Anyone bought Honda Care extended warranty for their Type R???

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Is this outright? I mean, if you mod the supercharger for example, does that void the warranty on the electronics?

Are any of you that purchased Honda care going to do performance modifications?
The dealer has to argue (not prove) that your mod has caused the problem in question (see the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act). But once they do, it's going to be a pissing match. You would have to talk to the service manager, then appeal to the Honda corporate, and if they don't agree with you, you would have to sue and you would have the burden of proof as plaintiff in a court.

Under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, dealers cannot deny warranty service just because you have non-OEM parts (mods). However, they can deny warranty if your particular mod caused the repair being sought.

Most mods can be removed before taking into service, but it's a pain to do so for routine service (e.g., oil, filter, etc.). But if you don't, the dealer can theoretically take note of your mods. Also, some people say that the dealer can tell how many times the ECU has been flashed.

If you really want to install performance modifications, you should consider it carefully if you are not willing to lose the warranty coverage. Make an informed decision -- which most car enthusiasts do not.
Sponsored

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for the heads up! Sadly, I paid WAY over what I should have (stupid excitement) and a tacked on surcharge saves me quite a lot of money even so. Do you happen to know how I go about cancelling it? The dealership had said that I'd need to contact them if I wanted to make any changes but my limited research hasn't been of much help. The whole extended warranty thing is new to me since I've never really kept cars long enough to want one.
I think you would normally process the cancellation through the dealer that sold you HondaCare. Note that you have to give back the original HondaCare booklet, as well as all the wallet cards that were included in it. I have attached below PDF of the cancellation form from December 2016 (may or may not have changed since). It states that you can send all the required documents to Honda directly to cancel and get a refund. Note that after 60 days of your purchase, your refund would be prorated based on the number of months and miles since the purchase of your car (as opposed to after the expiration of the basic bumper-to-bumper warranty).

Attachments

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I bought the 7 yr 100k mile Honda care for $900

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
By the way, I had forgotten that I had inquired about the 6,000 mile issue some time ago. Sean from Hyannis had told me then that once you go above 6,000 miles, you can only purchase 5-year plans (i.e., nothing longer) and the price might be higher for comparable plans (he wasn't 100% clear, and did not elaborate, on that particular point).

Just wanted to get this out there FYI. If you are close to 6,000 miles and want to buy one of the longer HondaCare plans, don't wait. I have a little over 5,000 so I will be buying mine this week!!

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Maybe I'm just crazy... I'm not seeing the advantage of moving towards advanced Honda Care (long term) versus the 5 years etc which is bundled free with the vehicle. During the car's initial 5 years this warranty offers no differences than standard correct? This is really for owners who are planning on owning the vehicle longer than 5 years?

I've never purchased advanced warranties on a vehicle so I'm trying to really grasp the reason why I may want to do it with this vehicle.

Issue is this vehicle will attend a few track days in it's life (I have a dedicated track car but I want to see this in action) and hell I already ordered the Mishimoto intake and my deposit held CTR hasn't even arrived yet :p

Sorry to come across noobish. I just am trying to really see the validity of adding extended warranty other than if the owner plans on keeping it long term 7 years or 120k miles and not modding it... I'm assuming this warranty doesn't cover steering wheel wear and tear or seats beginning to fade etc?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
For cancellation, i just called the hondacare # and verified that the VIN was no longer covered before I repurchased. No one told me anything about sending docs back lol...

I've purchased a $200 AppleCare warranty for my macbook pro (back when you could buy applecare codes on ebay) and its paid for itself several times over. $900 for a $30k plus purchase seems like a good deal to me for a much more complicated machine that has literal explosions occurring inside it.

I got a refurbished Nexus 6P when the battery died after 2yrs thanks to purchasing the extended google warranty. The same courtesy was not extended to those not covered.

Likewise, if the turbo blows up between 60 - 100k, Hondacare would have paid for itself. The CTR is essentially first generation. A replacement turbo alone is over $1k.

Last edited:

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
college hill- has 8yr 120 - 0 deductible $ 950
1-333-345-5200 ext 201 - tauni woods - I think it was a 6 months old or 6 k is the deal so if less than 6 months old no way to tell and don't sweat it thats what I did . but if ya have had it longer than 6 months go 7yr 100k

I just got off the phone with Tauni and she quoted me 1110 for the 8year-0 deductible plan. Has anyone else got this cheaper from another dealer?

