Any Grievances for the 2018 Civic Si?

jhokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
At 22K out the door there isn't another car that can touch the Si.

Its quick, fun and gets over 40 MPG.

I've got a few bolts on and a Vit stage 1 tune and the car rips.

My only gripe is the lack of a fan and volume knob. I swapped the climate control for one with a fan knob. So really for the money only having an issue with no volume knob isn't bad.

I looked at other cars and nothing else comes close to this car that's as fun to drive or on the power level.
How the hell are people getting 40mpg? Almost all highway driving and Keeping it at speed limit?

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
And with a hondata or ktuner you can be real close with performance (or maybe even equal to GTI).

The Si out performs the GTI in everything but straight line performance and can equal it in a quater mile. The Gti isnt the perfromance car bargain here, it is a better all around daily though.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si out performs the GTI in everything but straight line performance and can equal it in a quater mile. The Gti isnt the perfromance car bargain here, it is a better all around daily though.

For 6K more though.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How the hell are people getting 40mpg? Almost all highway driving and Keeping it at speed limit?
...yes.

Put the car on the interstate, set the cruise on to 70 MPH. You should settle around 40. I got between 41 and 42 over 600 miles each way driving from GA to VA and back right after I got the car. A tiny engine, burning lean and staying in a vacuum does pretty well.

250gtswb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe; 1969 Honda S800M Roadster
Country flag
Dampers these days last 200,000 miles I don’t see how a replacement cost is relevant. I can also tell a much bigger difference between modes now that the car has been battered with pot holes
Ataricade, do you mean that all the potholes you've driven over actually changed the way the car's dampers handles bumps, or that your experience of driving over bad potholes changed your perception of the Si's ride quality in one or both of the two modes?

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Personally, I think using the Si as a go straight highway car is a boring waste. This car is built for handling, cornering and overall having fun. Luckily, I don’t use or need the highway much at all. Just city, side road driving and I’m averaging slightly over 36mpg while having fun with it. If I needed a economical go straight highway car, I’d buy a Honda Fit.

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Very very few if any are getting it 22k out the door. That’s like 21,200 plus destination and tax. That’s not happening without a bro deal.
Got mine for $22k. Found two dealers with multiple SI sedans on lots. Sent emails back and forth for best deal. Then phone calls. Then went back and forth for face to face with both dealers. When they stopped going any lower I called the salesman i liked better and he agreed to make up the difference by giving me more for my two trade in vehicles.

Go at the end of the month. Spend lots of time with a salesman. The more time you spend with them the more invested they are in getting the sale. They do not want to waste 2-4 hours of their day without a sale.

OP
OP
Recked

Recked

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Civic EX Sedan, 2009 VW Passat Wagon (Turbo), 2014 Honda Pioneer
I think leasing is never a good decision unless you plan to turn around the car quickly. I have never done a lease so I'm not an expert on it by any means.
Totally understand the concern, but my monthly payment is $226 after taxes, and that's for 15K annual miles. It's good for me because I am establishing credit, a good relationship with Honda Financial Services, and I get a new car every three years--or until I decide to keep the one I have! This is my second lease with a Honda Civic.

OP
OP
Recked

Recked

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Civic EX Sedan, 2009 VW Passat Wagon (Turbo), 2014 Honda Pioneer
Got mine for $22k. Found two dealers with multiple SI sedans on lots. Sent emails back and forth for best deal. Then phone calls. Then went back and forth for face to face with both dealers. When they stopped going any lower I called the salesman i liked better and he agreed to make up the difference by giving me more for my two trade in vehicles.

Go at the end of the month. Spend lots of time with a salesman. The more time you spend with them the more invested they are in getting the sale. They do not want to waste 2-4 hours of their day without a sale.
This guy knows how to make a purchase! That's some Jedi mind trick shenanigans. Was this a 2017, or 2018? Did you get the sedan, or the coupe?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
This guy knows how to make a purchase! That's some Jedi mind trick shenanigans. Was this a 2017, or 2018? Did you get the sedan, or the coupe?
2017 SI Sedan purchased near the end of September last year.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Totally understand the concern, but my monthly payment is $226 after taxes, and that's for 15K annual miles. It's good for me because I am establishing credit, a good relationship with Honda Financial Services, and I get a new car every three years--or until I decide to keep the one I have! This is my second lease with a Honda Civic.
That's over 100 a month less than the payment I was doing for the '15, so that sounds fine. I did have a couple thousand in equity by buying vs leasing and was able to save another thousand or so based on the trade lowering the amount of tax I had to pay.

