Any iOS 12 / CarPlay comments yet

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
After being bitten in the _____ during the public betas of iOS 10 and iOS 11 I have not rushed out to install the public beta of IOS 12 but am curious if others braver than I have any comments about how it is working in regards to CarPlay.

FYI...iOS 11 and CarPlay with the latest Honda firmware (for my 2016 Touring) has been pretty good overall. Still get the "No Device Connected" message from time to time but it is WAY more stable than it was with iOS 10. Since the firmware update (finally!) a few weeks ago I see the "No Device Connected" message even less but it still pops up from time to time.
Sponsored

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm on 12 beta 5 on a iPhone 6s Runs smoothly and boots quick and apple CarPlay has no issues for me, think my battery lasts longer on 12 than it did with 11 too...pretty close anyway.

Ive never had any issue with CarPlay regardless of what iOS version I used. Never used 9 however

Last edited:

milosays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Aside from iOS 12 b2 where any use of any camera would disconnect CarPlay, it has been surprisingly smooth sailing with iOS 12. The single issue I have seen so far is that the iPhone (X) would not be recognized (showing No device connected) intermittently when initially connected. Content would still start to play, but the "not connected" banner would be on the head unit display. Simply disconnecting and reinserting the USB-A plug (port, not lightning port on the phone, my preferred method) resolves the issue, and CarPlay works flawlessly. There have been a few, sparse occasions where Siri would stall an unusual amount of time, not being able to complete the command. In those cases, a restart of the phone was required (par for the course for early betas). Overall, IMO, iOS 12 is a monumental improvement in stability and moreso, predictability. I would venture to say, that the update to my '16 Touring sedan to version .197 is really the one thing that improved CarPlay performance for me.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I read it will allow more apps to run on the touchscreen, including Google maps. Anyone tried this yet?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Don't think the feature is out yet for Waze and Google Maps being able to be used in Carplay because they would have to update their apps to support it. I don't have the beta installed though because I have had a bad experience with them in the past, so I could be wrong. I think if it isn't on the Betas then it will 100% be on the official release of iOS 12. Truthfully, my biggest reason for installing iOS 12 would be to get google maps or waze onto carplay.

trealsi™

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Civic Si, 2018 Civic Si - Treal Performance
Aside from iOS 12 b2 where any use of any camera would disconnect CarPlay, it has been surprisingly smooth sailing with iOS 12. .
I encountered this exact issue prior, which I reported it to Apple dev and rolled back to iOS11. Apparently it's been fixed since, but I'm going to not update to iOS12 till public release.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
I read it will allow more apps to run on the touchscreen, including Google maps. Anyone tried this yet?
3rd party applications need to utilize the new Apple Carplay navigation framework to utilize ACP. No one has released one yet and Sygic is the only one that has shown progress publicly.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I encountered this exact issue prior, which I reported it to Apple dev and rolled back to iOS11. Apparently it's been fixed since, but I'm going to not update to iOS12 till public release.
Camera works fine on beta 5 while plugged into the car, though audio mutes momentarily for the camera shutter sound

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
I just updated to Beta 6 last night. Is it me or does ACP feel snappier with iOS12?

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Will th ios12 allow me to use navigation app like Navigon on the infotainment screen?

Sivaru

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si '18
Country flag
Will th ios12 allow me to use navigation app like Navigon on the infotainment screen?
None of the navigational apps have been updated to support iOS 12 functions in CarPlay. It’s most likely that they are not allowed to release these updates until the Grand Master version is released.

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
None of the navigational apps have been updated to support iOS 12 functions in CarPlay. It’s most likely that they are not allowed to release these updates until the Grand Master version is released.
I cannot wait for the ios 12 gm.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
Officially out today

Apparently waze beta for CarPlay is out too
Sponsored