Any way to run Google Maps from my iPhone to the main display screen?

OceanView18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Just got a 2017 Civic EX Hatch in white for my girlfriend and I - love the ride and handling. We deliberately avoided the EX-L because we didn't need the navigation. Our sales person said we can hookup our iPHones using some HDMI to USB convertor cable and have Google Maps run on the display. Any truth to this ? I know we'd need a lightning to HDMI cable, followed by a HDMI to USB which would then go into the USB port in the car. But now most people I talk to say this won't actually work - any advice ? ! was he just choking our chain?!!
Sponsored

iWantaHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ExlNavi,2016 PiloTouring
Just got a 2017 Civic EX Hatch in white for my girlfriend and I - love the ride and handling. We deliberately avoided the EX-L because we didn't need the navigation. Our sales person said we can hookup our iPHones using some HDMI to USB convertor cable and have Google Maps run on the display. Any truth to this ? I know we'd need a lightning to HDMI cable, followed by a HDMI to USB which would then go into the USB port in the car. But now most people I talk to say this won't actually work - any advice ? ! was he just choking our chain?!!
Must be a new guy. Don't need an HDMI that was last Generation Civic. iPhone will work perfectly with CarPlay. Connect the charger cable to the jack under the radio closest to the drivers side

OP
OP

OceanView18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
the iPhone works fine with CarPlay but we're talking about a workaround - getting Google Maps to display on the Civic's display but running through the iPhone. I know that CarPlay obviously doesn't support GoogleMaps but seeing if this would work

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
the iPhone works fine with CarPlay but we're talking about a workaround - getting Google Maps to display on the Civic's display but running through the iPhone. I know that CarPlay obviously doesn't support GoogleMaps but seeing if this would work
With CarPlay, you can only use CarPlay compatible apps. So, you could use the maps app. People have also been asking if they can use waze through CarPlay, but I'm afraid the answer is also no (for now).

From what I've seen and read, it is mostly music and news apps that are compatible at this time (besides the 8 standard apps that it comes with).

Last edited:

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
can't get it on your screen but if you'd like to have full volume with any 3rd party app do this:
connect your phone to carplay
wait for carplay loading screen to pop up on your iPhone.
immediately hit home button on your phone
return to your 3rd party app
don't lock your phone
you can now have full volume turn by turn on Waze, Google maps and also full volume with the cars radio.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
can't get it on your screen but if you'd like to have full volume with any 3rd party app do this:
connect your phone to carplay
wait for carplay loading screen to pop up on your iPhone.
immediately hit home button on your phone
return to your 3rd party app
don't lock your phone
you can now have full volume turn by turn on Waze, Google maps and also full volume with the cars radio.
That's a good option. So the individual can decide between waze/google maps with voice navigation only, or Apple maps with voice and screen.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Our sales person said we can hookup our iPHones using some HDMI to USB convertor cable and have Google Maps run on the display. Any truth to this ?
That's a good option. So the individual can decide between waze/google maps with voice navigation only, or Apple maps with voice and screen.
I think what you're talking about with the hdmi is screen mirroring. As far as I'm aware, and I haven't looked hard at all, that is not possible with our head units. It looks like your best option is to use the workaround to get google maps audio at least.

Edit: that is unless you're open to making the leap to Android hahaha.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The option is not available on North American units; you need an HDMI compatible HU. That or Apple needs to approve (or Google needs to create) a Google Maps variant that is optimized for Carplay.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think what you're talking about with the hdmi is screen mirroring. As far as I'm aware, and I haven't looked hard at all, that is not possible with our head units. It looks like your best option is to use the workaround to get google maps audio at least.

Edit: that is unless you're open to making the leap to Android hahaha.
Not sure if you replied to the wrong post. I'm not talking about mirroring. With Apple CarPlay, you can bring up Apple maps on the display and use it as GPS/navigation. You just plug the iPhone into the USB and CarPlay will appear as an option.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if you replied to the wrong post. I'm not talking about mirroring. With Apple CarPlay, you can bring up Apple maps on the display and use it as GPS/navigation. You just plug the iPhone into the USB and CarPlay will appear as an option.
Cmon now, I'm clearly talking about getting google maps to display while using an iPhone instead of apple maps. I'm not going to come in here and offer advice if I'm totally clueless. I'm well aware of how the system actually works but the op wants google maps to display through an iPhone, which you can only do with screen mirroring, which you can only do with hdmi, but our HU doesn't support it. I quoted your post because of the audio work around.

Edit: fixed it to include op

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Cmon now, I'm clearly talking about getting google maps to display while using an iPhone instead of apple maps. I'm not going to come in here and offer advice if I'm totally clueless. I'm well aware of how the system actually works but the op wants google maps to display through an iPhone, which you can only do with screen mirroring, which you can only do with hdmi, but our HU doesn't support it. I quoted your post because of the audio work around.

Edit: fixed it to include op
I see. I thought @Quicksipper had already confirmed that the mirroring option isn't supported. Anyways, looks like OP's best option might be Apple maps if he wants something on the screen. At least Google Maps gets CarPlay certified.
Sponsored