1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

Any CTR owners in Upstate NY?

Discussion in 'Tri-State -- NY, NJ, CT' started by davemarco, Oct 4, 2018.

1. davemarco Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic SI Coupe (White Orchid Pearl), 2001 Honda Prelude (Premium White Pearl)
    Hi all. I'm a current owner of a bolt on '17 SI with a tune. I'm strongly leaning towards trading it in for an '18 Type R, but I'm hesitating since I've never actually even sat in one. I wanted to reach out on here to see if there are any Type R owners in the Upstate NY area who might be willing to meet up for lunch on me and let me see what all of the Type R hype is about. You can take my modded SI for a spin if you'd like, if only to validate how awesome your car is. ;)

Anyone local to the 518 on here?

2. turboshawn

turboshawn Senior Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Car(s):
    87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
    Keep your Si nobodys really friendly on here if U lived close by I would let ya take it for the day.. every seems like hahaha I have a type r an u don’t... u ever been around snobby people who stick there nose up at u well u get the point bro....

3. OP

davemarco Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic SI Coupe (White Orchid Pearl), 2001 Honda Prelude (Premium White Pearl)
    It's ok, I get people not wanting others to drive their car. I appreciate your offer too - wish I was closer to take you up on it.

I seem to be going back and forth on the purchase every day. On the one hand, it would be amazing to have the power/performance/cool factor of owning a Type R. On the other hand, I got a great deal on my SI and my monthly payment is super low. I also get 36 mpg average combined while laying into the boost most of the time. I also have somewhere in the vicinity of 270-280 hp at the crank, with a decently fat power band and great handling.

The practical side of me knows that the SI makes perfect sense, and is a crazy good value for the great performance that I get out of it. On the other hand, I'm in a financial position where I really don't need to be limiting myself to $22K cars, and can afford the R and the gas. I'm hoping that a ride behind the wheel will either:

A) Make me realize how monumentally better the R is in all performance aspects, and make me realize that I have to have it

or

B) Make me realize that the performance gap between a stock R and a full bolt-on SI is small enough that it's not worth that extra $14K + tax + All season tires + wheels... etc.

4. geardown Member

First Name:
    garret
    Car(s):
    2018 type r
    I can’t believe you can’t find someone willing to help out??!! I’ve never understood the “no one drives my car but me”. I mean if someone likes cars as much as you do they are t going to beat it up right? The best part of ownership is sharing the fun IMO. If you are in N E Ohio let me know you can drive mine

davemarco thanked this.
  5. OP

davemarco Senior Member

Car(s):
    Thanks man. I appreciate the offer! I'll make sure to reach out if I'm ever over your way.

geardown thanked this.
  6. geardown Member

First Name:
    garret
    Car(s):
    2018 type r
    Sadly was in Lake Placid last weekend my daughter didn’t want to take the R because it doesn’t have a DVD player!! Would have been a fun drive up there

7. OP

davemarco Senior Member

Car(s):
    I'm curious, how easy do you find it to cruise in 6th in the R and maintain speed? On my '17 SI before KTuner, I found that the power in 6th was insufficient to maintain speed easily going up even a slight incline on the highway. Even after KTuner (which has added a substantial amount of power), the amount of pedal pressure that I need to exert to maintain cruising speed is enough to start wearing on me after an hour or two.

Maybe it's a 6-speed thing? My 5-speed Prelude was easy to cruise and maintain speed with in 5th.

8. iDerek2 Senior Member

Full-Time Drone
    First Name:
    Derek
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
    Garage Profiles:
    If all goes well in the next couple weeks, I'll shoot out to the 518. I go by Cobleskill, Albany all the time anyways

davemarco thanked this.
  9. geardown Member

First Name:
    garret
    Car(s):
    2018 type r
    I drove it post breakin to Bristol TN thru the WV turnpike and I don’t recall any power problems. However that was 1 month into ownership so I can’t say anything stuck out. It was all new at the time. I did drive it the track a few weeks ago and again nothing noticeable.

davemarco thanked this.
  10. OP

davemarco Senior Member

Car(s):
    Sweet. Let me know - offer stands at lunch/beer on me for a brief, respectful R test drive. :)