T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
at startup by default? Or would I have to hit those buttons every time?
Sponsored

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what I've read, it sounds like a flash is needed to have Sport start by default. Not sure about Brake hold, but I'd think it's the same deal.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Both SPORT mode and the Brake Hold features default to "off" each time the vehicle is restarted.

A Hondata tune can allow the vehicle to default to SPORT mode each time it is restarted.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I wish brake assist could be set to on as default. I have had a couple freak out moments when my car rolled back because I forgot to press the button.

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wish brake assist could be set to on as default. I have had a couple freak out moments when my car rolled back because I forgot to press the button.
The problem is that the brake assist is a great function.

I never had a car with this function, so I am okay without it; however, on steep inclines it's hard to drag hi with without an an actual hand brake.

So you just need to remember to use it in these situations.

Luckily for me I don't have to deal with many hills

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just a little clarification... ;)

Brake Assist is the function that automatically applies full braking force during panic stops. It's always "on" and waiting for a panic stop.

Automatic Brake Hold is the function that is actually being discussed in this thread - this is the feature that keeps the brakes applied while stopped. It must be put into "standby mode" each time the vehicle is started by pressing the BRAKE HOLD button.

Hill Start Assist is the feature that keeps the car from rolling if you're stopped on an incline. The transmission must be in a gear and the clutch must be fully depressed. This feature is always "on".

Last edited:
OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Brake Assist is the function that automatically applies full braking force during panic stops. It's always "on" and waiting for a panic stop.

Brake Hold is the function that is actually being discussed in this thread - this is the feature that keeps the brakes applied while stopped. It must be put into "standby mode" each time the vehicle is started by pressing the BRAKE HOLD button.

Hill Start Assist is the feature that keeps the car from rolling if you're stopped on an incline. The transmission must be in a gear and the clutch must be fully depressed. This feature is always "on".
I feel as if my si does not have the hill start assist.

I roll back on my driveway all the time even in gear with clutch in

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Man, I feel mine. Though it only lasts for a half second. By then I'm usually pulling out of it.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Man, I feel mine. Though it only lasts for a half second. By then I'm usually pulling out of it.
Hill Start Assist applies the brakes for 1/2 (or 1?) second after the brake pedal is released.
Hill Hold applies the brakes (for maximum of 10 minutes at which time brakes will be released) until the gas pedal is pressed

Both engages when the car completely stops.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hill Start Assist applies the brakes for 1/2 (or 1?) second after the brake pedal is released.
Hill Hold applies the brakes (for maximum of 10 minutes at which time brakes will be released) until the gas pedal is pressed

Both engages when the car completely stops.
Close... ;) See post #6 above.

There's no such feature as "Hill Hold" - you're thinking of "Brake Hold". At the end of 10 minutes, it applies the parking brake then releases the service brakes. :)

Hill Start Assist holds the brakes for 2 seconds after the brake pedal is released.

I probably shouldn't mention how the Electric Parking Brake works just yet... :D

Last edited:

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Close... ;) See post #6 above.

There's no such feature as "Hill Hold" - you're thinking of "Brake Hold". :)

Hill Start Assist holds the brakes for 2 seconds after the brake pedal is released.

I probably shouldn't mention how the Electronic Parking Brake works just yet... :D
So I'm rolling backyards because I haven't depressed the brakes

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I probably shouldn't mention how the Electronic Parking Brake works just yet... :D
Oooo, Oooo, Mr Carter! :)

Same as Brake Hold but you engage it manually by pulling up on the Brake Switch?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oooo, Oooo, Mr Carter! :)

Same as Brake Hold but you engage it manually by pulling up on the Brake Switch?
Automatic Brake Holds works by maintaining the pressure of the hydraulic fluid in the service brakes.

The Electric Parking Brake uses an electric motor to apply the rear parking brakes.

BONUS: If you pull up on the Electric Parking Brake switch while in motion, the VSA system applies the hydraulic service brakes to slow the vehicle (same as pressing the brake pedal). One the vehicle stops, the Electric Parking Brake is engaged.

Sorry, Arnold. ;)

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Brake Hold is the function that is actually being discussed in this thread - this is the feature that keeps the brakes applied while stopped. It must be put into "standby mode" each time the vehicle is started by pressing the BRAKE HOLD button.

Yes Brake Hold I wish that could be defaulted to on

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Automatic Brake Holds works by maintaining the pressure of the hydraulic fluid in the service brakes.

The Electric Parking Brake uses an electric motor to apply the rear parking brakes.

BONUS: If you pull up on the Electric Parking Brake switch while in motion, the VSA system applies the hydraulic service brakes to slow the vehicle (same as pressing the brake pedal). One the vehicle stops, the Electric Parking Brake is engaged.

Sorry, Arnold. ;)
Ah yes, I guess I should have been more specific. When I said they're the same, I was merely referring to the fact that both get disengaged when in gear and the gas pedal is pressed.
Sponsored