondata owners lol.