Any evidence that the 2.0 is detuned/overrated?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Stock 1.5t 0 to 100 17.7 seconds
Stock 2.0 0 to 100 22.1 seconds

This is according to Car and Drivers test results. Both Cvts with the 1.5 having a 120 lb weight disadvantage.

Glad I went with the turbo.
Congrats, you're Honda Civic is 4.4 seconds faster to a speed that most people do not care to reach and is illegal on public roads, or even if they do reach 100 I can guarantee most of em aren't flooring it to a 100 from a dead stop. I will never understand how a statistic like that is relevant in the real world unless we're talking about real sports cars or supercars or you're racing someone. But don't let me burst your bubble, I guess those 4 seconds you save on the trip up to 100 mph when you floor it will add up eventually :rolleyes:
Sponsored

Last edited:

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I never said the 2.0l was faster, either. I even stated specifically that the 1.5 was faster.... As a side note To be honest I feel it's extremely annoying how turbo users tend to come into some of the few few 2.0L threads and hijack it to talk about how the 1.5 is faster. It's like, that's nice? This is a NA thread, go circlejerk in a turbo thread

Let's get this thread back on topic.
What started all this was YOUR comment stating the 2.0 could keep up with the 1.5 and that the race would essentially come down to the driver of either car. Again YOU started that ridiculous argument and we were just trying to set you straight. Nobody's arguing about the feel of either engine, that's subjective and thats your opinion. We were arguing the objective part of your comment about both engines performance, more specifically their speeds when you made an OBJECTIVELY false statement about the 2.0's ability against the 1.5.

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
Uh bro.
What started all this was YOUR comment stating the 2.0 could keep up with the 1.5 and that the race would essentially come down to the driver of either car. Again YOU started that ridiculous argument and we were just trying to set you straight. Nobody's arguing about the feel of either engine, that's subjective and thats your opinion. We were arguing the objective part of your comment about both engines performance, more specifically their speeds when you made an OBJECTIVELY false statement about the 2.0's ability against the 1.5.
May wanna go back and re read the comment chain dude, I literally never said those things. I wasn't the one who said the 2.0 could keep up, I wasn't the one who said the 2.0 was faster, I wasn't the one who even talked about racing (IDGAF about racing). You're making arguments that aren't relevant to my comment and calling me out on things I never said. Perhaps go back and re read who wrote what lol.

Maybe you meant to reply to xcivicx.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
"Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline in Canada does not contain ethanol." Not so in the US.

Obviously, this will give any car up to 3% better gas mileage. However, ethanol gives some potential power benefits to turbo engines (which can be also used for gas savings), so overall, not having ethanol is not much of a bonus for a turbo engine.

lopcd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Lmao. I'm not, because I had the option of passing off my financing to a girl I know who was interested in it. Taking only a 1.5k hit or so. I 100 percent had this choice dude, allowing me to upgrade to an ext or a touring. I test drove the touring for like 3 hours in traffic, twisty roads, getting groceries, spirited runs. In the end, I felt myself missing my 2.0L. Sure, the car is faster. But the 2.0L feels great to drive, and in a world with speed limits a speeding tickets, faster doesn't automatically make an engine nicer to drive. Unless you feel that the only defining factor in a car is how fast you can race to the speed limit, without caring about linear throttle response or "input lag" or engine sound or VTEC.

Sure, I had second thoughts about "what if" I had gotten the EXT, I actually test drove the touring 3 times on 3 separate occasions just to be sure. Each time I got that same feeling of missing the feel of the 2.0L. I also tend to use engine braking on all big hills or when I wanna slow down a bit without making the person behind me think there's a problem infront of me, where the 1.5 has almost no engine braking capability next to the 2.0 (this is just a side note, aside from the nice-to-drive feeling)

I shouldn't have to justify the reasons I gave. I didn't type this on my phone just to hear myself talk or to force confirmation bias on myself. I have better things to do, and so do you. Don't believe me that I feel the NA is a more pleasant engine to drive? That's nice! Move on to another thread then.

