Anyone bought Honda Care extended warranty for their Type R???

jpanda

Panda King
First Name
JPanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Honda Civic Type R 18 & EX Hatchback 18 - Retired: 15 6MT-FIT, Infiniti G35 & G37 6MT.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So here's a very specific question about the Hyannis warranty. They're offering 8 years/100,000 miles for $925 or 8 years/120,000 miles for $1050.

Is the extra 20,000 miles worth another $125? Especially 8 years down the line? On one hand, by 100,000 miles I may not even have the car anymore or whatever's going to go wrong will already have done so. On the other hand, those last 20,000 miles might be where I need it the most, so maybe spend the extra $125 (or 12% more).

Discuss...
I think it's worth it, if anything goes wrong on those last 20k miles I'm betting you it would cost you more than $125. The beauty of this service contract is that its backed by Honda and not 3rd party so you have more push than with some shoddy ones most dealers sell.
Sponsored

jpanda

Panda King
First Name
JPanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Honda Civic Type R 18 & EX Hatchback 18 - Retired: 15 6MT-FIT, Infiniti G35 & G37 6MT.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I called Honda Care to intitiate the cancellation. As was pointed out by Mick, I had to fill out the cancellation paper.

The instructions I received over the phone were to fill out the form, no need to fill in dealer info, and email a scan of the form to the address provided in the email that was sent to me.

I got an automated email stated that my request was received.

Hopefully, it will process without complications.

I'm not sure I will get an extended warranty as I have interest in a Hondata Flash.

-ugh, choices

I think there is a Honda dealership in the Houston Area that offers Hondata tuning in house and is covered by the Honda warranty.

Yellow Jacket

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR in PMM, 1000+ HP Dodge Challenger
Country flag
I just got my 8 year/120,000 mile warranty from Sean at Hyannis Honda. Everything handled via email and over the phone, it was so easy, I highly recommend it.

Does NOT have to be within 30 days of purchase. My car was originally purchased in October 2017, but had less than 1000 miles on it so I was eligible for the full thing. If you have more miles, you may not get the full 8 year/120k miles, but it may still be worth it. The warranty comes from Honda itself, not the individual dealer.

If you talk to Sean, tell him I sent you!

[email protected]
http://hyannishondacare.com/index.php

Scrapdog

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R , 11 Civic Si , 01 S2000 , 99 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
10 year , 100k mile , I HAD to buy it it was part of the ADM!!!

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I just got my 8 year/120,000 mile warranty from Sean at Hyannis Honda. Everything handled via email and over the phone, it was so easy, I highly recommend it.

Does NOT have to be within 30 days of purchase. My car was originally purchased in October 2017, but had less than 1000 miles on it so I was eligible for the full thing. If you have more miles, you may not get the full 8 year/120k miles, but it may still be worth it. The warranty comes from Honda itself, not the individual dealer.

If you talk to Sean, tell him I sent you!

[email protected]
http://hyannishondacare.com/index.php
FYI, you have until 6,000 miles to purchase HC’s longest coverages. After that, I was told that the maximum coverage term would be 5 years and the prices go up.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You could have requested a refund from the company underwriting the extended warranty (they normally provide for at least a prorated refund), no? If you wanted, you could have also bought HondaCare after the cancellation of the original warranty. The dealer cannot stop you from doing so (unless you had agreed otherwise in writing).

If you request a refund on a warranty and you had financed the car, then the refund typically goes directly to the lender to pay down the principal. In other words, your monthly payment won’t change (i.e., no re-amortizing) but the loan would be paid off sooner.

civicortez

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If I cancel, will it affect my finance loan? Will it at all bump / lower my interest rate? I plan on modding my car so I really shouldn't have the warranty correct? I appreciate anyone and everyone's input

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
If I cancel, will it affect my finance loan? Will it at all bump / lower my interest rate? I plan on modding my car so I really shouldn't have the warranty correct? I appreciate anyone and everyone's input
Depends on how you purchased the extended warranty and who you financed with I think. AFAIK shouldnt affect the interest rate at all. It'll just be applied as credit towards the loan.

I specifically paid for my hondacare as part of the down and did not finance it. When I canceled it, they sent the check to my credit union to be applied to my balance. I called my credit union and explained that i was going to rebuy the warranty at a lower rate in cash, and that I did not finance the warranty with my loan. Got a check cut out by my credit union and cashed it. Rebought the warranty and pocketed the savings.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I assume you are talking about the warranty cost being rolled into the loan when you buy the car. If you cancel the warranty down the road, the refunded amount would be sent directly to the lender, which in turn would apply it to reduce the principal of the loan. The monthly payments would stay the same (ditto for the interest rate) because the lender is not going to "re-amortize" the loan (a fancy way of saying "readjust the monthly payments"), but the loan would be paid off sooner because the principal has been reduced thanks to the refund. You aren't actually going to see that money . . . . it's going straight to the lender.

I would say that you could buy an extended warranty if you are going to put on mods that are only cosmetic or things that could be removed before going to the stealership for repair. I am a little concerned about reflashes because, someone people say, that stealer or Honda corporate can tell how many times the ECU has been flashed. Who knows if that's true. Personally, that's the only hesitation I would have.

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Does HondaCare cover the navi and electronics? I read on a sample contract somebody posted on another thread that it doesn't cover electronics, vacuum hoses, gaskets, and a bunch of other stuff. Has me wondering if worth it now as I would mainly be buying for the things I just listed that is supposedly doesn't cover. Any info would be great.

Also how you do the warranties from the dealers listed below online without having to call or w/e first? I went to the Hyannis one and filled out the contact form as I didn't see anything about the warranty on their site...

Thanks!

civicortez

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Does anyone know where I get the contact info to cancel my warranty?

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does HondaCare cover the navi and electronics? I read on a sample contract somebody posted on another thread that it doesn't cover electronics, vacuum hoses, gaskets, and a bunch of other stuff. Has me wondering if worth it now as I would mainly be buying for the things I just listed that is supposedly doesn't cover. Any info would be great.

Also how you do the warranties from the dealers listed below online without having to call or w/e first? I went to the Hyannis one and filled out the contact form as I didn't see anything about the warranty on their site...

Thanks!
If you read Part IV, Paragraph A, the excluded parts talk about navi and electronic parts which are not OEM. Any OEM electronics are definitely covered.

For Hyannis, this is their HondaCare page: http://hyannishondacare.com

You can get an automated quote for the plans via email.

Or you can talk to the Sean Rausch guy over there directly at:

Sean Rausch
Internet Manager
Hyannis Honda
[email protected]
(508)778-7878 Work
(774)470-4054 Direct
Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
Sponsored