Any way to switch from 'ON' back to 'ACCESSORY' mode?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Feels like a stupid question, but is there a way to do this?

In all of my previous cars, if I have radio playing and the car is running, and I turn the ignition off - to the 'ACCESSORY' mode, not all the way off -- the radio would still be on/keep playing.

In the Si, it seems the only way that switch can go, if the car is running, is to 'OFF'. I.e. everything turns off, Bluetooth disconnects, etc. Have to push the 'Start' button again to go back to 'ACCESSORY' mode.

The only thing I could find in the manual is this page, and it looks like it's impossible to go back from 'ON' to 'ACCESSORY':
Honda Civic 10th gen Any way to switch from 'ON' back to 'ACCESSORY' mode? upload_2017-7-21_10-51-8

Am I missing something? I just can't believe they didn't make that option available; it's so useful!

Thanks.

(Looking forward to feeling like an idiot when someone tells me it is possible, 'cause I really want it to be... :))
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
On Hondas with pushbutton start and automatic transmissions, you can work around this by holding the shift lever release button while pressing the START/STOP button which will turn the engine off and leave the accessories on for a few seconds unless you press the START/STOP button again without your foot on the brake. It takes some coordination. :) You can also shift to neutral then press the START/STOP button which will accomplish the same thing, but as soon as you shift to park everything goes off. If one forgets to shift to park, the vehicle may roll away. Not good. I'm not aware of such a "cheat" on models with manual transmissions short of stalling the engine by releasing the clutch while holding the brake. Haha! (Don't do that - I was merely pointing out the possibility!)

Why Honda can't keep the radio on with the windows and sunroof like GM and others have done for decades now is beyond me.

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Feels like a stupid question, but is there a way to do this?

In all of my previous cars, if I have radio playing and the car is running, and I turn the ignition off - to the 'ACCESSORY' mode, not all the way off -- the radio would still be on/keep playing.

In the Si, it seems the only way that switch can go, if the car is running, is to 'OFF'. I.e. everything turns off, Bluetooth disconnects, etc. Have to push the 'Start' button again to go back to 'ACCESSORY' mode.

The only thing I could find in the manual is this page, and it looks like it's impossible to go back from 'ON' to 'ACCESSORY':
upload_2017-7-21_10-51-8.png

Am I missing something? I just can't believe they didn't make that option available; it's so useful!

Thanks.

(Looking forward to feeling like an idiot when someone tells me it is possible, 'cause I really want it to be... :))
Since it is a manual transmission it is impossible to go from "ON" to "Accessory". As it shows in the diagram you posted, it goes OFF>Accessory(without pressing clutch)>On>Off. I have the 6MT EXT and the only way is to turn "OFF" and then turn on to "Accessory". I agree it is annoying as HELL especially if you are on a phone call through Bluetooth and want to turn the car off!! I have had mine since 4/1/17 and everything I have read and tried supports this.

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
Yup, what a PITA this is! My buddy complained about it on his Forrester, and I never understood what the big deal was until now with my new Si. Totally interrupted my call with my mom today. And my daughter and I used to pull into the garage, turn off the engine, and finish whatever song we were listening to. No longer! :(

At least the windows and roof will operate until a door is opened, but still, there should be a solution for this!

What's funny is, I had 2 S2000s, and a BMW 135i, all with push button start, but I don't recall this problem with them. I wish I could remember how they handled it...

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I wish I could remember how they handled it...
I think probably the simplest and most intuitive way would be to process 'long-press' on the start button (holding it 1-2 seconds) when the car is running. It would be such a ridiculously easy change. All is in place for it already, would just take a teeny-tiny software tweak... :nono:
Sponsored