Any experience with buddy club steering wheel?

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I did, I think I put a post in the "what did you do thread". I might write something up later on. The quality from the materials down to the stitching is as good as stock if not better. The quality of the leather is a few steps above stock; I had issues with flaking on my stock wheel and the stock leather felt kind of "sticky", the new wheel doesn't feel that way which is nice. I remember when I first came from my '15 Camry to the Civic I wasn't a fan of the leather the Civic used. Ergonomics is upgraded almost entirely with beefier handgrips (though I'm neutral in terms of size since I have small hands) and the grooves on the top of the wheel for your fingers. The matted CF is absolutely gorgeous though and the customization I selected goes well with my interior. I've attached 3 photos below.

Edit: the only thing that caught me off guard was the fact that the wheel itself was about 2x heavier than stock (2.5lbs -> 5lbs). It does change the steering feel and feedback from the wheel. The only way I could describe it is like a weighted shift knob. Reduces feedback, harder to initially get moving, but once it gets moving it says in movement with little effort.

Edit 2: it is actually built off of an aftermarket core. I originally thought it was an OEM core, but that appears to not be the case. The quality seems good though.

Interior2.jpg

Front_med.jpg

Finger_grooves.jpg
I gotta say I’m a little shocked. You got it from is_autogroup on ig right?
Sponsored

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I did. What are you shocked about?
Because when I dm’d them asking them for a quote I specifically asked if they used Honda cores and they said yes. It even states it in a bunch of their posts that they use Honda cores.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
OEM core or not it does not matter. Plenty of people run aftermarket steering wheels. Only people/companies who use OEM cores are those who just rewrap them.

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
OEM core or not it does not matter. Plenty of people run aftermarket steering wheels. Only people/companies who use OEM cores are those who just rewrap them.
not saying which is better or worse. Just surprised me that they dont use OEM cores when they told me they did.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Because when I dm’d them asking them for a quote I specifically asked if they used Honda cores and they said yes. It even states it in a bunch of their posts that they use Honda cores.
I was told that as well. My core didn’t have any of the Honda markings that the stock wheel has.

bbalnce

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
I was told that as well. My core didn’t have any of the Honda markings that the stock wheel has.
I'm really interested in the wheel, my first choice would be full leather with perforated at 3&9, but all I saw seems to have a slim top and button but I want something thicker.
So far I like the one you have best in terms of the thickness.

My only concern is, with carbon fiber, is it easy to scratch and/or have swirl mark on them?
I have never had real carbon fiber, by the look of it, i'm afraid it would be easily scratched like piano glass. Since we touch steering wheel the most, i'd hope to get something durable.

Can you share some experience with the durability part? thanks!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I'm really interested in the wheel, my first choice would be full leather with perforated at 3&9, but all I saw seems to have a slim top and button but I want something thicker.
So far I like the one you have best in terms of the thickness.

My only concern is, with carbon fiber, is it easy to scratch and/or have swirl mark on them?
I have never had real carbon fiber, by the look of it, i'm afraid it would be easily scratched like piano glass. Since we touch steering wheel the most, i'd hope to get something durable.

Can you share some experience with the durability part? thanks!
The wheel is thin in the pictures, but is chunkier than the stock one in terms of overall depth on the handles. The top is still thicker than stock while the bottom has a very flat shape to it and does thin out. I would assume that it's possible to go full leather (no CF at all) and a setup like that might even cost less. Note that Handcraftd does make a full leather wheel, as does Buddy Club (black leather all around, red stitch, red noon marker). I have a feeling that the same factory is churning out all of these wheels. In terms of quality, they all should be the same. I feel confident in the quality of this wheel.

As for the CF and scratching/swirling. For a glossy finish (Buddy Club or IS-autogroup if you select that option), I wouldn't be surprised if you see finger prints, you will see fine scratches, etc. over time as that's what tends to happen with glossy finishes. I'd also argue that you could in theory polish and buff them back to new. Matted designs (which I have on my wheel) will not show fine scratches or finger prints nearly as well due to the matte texture in which case the scratches will hide in said texture. Up close, I'm sure you may be able to spot some though.

That said, my car is in the body shop right now getting some damage repaired, so I can't look at the actual wheel I have right now. I hope this was helpful, let me know if you have any other questions.

bbalnce

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
The wheel is thin in the pictures, but is chunkier than the stock one in terms of overall depth on the handles. The top is still thicker than stock while the bottom has a very flat shape to it and does thin out. I would assume that it's possible to go full leather (no CF at all) and a setup like that might even cost less. Note that Handcraftd does make a full leather wheel, as does Buddy Club (black leather all around, red stitch, red noon marker). I have a feeling that the same factory is churning out all of these wheels. In terms of quality, they all should be the same. I feel confident in the quality of this wheel.

As for the CF and scratching/swirling. For a glossy finish (Buddy Club or IS-autogroup if you select that option), I wouldn't be surprised if you see finger prints, you will see fine scratches, etc. over time as that's what tends to happen with glossy finishes. I'd also argue that you could in theory polish and buff them back to new. Matted designs (which I have on my wheel) will not show fine scratches or finger prints nearly as well due to the matte texture in which case the scratches will hide in said texture. Up close, I'm sure you may be able to spot some though.

That said, my car is in the body shop right now getting some damage repaired, so I can't look at the actual wheel I have right now. I hope this was helpful, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for sharing!
I was going to order handcraftd until I saw your photo :) I like yours better in terms of cut off placement. but still not sure about if i should pay double the price..
my other concern with handcraftd is with the leather quality, especially top and bottom portion. I would hope to get something that has similar touch feel as the m sport steering wheel on bimmer, otherwise might as well get the matte carbon fiber one for the look

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thanks for sharing!
I was going to order handcraftd until I saw your photo :) I like yours better in terms of cut off placement. but still not sure about if i should pay double the price..
my other concern with handcraftd is with the leather quality, especially top and bottom portion. I would hope to get something that has similar touch feel as the m sport steering wheel on bimmer, otherwise might as well get the matte carbon fiber one for the look
That is the issue at the end of the day, it is about twice the price. Even the Buddy Club variant (glossy CF and branded on the flat bottom) is about 350-400. I really wanted the matte CF though. It works so well with the car (I always felt like glossy CF felt a little gaudy for my tastes).

bbalnce

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
That is the issue at the end of the day, it is about twice the price. Even the Buddy Club variant (glossy CF and branded on the flat bottom) is about 350-400. I really wanted the matte CF though. It works so well with the car (I always felt like glossy CF felt a little gaudy for my tastes).
finally went with handkraft, thought i would return it if the quality don't meet my expectation.
Glad to see it's actually very nice for $200. definitely thicker than oem all around and the leather feel higher quality as well. I'm satisfied.
Will wait for tools and make the swap soon.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
finally went with handkraft, thought i would return it if the quality don't meet my expectation.
Glad to see it's actually very nice for $200. definitely thicker than oem all around and the leather feel higher quality as well. I'm satisfied.
Will wait for tools and make the swap soon.
Nice, not too many tools needed (if you're planning on installing yourself): A long ratchet and a 10mm hex nut (male) for the center steering wheel nut, a regular length ratchet, T30 nut (male) for the airbag screws, a trim tool, steering wheel puller, and a Philips head screw driver. Most autoparts stores will let you borrow a steering wheel puller (with a deposit).

Show some pics after you install though, the wheel looks great in the pictures they provide.

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just ordered my buddy club today! should get it by next week. Whats a steering wheel puller? I had watched a few videos and from my understanding if you remove the two torx screws on the side of the column, the airbag should just pop out. Gonna have to watch more videos.
Sponsored