Again, not here to judge or say I know that much about leasing. Never done it. Given Honda's tend to retain their value well... and the recent sales on new cars now based on slow sales, it may at least be worth considering if you've started to establish some credit.

I paid about 23k OTD for the '15 Si (can't find the paper... I think it was 22.9), the last one in the lot they were trying to move. I got a little better than 16.5k for it in trade. Nothing outstanding but they gave me the median Edmund trade value, which is what I asked for... and saved about 1k in sales tax (6% of 16.5). Got the '18 for just under invoice (though not as good as these 22-ishk ones that people are managing right now) with summer tires and several dealer addons I did not pay additional for (sort of... it wasn't ' on the paper', but I'm sure the dealer did just fine.)

If you consider getting a little more than 16.5 plus saving 1k worth in tax... and know that off the 23k or so I paid the 3 years before... That works out to around 5500 (seems too good to be true, but that's what the numbers work out to) for 3 years. Now my payments were over $300 a month during that time... but I managed to get a chunk of change back out of the car to throw at the new one. That's was with me putting no money down. I don't know if you have a couple thousand due at lease signing or if that was a 'sign and drive" kind of deal. Leasing sound attractive if you just drive the car off with 1/2-2/3 of a regular payment... but if you've got a bunch you have to put down then it seems to lose it's luster.

I financed around 22.5k once it was all said and done... with the tax, tag, delivery and doc. My payments are nearly 400 though, doing 60 months. They can be extended out to 84 months and get under 300... but that's a looong time to pay for a car.

Just work the numbers on both sides to see if it really is worth doing. Obviously, if a larger payment puts you in financial hardship, then it doesn't matter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Any Grievances for the 2018 Civic Si? IMG_22191_01

This was a rough draft of my deal. I ended up adding the gap through my bank and did my own financing... but it all worked out within a couple hundred of their final amount. I got an '18 before they had even arrived on the lot. I had to wait a week for one to come off a boat and get delivered to the dealer via *another* dealer.

Good luck! It's a great car and you'll enjoy it! Just try and get the best deal you can. :thumbsup:

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First let me say that this is the best car I have ever owned. As to gripes, the small trubo is a mixed bag. A larger turbo would give more power, but it would be at the top end. The small turbo is great at the midrange and revs up very fast. It just gives up at the top end. I think I probably prefer the current low end torque though, as that is what I use driving around. Also, they made the infotainment heads up unit harder to modify than the 2017 Si. The 1.5L is a bit small since most of the time you are not on the turbo. A great tune can help a bit, but only a bit. The gas milage is fantastic with the small engine though. I will not repeat the stuff others have already said in the thread.

jhokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
First let me say that this is the best car I have ever owned. As to gripes, the small trubo is a mixed bag. A larger turbo would give more power, but it would be at the top end. The small turbo is great at the midrange and revs up very fast. It just gives up at the top end. I think I probably prefer the current low end torque though, as that is what I use driving around. Also, they made the infotainment heads up unit harder to modify than the 2017 Si. The 1.5L is a bit small since most of the time you are not on the turbo. A great tune can help a bit, but only a bit. The gas milage is fantastic with the small engine though. I will not repeat the stuff others have already said in the thread.
I just tuned my 2018 Sedan with a pretty conservative Ktuner 21.5 basemap. I personally feel it's more than a small difference from factory, and it definitely feels more than just the PSI increase at wide open throttle. In my opinion Si overall car package is great as it comes but the factory tune is not great. The car definitely feels more alive, responsive and like a sports car.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Typically, I get around 40 mpg on my 60 mi roundtrip commute to work. On a recent trip from PA to NC, I got around 45... Gas type makes a difference, at least one that I've noticed. I try to use nothing but Exxon, and it varies between those stations, at times.
Sponsored