First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is my first car with automatic climate control, and I gotta say I'm not a huge fan (no pun intended).

In all my previous cars ('02 Civic, '13 Civic, '16 Subaru Crosstrek), they had manual AC controls: hot/cold knob and fan speed knob. And the hot/cold knob only rotated like 200 degrees, it wasn't an infinitely spinning dial.

In those cars, when the AC was off and fan speed was 0, I would still get passive air coming in through the vents. It wasn't much, but was enough to keep comfortable when the temperatures weren't extreme hot/cold. If I turned the knob all the way hot, it would give me hot air from the engine, and if I turned it all the way cold it would give me outside-temperature air.

However in my '19 CTR, with the automatic climate, I can't seem to get passive air at all. With everything off, no air is coming in through the vents whatsoever. I've tried playing with everything but I can't seem to find any way to get it to happen (I figured it might be tied to the recirculate but it doesn't appear that way).

Is there something I'm missing, or is this just not possible with auto climate?
Sponsored

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I guess I consider this an upgrade. If I want the system off, it's because I don't want air flow.

To answer your question: to me, the lowest fan speed feels about the same as the amount of air flow you are wanting and what I experience in my 2001 Accord when the system is off.

EDIT: It doesn't really have anything to do with the climate control having an automatic setting.

OP
OP
blackhawk867

blackhawk867

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess I consider this an upgrade. If I want the system off, it's because I don't want air flow.

To answer your question: to me, the lowest fan speed feels about the same as the amount of air flow you are wanting and what I experience in my 2001 Accord when the system is off.

EDIT: It doesn't really have anything to do with the climate control having an automatic setting.
I get that, my question/point is that I want a small amount of airflow WITHOUT the fan being on. I basically want that little bit of fresh air without having the drain of having the fan/AC on

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, you cannot have air coming in with the climate turned off because when the climate is turned off the admission duct which lets air inside is closed by a flap. The old style, manual ventilation system do not have that flap, the system always lets air in (and bugs, spiders and even small rodents). Can i ask why is it not an option to have the fan turned ON on the lowest setting (or any setting you may want)?

OP
OP
blackhawk867

blackhawk867

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, you cannot have air coming in with the climate turned off because when the climate is turned off the admission duct which lets air inside is closed by a flap. The old style, manual ventilation system do not have that flap, the system always lets air in (and bugs, spiders and even small rodents). Can i ask why is it not an option to have the fan turned ON on the lowest setting (or any setting you may want)?
Thanks for the info, that's what I figured. My reasoning was mainly from a gas mileage standpoint, I'd prefer to get that little bit of fresh air without the drain of the fan or AC.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fan puts 0% drain on your engine, or, in other terms, it’s like listening to the radio.

OP
OP
blackhawk867

blackhawk867

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fan puts 0% drain on your engine, or, in other terms, it’s like listening to the radio.
I mean, it's not 0%, since it does require power to use, but I get that it is basically negligible. Thanks for your info.
Sponsored