I never said the 2.0l was faster, either. I even stated specifically that the 1.5 was faster.... As a side note To be honest I feel it's extremely annoying how turbo users tend to come into some of the few few 2.0L threads and hijack it to talk about how the 1.5 is faster. It's like, that's nice? This is a NA thread, go circlejerk in a turbo thread

Let's get this thread back on topic.
lol honestly you sound offended, I told you its a subjective topic, this is a forum where we discuss all things civic related, again it sounds to me like you're actually regretting your 2.0, you're using ad hominem attacks but I understand it's a coping mechanism for you to come to terms with your purchase, that's why you continuously justify yourself.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally couldn't justify getting a 1.5 because I needed a car that didn't get 10 MPG and kill my wallet....
Umm.....where are you seeing anything sub 25 MPG in a 1.5T? Car & Driver tests showed the 1.5T had an average of 6 MPG more than the 2.0 in speeds 30-90 MPH. In Fact, the 1.5T with CVT has the best overall MPG in the entire Civic line-up.

Sources:
Car & Driver 1.5T vs 2.0
Civic Fuel Economy List

I mean, I don't really have a bone to pick in this argument. Your car is yours and so is your choice. It doesn't affect me one bit. But I was curious about your 10 MPG comment. With my Si Tuned on E85, I'm still averaging 32 MPG while not necessarily being "conservative". :D

Last edited:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
I guess I must have started this. This was about the 2.0 being under rated. I took upon myself to use the 1.5 as a comparison as I had just traded my 2.0 for the lx hatch with the 1.5. While this was about 2 years ago, I still stand by my statements that the lowly 2.0 can suprise. Vs the base 1.5 . Difference is 15 hp 30 # tq. Tune a 2.0 and tell me you won't be real close to those numbers.
Please don't respond with "ya and tune the 1.5, taint bout that.
Damn so many SI owners taking offence, and it ain't even about the si.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tune a 2.0 and tell me you won't be real close to those numbers. Please don't respond with "ya and tune the 1.5...
If you can use the "Tune a 2.0 and it's close to 1.5" logic, then surely you can see why people would say "tune the 1.5 and see how much further it can go" logic. :p It's a roundabout that never ends brah.

As an Si owner, I'm just sitting here like....

Honda Civic 10th gen Any evidence that the 2.0 is detuned/overrated? wELDV8Zm

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
lol honestly you sound offended, I told you its a subjective topic, this is a forum where we discuss all things civic related, again it sounds to me like you're actually regretting your 2.0, you're using ad hominem attacks but I understand it's a coping mechanism for you to come to terms with your purchase, that's why you continuously justify yourself.
Please illustrate where I used aad-hominem. Honestly man, I corrected you for your mistake and re-emphasized my own situation that you childishly tried to invalidate.

You're deflecting the fact that you made a mistake by provoking an emotional response, doubling down on petty arguments instead of being a man and admitting that you responded to the wrong person and literally put words in.my mouth.

Why would I give a shit what you think or are assuming about me? You made a mistake, I clarified, that's the extent of what I did and what I'm going to do. If you feel better by believing that I'm somehow wrought with buyers remorse about a car, all the power to you dude

This isn't Reddit, yet you argue as if it is. You should probably stop posting in this thread as you're not contributing to discussion, only antagonizing people. Grow up.

Edit: ironically you're not the same person who I initially replied to, so there's the same situation here as before, but all my points still apply. Don't antagonize people.

Last edited:

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Uh bro.

May wanna go back and re read the comment chain dude, I literally never said those things. I wasn't the one who said the 2.0 could keep up, I wasn't the one who said the 2.0 was faster, I wasn't the one who even talked about racing (IDGAF about racing). You're making arguments that aren't relevant to my comment and calling me out on things I never said. Perhaps go back and re read who wrote what lol.

