Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it?

Nitori

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2016 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
So I'm rapidly getting sick of my dealership and their service department. As part of the pre delivery inspection they told me they removed an alarm, turns out they were too busy putting big glob boogers of tire shine on my tires and inflating them to 50 PSI to get it done. :nono:

I pointed out that the little IR unit or whatever was still there screwed into the dash and they said the alarm was totally removed anyways so it wouldn't matter but definitely don't remove that because reasons. :crazy:

Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? IMG_2267.JPG

That's the easy part, just unscrew it.

Here's the unit itself, doesn't look like everything is plugged in so maybe they did remove something...
Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? IMG_2269.JPG

Hard to take pictures up under there... maybe those barcodes/part numbers help? I googled them and all I got was a 2013 post from a guy with a Toyota Tundra wondering what the hell it is too, same harness PN's.
Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? IMG_2271.JPG

And then the really jank part... there appears to be a splice and wire that goes into the door hinge area. Can't take a good picture because there is no slack but it's that clear sheath speaker wire!:what:
Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? IMG_2273.JPG

Any ideas? Something like an install guide would be super helpful in a quest to undo it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? IMG_2267.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? IMG_2269.JPG

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went through this with my CR-V. If it’s a half-assed alarm installation by skipping the starter relay, you can simply disconnect all the connectors from the alarm control unit (black box) and zip tie all the loose wires and unscrew/remove the led light under the steering column and call it a day. At this point, if the car starts up, you’re golden.

Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? 9FB97801-D0CD-44FE-B4C3-FFB0DF184520

If you wish to go further to clean up all the loose wires, simply trace them back to the half dozen t-taps (yellow below) and carefully disconnect the (female?) connectors (perpendicular to the OE wire). Red connectors below (example only):

Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? B697FB61-F7AC-414B-90F1-C0C9AA1C537C

You can safely leave the t-taps on the OE wires.

There’s a ground wire (screwed on) that’s near the door hinge that can be accessed by removing the plastic panel.

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
The system in the open car looks like a dealer inventory management/tracking system that they try to sell as and alarm. I see them fairly often in used car lots, but new also. It's fairly easy to remove. Just follow the wires from the module to where they were connected. The one that is cut and spliced may need reconnected.

OP
OP
Nitori

Nitori

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ugh, way more wires than I realized are connected to this thing! I clipped the zip tie holding it up and down came 2 extra harnesses each with a pile of t-taps. :rolleyes1:

But mercifully there is a silver lining, the FCC id has to be printed on these things so I google that and immediately I have access to the instructions for install. Big federal agencies ain't that bad sometimes, I guess!:coffee:

The speaker wire that I found is because they had to wire to an unlock signal in the door or something, it goes out into the door so I guess I have to take that panel off too. I'm thinking this is a good time to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before I start pulling things apart.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I'm thinking this is a good time to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before I start pulling things apart.
Always.

This would really tweak my melons if it were my car.

I've had good luck in the past covering these things by cutting a piece of heat-shrink tubing, cut lengthwise, and placing it over the splice. Then a few small zip ties will keep it there whilst being shrunk.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Nitori

Nitori

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Always.

This would really tweak my melons if it were my car.

I've had good luck in the past covering these things by cutting a piece of heat-shrink tubing, cut lengthwise, and placing it over the splice. Then a few small zip ties will keep it there whilst being shrunk.

Good luck.
I like the term "tweak my melons" hahaha

But yeah I am miffed that these stupid things get put on cars for no good reason other than markup...

There was a lot of cussing involved, those t-taps are hard to pull off the connector without applying a lot of pressure to the wire you don't want to damage.
Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? reee

Some of these t-taps I think all I can really do is just pop them off the wire itself and wrap in electrical tape they're so darn hard to get to as well!

And one wire does need to be re-spliced but that one I can slide a length of heat shrink over before I go to town.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Some of these t-taps I think all I can really do is just pop them off the wire itself and wrap in electrical tape they're so darn hard to get to as well!
I hear ya'. Electrical tape *with* a small zip tie or twisty tie keeps the tape from coming off when it dries out (especially with the heat ducts blowing in that area). I wish you good luck.

OP
OP
Nitori

Nitori

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hear ya'. Electrical tape *with* a small zip tie or twisty tie keeps the tape from coming off when it dries out (especially with the heat ducts blowing in that area). I wish you good luck.
My method is a little different, I use a small little section (almost square) of electrical tape to cover the nick and then I re-wrap the harness up to where it was originally wrapped, so even with heat it's never gonna get a chance to fall off.

As I found it:
Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? IMG_2285.JPG

Cut the tape back, separate the wire, add aforementioned little square:
Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? IMG_2286.JPG

Re-wrap everything nice and snug:
Honda Civic 10th gen Any help identifying a car alarm and how to remove it? IMG_2287.JPG

After I took that last pic I cleaned up the frayed tape I had cut through on the split loom, and re-fixed the split loom onto the bundle. IMO that's a lot more secure than a twist tie or anything because you can wrap the outside snug as hell and then what's inside is totally protected.

Oh and I use the the good tape, 3M 33+ so it stays good the longest. :thumbsup:

Now to move on to actual fun mods!