Any hypermilers here?

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
why would anyone with any brains care about a couple more miles per gallon? Are you guys really so lacking a life that this is what is important to you? Saving one or two dollars every hundred miles???? I wouldn't want to be your wife or girlfriend. You're so obsessed with nickels and dimes that your oblivious to the much larger and more important issues that are lacking in your lives.
Sponsored

pgrimm856

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase
why would anyone with any brains care about a couple more miles per gallon? Are you guys really so lacking a life that this is what is important to you? Saving one or two dollars every hundred miles???? I wouldn't want to be your wife or girlfriend. You're so obsessed with nickels and dimes that your oblivious to the much larger and more important issues that are lacking in your lives.
We are all happy that you are not our girlfriend. That said, "Small things matter to the wealthy." Besides, you falsely assume to know something of us. Purtroppo per tu.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I'm gonna guess it's similar to people who mod their PCs - it's fun, a challenge, kind of like playing solitaire while driving. I certainly don't think they're doing it cause they're cheap or broke.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I do it to save money and for the environment. No not the few dollars a week that I save in gas, that is nearly nothing. But going easy on the vehicle by hypermiling extends the life of the entire car drastically and keeps you from getting tickets and subsequent higher insurance rates. Since I started five years ago I have not had a single ticket or major vehicle repair, my insurance rates have dropped, and my wear items like oil, brakes, and tires have lasted far far longer between service. I save at least $150 a month in vehicle expenses over zooming around town like I used to. I also have a much more pleasant commute. I live in Michigan which has hands down the most entitled/brain dead drivers in the country. Instead of getting worked up into a rage over others who are slowing the traffic flow and/or endangering others with their idiotic driving, now I just go with the flow. There is a zen-like feeling that you only get on the race track or riding a cycle for efficiency. I used to race home and see how fast I could get anywhere, measuring my success in time. Changing the metric to fuel efficiency is the only way I can cope with the stupidity of other drivers.

pgrimm856

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase
I do it to save money and for the environment. No not the few dollars a week that I save in gas, that is nearly nothing. But going easy on the vehicle by hypermiling extends the life of the entire car drastically and keeps you from getting tickets and subsequent higher insurance rates. Since I started five years ago I have not had a single ticket or major vehicle repair, my insurance rates have dropped, and my wear items like oil, brakes, and tires have lasted far far longer between service. I save at least $150 a month in vehicle expenses over zooming around town like I used to. I also have a much more pleasant commute. I live in Michigan which has hands down the most entitled/brain dead drivers in the country. Instead of getting worked up into a rage over others who are slowing the traffic flow and/or endangering others with their idiotic driving, now I just go with the flow. There is a zen-like feeling that you only get on the race track or riding a cycle for efficiency. I used to race home and see how fast I could get anywhere, measuring my success in time. Changing the metric to fuel efficiency is the only way I can cope with the stupidity of other drivers.
Fyi - I started hypermile driving years ago with my Ranger. After 100k miles, I was driving with original factory brake pads (checked by me ever 10k miles for wear) plus over 55k miles on tires still legal. Similarly, the clutch and 4WD linkage were still in servicable tolerances. My main motivation is conservation of resources that adds up.to more money in the bank. And money is a good way to "keep score". Flooring the accelerator and throwing on the binders at every stop isn't my way of life. So I don't feel guilty trading in my Honda every 3 years. Guess some of you are right - hypermile driving does not make sence.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not a real Hypermiler, but I'm trying to get a good mileage most of the time. I'm driving a CVT, I know that the mileage would be a bit better with a manual transmission but I'm trying my best anyway.

My driving is 20/15/65 (city /country road/ Autobahn), so I have traffic lights, jams and stop and go traffic on my daily driving. I also have some altitude to overcome.

My absolute best was mileage was 53 mpg but that was only from one two hour drive on a highway. But
for me it's far more important what I can get from a single gas tank. And so my best milage with one gas tank was 40.5 mpg, I could reach 453 miles. That's not impressive but nonetheless it's my personal record.

When it comes to hypermiling the slip streaming effect can be a good method to get a good mileage but if you follow closely so that slip streaming will be highly effective it's too dangerous. So has anybody ever tried out how much you can safe if you have the ACC set to the minimum following distance?

Last edited:

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Not a hypermiler. I've been making plans to patch the rear of my 2019 civic hatchback and find a way to attach aero covers to my wheels to reduce drag.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, how are all you guys engines running if you never take it past 2k rpm? I would think the carbon buildup would be worse.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, how are all you guys engines running if you never take it past 2k rpm? I would think the carbon buildup would be worse.
I floor mine on on-ramps to the Autobahn. And also sometimes when passing other cars, then I reach speeds like 100 or 110 mph for short periods but that's probably also one of the reasons why I'm not very good at hypermiling. :rolleyes:

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Get some 16” lightweight wheels with the stock tires. Saves about 10lbs a corner. 11.9 lbs for CE28’s. That’ll save a couple mpg right there.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Highlights of hypermiling:

-Driving under the speed limit on the freeway, pissing off every normal driver around you as you clog up traffic to get your extra 10 mpgs

-Hugging close to Semis in the blindspot to catch the wind the right way. (Good way to get yourself killed)

-Coasting to a stop at every light and stop sign (Good way to get rear ended)

-Obsessing over pennies, stressing out any time you gotta push the gas pedal to accelerate, that is mentally draining.

When you drive like this, not caring or paying attention to the drivers sharing the road with you, unaware of common highway courtesy, you are putting yourself at risk. Everybody on the road thinks they are the greatest driver who ever lived. There are a lot of stupid people who drive erratically and cause accidents when they get offended by someone else's driving behavior.

The extra 5$ every 400 miles and extended brake pad life aint worth it people. I drive over 1000 miles a week for work and personal trips. You see some shit when you spend that much time on the road. Talk to any truck driver. If you’re gonna die, it’s most likely going to be in the drivers seat of your car.

You should be obsessing about how to drive more safely and reduce your risk of being victim to another idiot sharing the road with you. And if that means flooring it to get out of their way, fucking floor it. The best drivers are the ones who consider themselves to always be a student of the road. Always trying to improve and reduce risk for themselves, and others around them.

If you think you are hypermiling to help the environment, you are delirious. Get a fucking Prius or a Tesla, move to California, and get out of the fucking left lane already.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
^wrong much?
There is a tool to get those lace panties out of your ass. It’s called relax some people like to increase their mpg slightly. Not everyone does what you imply.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
When it comes to hypermiling the slip streaming effect can be a good method to get a good mileage but if you follow closely so that slip streaming will be highly effective it's too dangerous. So has anybody ever tried out how much you can safe if you have the ACC set to the minimum following distance?
You don't need to be remotely close to a semi to get a good slipstream effect. 20 car lengths back will give you a good little boost, and riding the bumper will pretty much allow you to turn your engine off except for hills. I try to stay half of the legal tailgating distance, about a half car length per 10mph. This gives me about 50% more mpg at highway speeds and is safer and further back than most traffic stays anyway. I use the 3-4 car lengths as a buffer for when the semi speeds up and slows down, following too closely you will have to use breaks if anything happens and that will kill all the extra mpg's you just saved pretty quickly. Pretty much 90% of drivers tailgate in dense traffic. I am usually further back than just about everyone else, and you are much safer behind a semi than anywhere else but a clear road. They stop and accelerate so slowly that it is easy to react to them, they will never outbreak you unless they run into a brick wall.
Sponsored