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just got off the phone with Tauni and she quoted me 1110 for the 8year-0 deductible plan. Has anyone else got this cheaper from another dealer?
Hyannis is charging $1,050 for the same plan. I just checked yesterday.

EDIT: Oops, you are in CA. I guess Hyannis doesn’t sell HC there, right? Sorry.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe I'm just crazy... I'm not seeing the advantage of moving towards advanced Honda Care (long term) versus the 5 years etc which is bundled free with the vehicle. During the car's initial 5 years this warranty offers no differences than standard correct? This is really for owners who are planning on owning the vehicle longer than 5 years?

I've never purchased advanced warranties on a vehicle so I'm trying to really grasp the reason why I may want to do it with this vehicle.

Issue is this vehicle will attend a few track days in it's life (I have a dedicated track car but I want to see this in action) and hell I already ordered the Mishimoto intake and my deposit held CTR hasn't even arrived yet :p

Sorry to come across noobish. I just am trying to really see the validity of adding extended warranty other than if the owner plans on keeping it long term 7 years or 120k miles and not modding it... I'm assuming this warranty doesn't cover steering wheel wear and tear or seats beginning to fade etc?
Actually, your bumper-to-bumper coverage is for 3/36K only. Powertrain coverage will be for 5/60K.

Yes, it is for people who are planning to hold onto the car beyond the 5/60K period, though you would be able to find a private buyer faster and for a higher price if you have an extended warranty on it, according to a study I saw long ago. If the buyer does not want the extended warranty (i.e., they want to pay less for the car), you can get a prorated refund from Honda.

If you are going to install any non-removable performance mods, or admit to the service writer that you track the car, then an extended warranty might not be for you. Actually, don’t do either of those things if you want to keep the basic warranty.

No wear and tear items would be covered by Honda Care. No OEM extended warranty would cover those things, unless you buy a maintenance plan separately (Honda offers those). They are not worth it. And no maintenance plan would pay for worn steering wheel or seat bolsters, etc.

To me, the electronic and computer components are the biggest concerns. I understand that, for example, the headunit/Nav costs more than $1,000 to replace (I am not sure if those things can be repaired sometimes). I know I have shelled out a few hundred dollars when I had issues with power steering or power door locks.

Extended warranties are a hedge and a gamble. It’s a hedge for me (i.e., a limit on my loss).

NorcalR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv k24
Country flag
ya I did 8 yr 100 k for $95o opps not the 8-120k my bad

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Thanks for your summary Mick! I’ve always wondered on extended warranties such as this. I think I’ll roll the dice on the basic coverage since most likely a tune will be completed in 18/19 at the latest... much less the rest of the crap I’ll throw into the vehicle eventually.

It’s nice to hear a valid reasoning behind it though!

EC1toFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW CTR, 03 Acura RSX type S
I called Honda Care to intitiate the cancellation. As was pointed out by Mick, I had to fill out the cancellation paper.

The instructions I received over the phone were to fill out the form, no need to fill in dealer info, and email a scan of the form to the address provided in the email that was sent to me.

I got an automated email stated that my request was received.

Hopefully, it will process without complications.

I'm not sure I will get an extended warranty as I have interest in a Hondata Flash.

-ugh, choices

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I called Honda Care to intitiate the cancellation. As was pointed out by Mick, I had to fill out the cancellation paper.

The instructions I received over the phone were to fill out the form, no need to fill in dealer info, and email a scan of the form to the address provided in the email that was sent to me.

I got an automated email stated that my request was received.

Hopefully, it will process without complications.

I'm not sure I will get an extended warranty as I have interest in a Hondata Flash.

-ugh, choices
Thanks for confirming that. I think you are being wise, as an ECU flash would possibly void an extended warranty (if you believe those people who think the dealership can tell how many times an ECU has been flashed).

Yellow Jacket

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR in PMM, 1000+ HP Dodge Challenger
Country flag
So here's a very specific question about the Hyannis warranty. They're offering 8 years/100,000 miles for $925 or 8 years/120,000 miles for $1050.

Is the extra 20,000 miles worth another $125? Especially 8 years down the line? On one hand, by 100,000 miles I may not even have the car anymore or whatever's going to go wrong will already have done so. On the other hand, those last 20,000 miles might be where I need it the most, so maybe spend the extra $125 (or 12% more).

Discuss...
Sponsored