Any concerns about seat or wheel theft?

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
So, when I bought my first S2000 back in 2004 there was a lot of concern about the seats being stolen. So much so that somebody went to the trouble of having a company make "seat locks" which were basically just custom bolts with a special tool (very similar to wheel locks). Many of us then bought these seat locks and swapped out the regular hex bolts for them.

Is this a concern on the CTR? Do we need to be trying to protect our seats?

Also, more of a general question... any concerns about wheel theft and if so what have you found to be the best way to secure the wheels? It seems like the standard "wheel locks" that have been around forever aren't that effective but maybe it's the only thing we have to at least deter theft.
Sponsored

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
In Chicago I'd be more concerned with being SHOT! :D

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Probably more concern about airbag theft. If you search, there were multiple recent articles about people stealing the steering wheel airbags in 10th grade civics.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Now that you mention it, Type R seats would be sweet as man cave or video game seats

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Probably more concern about airbag theft. If you search, there were multiple recent articles about people stealing the steering wheel airbags in 10th grade civics.
Hmmm why airbags???

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Something about resale values on black market. Apparently shady repair places will buy them to install in cars and make a huge profit.
Wow while that makes sense I am still amazed and have never heard or thought about that. haha

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
@S2KGuy Yeah, I was worried about the seats too - I know a lot of my friends had their tops slashed. Simple enough to hammer some lead shot into the fasteners ... but at that point your doors/windows may already be broken.

However, I haven't seen any reports of seats stolen yet. I suspect that the hard top and door/hatch locks have something to do with that. (If a thief breaks a window and tries opening the door from 'inside' it still won't unlock.)

Wheel theft is everywhere. Locks won't stop a determined thief, but will make some thieves move on.

The popular item seems to be steering wheel airbags. I brought out my 1980's Club for that. (Again, a Club won't stop a determined thief, but for thiefs getting $10-$20 an airbag and hitting every CivicX in a parking lot ...)

OP
OP

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
@S2KGuy Yeah, I was worried about the seats too - I know a lot of my friends had their tops slashed. Simple enough to hammer some lead shot into the fasteners ... but at that point your doors/windows may already be broken.

However, I haven't seen any reports of seats stolen yet. I suspect that the hard top and door/hatch locks have something to do with that. (If a thief breaks a window and tries opening the door from 'inside' it still won't unlock.)

Wheel theft is everywhere. Locks won't stop a determined thief, but will make some thieves move on.

The popular item seems to be steering wheel airbags. I brought out my 1980's Club for that. (Again, a Club won't stop a determined thief, but for thiefs getting $10-$20 an airbag and hitting every CivicX in a parking lot ...)
Ahh, good point on the airbags. Maybe the Civic is more of a target in general since there are so many of them around and there's probably a strong demand for airbags for popular car models. I do remember a few years ago a friend of mine had his stolen twice from his apartment parking lot. Both times the thieves thoughtfully placed all of the screws in the center console and didn't damage anything else. I guess they wanted to make it easier for him to replace it so they could steal it again!

The Club is an interesting idea. I've seen them on a few cars recently in big cities and thought it was just making a comeback. Now it makes sense that it's not there to protect the car, it's just there to protect the airbag!

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
I haven't heard many reports of airbag theft, but I have on the wheels -_-

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I got the black wheel locks when I ordered the black wheel lugs from the UK. It won't stop a thief from stealing the wheels, but it will at least slow them down a little bit.
Sponsored