Any warranty declined due to KTuner or other ECU tuning tools?

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
First of all, I am planning to get the KTuner V2 after getting my 18 CTR. I am aware that I will need to send in my ECU to be unlocked first and then to load maps with the V2 unit. I know that there are a lot of advises about unlocking the V2 unit before bringing into dealer shop every time.

But I am still worried that once the people finds out that the ECU has been decrypted. they would void both factory/extended warranties. So, i really want to know what the chance is and if anyone has such experience? For those who works for Honda, please chime in. How often does a dealer shop check out the ECU? And is it easy for them to tell right away on a decrypted ECU, like once they hook it up their diagnostic equipment?

Anyone with positive or negative experience, please chime in. If the risk is high, I could at least save myself an extended warranty. :)
Sponsored

LoneStarFlatLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
I have put 15,500 miles on my car in 15 months and have been running the KTuner with the TSP tune since the start of month 2. I haven't had any need for warranty work. I've not seen any threads about people having issues with warranty work.

2018ST

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R, 2017 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
If you unlock your ECU I am sure Honda can tell that has been done. As far as warranty goes, couldn't Honda refuse almost anything just by saying you over powered the car. Broken seat...the seat wasn't made to with stand that much power.
Broken water pump...samething
Broken suspension...
The list can go on and on...
Is the extra power worth it??

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
form what i've seen there is no confirmed cases of Honda being able to view a log of your flashes. if you bring your car in i highly recommend flashing back to the factory tune first and playing stupid.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you unlock your ECU I am sure Honda can tell that has been done. As far as warranty goes, couldn't Honda refuse almost anything just by saying you over powered the car. Broken seat...the seat wasn't made to with stand that much power.
Broken water pump...samething
Broken suspension...
The list can go on and on...
Is the extra power worth it??
Yes. :)

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
form what i've seen there is no confirmed cases of Honda being able to view a log of your flashes. if you bring your car in i highly recommend flashing back to the factory tune first and playing stupid.
Don't forget to actually unlock the ktuner unit.

I flashed back to stock, unlocked and sold my V2 as I was just too paranoid it was going to mess something up with my car. I kept getting these random burning smells but then after flashing back to stock and have been on it now for about 3-4 weeks roughly, I still get the smell of burning rubber/plastic here and there but since there's quite a large amount of construction going on (especially on my way to and from work) I feel like it's just all in my head and its the smell of asphault and all that stuff that I'm smelling.

If I make it through the whole winter with still no issues and all that then I may repurchase a ktuner v1.2 and reflash. On the fence about it though.

OP
OP
EnjoyDriving

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Curious - why will you want a v1.2, and not a v2 again?

Don't forget to actually unlock the ktuner unit.

I flashed back to stock, unlocked and sold my V2 as I was just too paranoid it was going to mess something up with my car. I kept getting these random burning smells but then after flashing back to stock and have been on it now for about 3-4 weeks roughly, I still get the smell of burning rubber/plastic here and there but since there's quite a large amount of construction going on (especially on my way to and from work) I feel like it's just all in my head and its the smell of asphault and all that stuff that I'm smelling.

If I make it through the whole winter with still no issues and all that then I may repurchase a ktuner v1.2 and reflash. On the fence about it though.

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Curious - why will you want a v1.2, and not a v2 again?
One less thing for someone to see and steal from the car, recently my street had a string of broken car windows on the drivers side (only cars parked on the street) so I was lucky but still, would rather not risk it.

Not only that but with hondahack you can see most of everything on that screen instead of having another device.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have put 15,500 miles on my car in 15 months and have been running the KTuner with the TSP tune since the start of month 2. I haven't had any need for warranty work. I've not seen any threads about people having issues with warranty work.
Yeah but you don’t have an R and the non R’s don’t need their ECU to be unlocked is the difference. I’d say if your going to put aftermarket parts then forget about warranty lol

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Has it been determined what can and can't be seen by Honda/dealers?

I've heard conflicting information on some of the facebook groups. I'm not tuned, but considering it mostly for the rev-hang delete.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You basically need to buy a tuner knowing that "potentially" your warranty is toast. If you can't handle that possibilty, you shouldn't get a tuner.

Personally, I believe Hondata and Ktuner base tunes are safe and reliable. The difference they make is amazing.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

I think the answer is :

(1) If you are not going to need warranty work, then there is no penalty for using a Tuner.

(2) If you don't want thing to get screwed up with your car, don't ever take it back to the Dealer for routine maintenance.
I get the strong impression, that most cars leaving the Honda Manufacturing Plant are basically not going to have Warranty issues, but the chance of them needing warranty work (or work NOT covered by warranty), increases in direct proportion to the amount of work carried out on the car by the dealer.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
There was a user here who blew their engine and had warranty denied due to using a flashed ecu.....but they also had "I race u" as a license plate and had posted all over the web on social media and forums talking about their mods and about repeatedly hitting the rev limiter.

It was equal parts sad and impressive.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I think the answer is :

(1) If you are not going to need warranty work, then there is no penalty for using a Tuner.

(2) If you don't want thing to get screwed up with your car, don't ever take it back to the Dealer for routine maintenance.
I get the strong impression, that most cars leaving the Honda Manufacturing Plant are basically not going to have Warranty issues, but the chance of them needing warranty work (or work NOT covered by warranty), increases in direct proportion to the amount of work carried out on the car by the dealer.
+1 .Avoid dealership service at all costs. I even have a trusted garage perform service for recall items when possible.