Maybe you meant to reply to xcivicx.
Yes I stand corrected that was indeed aimed at xcivicx, who for some reason is still delusional.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
So what Is the title of this thread. It surely isn't who would win. We already know who will win, duh
By the buy Its delusional to think you can't be beat. Engage in enough stupid contests and your certain to lose someday.

some xcivicx logic.
videos show civic turbo with cvt walking on a last gen si
all recent generations of si's have close 1/4 mile times. makes this a drivers race
the difference in spec's on the 2.0 and 1.5 are close enough.

kinda tells me that a 2.0 cvt has more than a snowballs chance vs a six speed. no..... not you in the si

Last edited:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Umm.....where are you seeing anything sub 25 MPG in a 1.5T? Car & Driver tests showed the 1.5T had an average of 6 MPG more than the 2.0 in speeds 30-90 MPH. In Fact, the 1.5T with CVT has the best overall MPG in the entire Civic line-up.

Sources:
Car & Driver 1.5T vs 2.0
Civic Fuel Economy List

I mean, I don't really have a bone to pick in this argument. Your car is yours and so is your choice. It doesn't affect me one bit. But I was curious about your 10 MPG comment. With my Si Tuned on E85, I'm still averaging 32 MPG while not necessarily being "conservative". :D
Bro I think you got the wrong idea lol. I wasnt saying the 1.5 gets 10 MPG, my other cars is a '15 BMW 550i that has a gas guzzling twin turbo V8 engine and its tuned right now making 500+ whp which just kills fuel economy more and it actually did get close to 10 MPG in city driving so I decided to get a Civic for when I work in D.C so I dont have to shell out for 93 octane all the time for a car that has atrocious city gas mileage. Also, I know the 1.5 has a bit better mileage but I was saying the 2.0 was good enough for me and still a massive improvement over the Bimmer.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bro I think you got the wrong idea lol. I wasnt saying the 1.5 gets 10 MPG, my other cars is a '15 BMW 550i that has a gas guzzling twin turbo V8 engine and its tuned right now making 500+ whp which just kills fuel economy more and it actually did get close to 10 MPG in city driving so I decided to get a Civic for when I work in D.C so I dont have to shell out for 93 octane all the time for a car that has atrocious city gas mileage. Also, I know the 1.5 has a bit better mileage but I was saying the 2.0 was good enough for me and still a massive improvement over the Bimmer.
That makes more sense. I figured you meant something other than the 1.5. Thanks for clarifying.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
some more xcivicx logic------it harder to get worse gas mileage in the 2.0 at least thats what i remember. i think i get as low as 20mpg city(in the 1.5). thats driving with total enjoyment from whats there. hold on boys this is a 2.0 thread.

lopcd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Please illustrate where I used aad-hominem. Honestly man, I corrected you for your mistake and re-emphasized my own situation that you childishly tried to invalidate.

You're deflecting the fact that you made a mistake by provoking an emotional response, doubling down on petty arguments instead of being a man and admitting that you responded to the wrong person and literally put words in.my mouth.

Why would I give a shit what you think or are assuming about me? You made a mistake, I clarified, that's the extent of what I did and what I'm going to do. If you feel better by believing that I'm somehow wrought with buyers remorse about a car, all the power to you dude

This isn't Reddit, yet you argue as if it is. You should probably stop posting in this thread as you're not contributing to discussion, only antagonizing people. Grow up.

Edit: ironically you're not the same person who I initially replied to, so there's the same situation here as before, but all my points still apply. Don't antagonize people.
I don't know what you're talking about, originally I told you it sounds like you're trying to justify your purchase to yourself, and I said all power to you for liking the 2.0, if you consider that to be antagonizing, I suggest you get your gf/wife/mom to jerk you off before you respond/post next time, you're starting to sound like a little bitch on this thread.
Sponsored