Anybody's tires freeze?

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
With the lows in parts of the lower 48 of the US dipping below -40º F, maybe we can clear up some confusion about the OEM tires on the CTR, albeit as the sad expense of some damaged tires.

Has anyone seen cracking, fracturing, or other tire damage due to the cold weather?

Some reports said the tires would freeze and become brittle at temperatures as high as 20ºF = -7º C. I believe that was a misreading of the literature. What literature I could find was somewhat ambiguous, but I believe it intended to say that the tires freeze at -20º C which is -4º F.

So, I'd like to hear stories from people whose tires got hit with temperatures in the range -20º F to +20ºF to know how they fared.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
not so much "freezing" as it is that the stock contis are not designed to work below 60f surface temp. it's how the compound is designed. below 60f traction begins to go away. once you hit temps around freezing/32f and below, they're like rocks and not usable. can they crack or fracture? yes...because they harden up, thus the loss of traction to begin with.

those who don't live in winter climates don't know that summer or hi perf tires are not designed to perform well in the freezing temps. same is true for all season, better known as "3 season tires", which also are not designed to remain soft below 32f. in such range, you must use winter tires which are designed to remain soft well below 0 degs f.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
They tell u not to drive in freezing conditions for a reason. Continental says to not even 'store' them at near or below freezing temperatures let alone drive them.

These are some cracked ones on corvetteforum.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anybody's tires freeze? 3274901

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Yep, I really hope people have stored their summer tires properly in this crazy freeze, otherwise they'll be looking at buying another set very soon.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
They tell u not to drive in freezing conditions for a reason. Continental says to not even 'store' them at near or below freezing temperatures let alone drive them.

These are some cracked ones on corvetteforum.

3274901.gif
Yikes!

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And if you store them, can’t store for more than 1 year else they’ll dry rot. Just sold my basically brand new tires taken off Mach 2018 after first 200 miles. They’ve been sitting on the rack with the mint OEM wheels which I’m keeping.

Might as well let another owner use it rather than throw them away as it’s been 10 months.

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The low here hit around -5F. I have my summer tires stored in my unheated garage (it's my only option, really). Should I be concerned that they might have sustained any kind of permanent damage? I wasn't aware they'd be in danger even if I wasn't using them.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The low here hit around -5F. I have my summer tires stored in my unheated garage (it's my only option, really). Should I be concerned that they might have sustained any kind of permanent damage? I wasn't aware they'd be in danger even if I wasn't using them.
No basement? Probably good idea to put them inside house.

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No basement? Probably good idea to put them inside house.
I live in a studio apartment where I already have literally no room to put anything more. The detached garage I added to my lease after taking delivery of my CTR is really the only place the tires can go until I've saved up enough for a down payment on a house.

Granted, if I knew there was a serious risk of damage, I may have just stacked them in front of my couch for this week. Until I saw this post, though, I didn't think there was any need for such drastic measures.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
@LongRun

From tirerack.com if you look at the description. Was not a misreading of literature.

Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

slowman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ABM CTR, 08 Mugen Si, 07 Fit Sport, 06 Acura TSX, 95 240 LS3, 93 Civic VX B16B
Country flag
They'll be fine.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
I live in a studio apartment where I already have literally no room to put anything more. The detached garage I added to my lease after taking delivery of my CTR is really the only place the tires can go until I've saved up enough for a down payment on a house.

Granted, if I knew there was a serious risk of damage, I may have just stacked them in front of my couch for this week. Until I saw this post, though, I didn't think there was any need for such drastic measures.

I think frozen tires are at risk of damage only if some sort of stress is put on them. If I were you I would move them to your couch until temps rise. Better to be safe than sorry I guess.

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@LongRun

From tirerack.com if you look at the description. Was not a misreading of literature.

Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
They'll be fine.
That's reassuring at least. In any case, I'll probably have Discount Tire give them a look before swapping back to them this spring, just to be safe.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
it's just like any rubber. find a piece of rubber somewhere and put it in the freezer and see what happens. most rubber(or things) hardens when frozen and melts when hot, common sense. These temp zones degrades the compound. Obviously, automotive tire rubber compounds are different, but the concept is about the same. Crazy to think about it because as climate changes, so does everything else. Especially w/ these colder climates coming, we need some better rubber yo! :lol:

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ok, so got confirmation from regional vp of honda corporate who supports eastern region dealers in the field (for things such as recalls, tsb, warranty claims, etc.).

honda sent a memo to all dealers, "winter is upon us...keep a lookout for those cracked contis..." honda will not pay for nor will wheel-tire insurance package cover oem contis driven in winter that cracks, blows, etc. some have tired to get warranty coverage...good luck!
Sponsored