Anybody considered the effects of engine mount vibration on dual mass flywheels??

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
The more im reading on dual mass flywheels, the more technical info im discovering. There are specifically defined harmonic frequencies they are supposed to operate in to cancel out equally specific resonances.

How does the horrible vibration right off of idle speed when using aftermarket mounts affect the dual mass flywheel?

Assuming it's true that the type r doesn't have a dual mass flywheel, maybe this would explain why r owners seem to not get the exaggerated frequencies the 1.5t manuals get?

Just a thought....
Sponsored

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Dam. No takers?

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The more im reading on dual mass flywheels, the more technical info im discovering. There are specifically defined harmonic frequencies they are supposed to operate in to cancel out equally specific resonances.

How does the horrible vibration right off of idle speed when using aftermarket mounts affect the dual mass flywheel?

Assuming it's true that the type r doesn't have a dual mass flywheel, maybe this would explain why r owners seem to not get the exaggerated frequencies the 1.5t manuals get?

Just a thought....
Sorry for the noobi question, type r has single mass flywheel?

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am having alot of wherl hop and spin , energy and power are losing... looking into rmm

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for the noobi question, type r has single mass flywheel?
From what I've read it doesn't but I could be wrong. Was going to stimulate some thoughts on this matter.

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump. Just read a post on a newer thread where a guy said he installed a solid mount on his si and his buddies r at the same time and it was a drastic difference between the 2 (he immediately removed the one on his si due to the vibrations).

Im certain now the type r does not have a dual mass setup and Im also nearly equally as certain this difference in NVH intensity is due to the dual mass flywheels calibrated resonance frequency being thrown off by the vibrations/frequency additions the solid rear mount adds, on the 1.5t.

Now the only question is will allowing these vibrations cause long term flywheel damage or not....

Last edited:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Bump. Just read a post on a newer thread where a guy said he installed a solid mount on his si and his buddies r at the same time and it was a drastic difference between the 2 (he immediately removed the one on his si due to the vibrations).

Im certain now the type r does not have a dual mass setup and Im also nearly equally as certain this difference in NVH intensity is due to the dual mass flywheels calibrated resonance frequency being thrown off by the vibrations/frequency additions the solid rear mount adds, on the 1.5t.

Now the only question is will allowing these vibrations cause long term flywheel damage or not....
I just installed the 27Won RMM last weekend and the amount of engine noise in the cabin is unreal. It has already started to improve and I expect it to continue to get better over the next 1000 miles.

Something that I haven't seen talked about is how stiffening the rear motor mount (in my case) completely removes the unpredictable engagement and sponginess the OEM flywheel/clutch/slave cylinder with delay valve is commonly attributed with.

Starts are significantly easier to get smooth now, shifts under power are simple and predictable with regards to the clutch feel and engagement.

IMO the mount fixed any reason I had to complain about the OEM clutch. If it fails down the line due to the vibrations, well it needed to go for a nice SMF anyway like the Type R retrofit or hopefully Exedy's sport clutch kit will have one.

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I do enjoy knowing the benefits outweigh the issue (barely).

I bumped my idle to 1100 the day after install 16k miles ago and never looked back. No more take off vibes this way as long as rpm stays above 1100.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Oh I do enjoy knowing the benefits outweigh the issue (barely).

I bumped my idle to 1100 the day after install 16k miles ago and never looked back. No more take off vibes this way as long as rpm stays above 1100.
I think my current feeling about it is that because the motor mount fixed my clutch issues, I have no reason to do the delay valve mod which has actually had some reports of damaging the flywheel due to driveline shock.

I doubt the increase in vibrations is a higher risk than removing the delay valve.

OP
OP
PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
agreed
Sponsored