First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're in a good spot financially to do it, I'd say there's no question. My 10th gen Si was going to be my "10 year car" but I was fortunate enough to be able to change that a few months ago. The Si is a fantastic car, but the shortcomings it does have would have always had me wondering about the other car. I had my eye on 27won's drop-in turbo as well as a flywheel replacement to address my two biggest gripes - unsatisfying redline and maddeningly slow rev dropping - but the R has all of that solved and more from the factory. It gets about 75% of the fuel economy in my experience, which is a fine trade-off. I haven't hit the dreaded tire expiration yet, but I think there are some recommendations on here for longer-lasting tires that will fit the wheels, which is great because the wheels are one of my favorite parts of the car.
Sponsored

The_Honda_Code

Code FK8
First Name
Code
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So my dealership has recently offered me an upgrade to the Type R but I’d be looking at about an extra $200 a month for the car.

I currently have the Si and was planning to do some basic bolt-ons in the near future but now I’m curious as to whether just going to the Type R would be a better option.

Are there any previous Si owners who upgraded to the Type R? Thoughts? Opinions? Is it worth the extra money?

I owned a 17 Si and upgraded to the Type R a month ago. The difference is night and day, but obviously at a cost.
I loved my Civic SI, but there were a lot of things about it that I didn't like. For instance, the clutch travel, and clutch engagement were horrible. The clutch engages like one inch from fully disengaged, causing constant messed up shifts. And the Turbo lag, was very noticeable compared to the Type R.

Obviously, if you can get the Civic type-r for MSRP or lower, which is very rare, it's totally worth every penny.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
I owned a 2019 Si for about 3 months and then upgraded to the TypeR.

I tried to ramp up the mods on the Si to rival the horsepower of the TypeR, but I just couldn't get it there. The screeching engine sound at anything above 5k bothered me. I loved the heated seats and I loved the side mirror camera. The interiors are very similar as you mentioned, but having the built-in Navigation is a god-send. Both cars have incredible gear shifting and rock solid transmissions. You will love the rev matching of the TypeR, the seats are much better than the Si (in fact, they are the best seat of any rally car). The TypeR's power is way ahead of the Si.

As other have posted, the TypeR is a completely different car. More refined, better handling, more meaningful features (i.e. navigation), much more power, great asthetics and overall the best iteration that Honda has done. They are both very fun to drive cars, but the TypeR is just another ballgame.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
I owned a 17 Si and upgraded to the Type R a month ago. The difference is night and day, but obviously at a cost.
I loved my Civic SI, but there were a lot of things about it that I didn't like. For instance, the clutch travel, and clutch engagement were horrible. The clutch engages like one inch from fully disengaged, causing constant messed up shifts. And the Turbo lag, was very noticeable compared to the Type R.

Obviously, if you can get the Civic type-r for MSRP or lower, which is very rare, it's totally worth every penny.
Disagree.

If you want the TypeR, go ahead and pay for the ADM as long as it's reasonable. I bought mine at $6k ADM but they had some really nice addons that I would have wanted anyway. Not saying I couldn't have gotten them for cheaper than $6k, but to me, the car is worth more than MSRP.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I'm interested if anyone here traded in their R for an Si. I know one YouTuber that traded in his R for a Sport... which I'll never understand.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Probably couldn't afford his payment.
I don't think it was that. He had several nice cars and a nice place. He didn't appear to be hurting. He said he wanted the sport so he could modify it. Iirc he also missed the manual of the sport? Some here will know who I speak of. I can't remember his YouTube channel name right off hand. It just seems weird. It's like trading in a ZL1 for a SS or a GT350 for a GT.

afxtwn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic SI, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I kept my 06 SI. (Still absolutely love the car plan on putting another 200k miles on it) But the upgrade is definetely worth it. The cars are kinda night and day. R just completely blows it away in every regard. I got kinda ripped off for the SI so I'm actually not paying THAT much more for it ( I was young and dumb)I say go for it!

Honda Civic 10th gen Any Previous Si Owners? 20190917_191345

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I daily drove a 09' SI since 2011. It had 30K miles on it when I purchased it and it had 139K on it when I bought my 19' Type R. It has been absolutely reliable the whole time, it even still has the original clutch! I loved driving it daily and I decided to keep it for more dd and bad weather usage. I enjoy them both and the FK8 is a much evolved car in absolutely everyway ....yet the family lineage is impossible to notice!

View attachment 175879

View attachment 175880

Honda Civic 10th gen Any Previous Si Owners? 285B54FD-F54E-4B30-BCE8-F7AB367E52B1

Honda Civic 10th gen Any Previous Si Owners? 45E1767D-E6D2-4CFE-B6D4-0CC04F63FC9A

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I don't think it was that. He had several nice cars and a nice place. He didn't appear to be hurting. He said he wanted the sport so he could modify it. Iirc he also missed the manual of the sport? Some here will know who I speak of. I can't remember his YouTube channel name right off hand. It just seems weird. It's like trading in a ZL1 for a SS or a GT350 for a GT.
Guys name is Rob, Robmotive. Guy has a bowling ball as a shifter(jk) lol. Wonder if his mom end up getting a Type R? He trade it in because the regular civic's shift smoother, something about modding bur nothing that has to do with no $$. Seem like he has a Tundra/Tacoma/Audi/Corvette?idk

OP
OP
OverX

OverX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Guys name is Rob, Robmotive. Guy has a bowling ball as a shifter(jk) lol. Wonder if his mom end up getting a Type R? He trade it in because the regular civic's shift smoother, something about modding bur nothing that has to do with no $$. Seem like he has a Tundra/Tacoma/Audi/Corvette?idk
I don’t know anything about this guy... but it kind of sounds like click bait to me since everyone is raving about the Type R

CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I don’t know anything about this guy... but it kind of sounds like click bait to me since everyone is raving about the Type R
Was replying to the post above, nothing about 'go watch' this person's video.

Mods wont make a SI a Type R and if the price and practicality works, get it.
Sponsored