Any 2.0L owners wish they got the 1.5L Turbo?

billc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic, accord
Really going back and forth between getting the EX 2.0L or the EX 1.5T. Curious to hear from 2.0L owners whether they wish they would have gotten the Turbo instead? Any advice for prospective buyers? I'm leaning towards the 2.0L for long term lower maintenance but fear I may be missing out on a much better driving experience with the Turbo. Struggling with this choice. Thanks.
Sponsored

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Personally, I could have bought the ex with sensing in the color I want a month ago (and they're still to this day sitting at the dealer). But.... It's not just the turbo motor I want, but the T model also comes with xm, and heated seats.....two things I very much want in addition to a more fun engine to drive. I even had to change from my color choice from lunar silver to modern steel to get the model I want....and still don't have the car. Hopefully next week. PS, I'm also planning on keeping the car long term..... 300k miles like my current civic. Diesel trucks routinely get big mileage out of turbos, I don't see it being a huge problem.

dirkee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan with Sensing
After filling up my Ford Ranger far too often for 14 years I wanted a highly rated car with great gas mileage. The 2.0 works for me!

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
This past Friday I drove the 1.5T and was very surprised on how quick the car was. I driven the 2.0L a week prior and thought it was great compared to the 1.8 it replaced. If you have the extra cash and are a somewhat of a car guy get the 1.5t.
I Currently drive a 2014 Civic Si and the 1.5t surprised me and that says alot.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
I'm very happy with my 2.0

mechatune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.slow
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wanted a cheap, stylish (for now) and dependable car to perhaps keep for years to come. I'm not about to buy a new Honda turbo engine in its first year. If it were a VW, that'd be a different story.

deevel79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord Sport
Was contemplating with one to go with myself and I think I'm going to settle on the n/a 2.0. If Honda offered the 1.5 turbo with a different tranny (dual clutch auto or 6-speed manual) I would've considered it. Any benefits of the added turbo gets negated by the power robbing cvt. I'm actually still on the fence between the '16 Civic and the '16 Mazda 3 with the 2.5 packing 184hp/185lb ft tq.

civicryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus ST . 2015 Honda CRV EX
i'm sure the 2.0 will work completely fine for most buyers. .... i am coming from a 1.6 liter turbo ford fusion, so i need to keep the turbo in my power/fuel economy mix. :)

Sharkboy242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Personally, I could have bought the ex with sensing in the color I want a month ago (and they're still to this day sitting at the dealer). But.... It's not just the turbo motor I want, but the T model also comes with xm, and heated seats.....two things I very much want in addition to a more fun engine to drive. I even had to change from my color choice from lunar silver to modern steel to get the model I want....and still don't have the car. Hopefully next week. PS, I'm also planning on keeping the car long term..... 300k miles like my current civic. Diesel trucks routinely get big mileage out of turbos, I don't see it being a huge problem.
I waited for a lunar silver EX-T also. It didn't happen until the 7th but I'm glad I waited (The dealers has a lot of EXs but no turbo models). Good luck thought I know its a crappy experience trying to wait for the right car.

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went through the lot tonight seeing if it came in.....it did! Or so I thought. Either an identical EX-T without sensing came in, or mine came without sensing. Shall see. I am not going to wait much longer, will find the best deal on a touring and fly out and drive it home if necessary.

HondaXmsm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
I currently have the 1.8 in my 2013 Civic. I was thinking about the 2.0 but after driving the 1.5 turbo, that is the one I will be getting. It was just so much more exciting to drive then my current car. I am sure the 2.0 would be fine but when you want the extra power the turbo is nice. The EX-T in modern steel metallic will be the one I get once better lease deals come out.

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drive high powered V8 race cars for a hobby, so comparatively these all pretty much feel like turds....I think I am desensitized or something. My current daily driver is an 8th gen 1.8, and honestly I didn't feel a lot of difference between it and the 2.0 (though I may have had it in econ mode if that actually makes a difference you can feel). Hoping the 1.5t has at least enough to put a smile on your face, haven't driven one yet.

Careener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang | 2016 Civic LX manual
I drove both and they both great engines. I wanted a manual transmission so bought a 2l lx. I find the driving experience more engaging than the 1.5t cvt but it is definitely slower.

edwanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Vehicle Showcase
I'm really happy I got the ex-t because when you put it on sport mode you can really feel the power, and it's easy to pass other cars, it has been a really fun experience, me and my wife test drive the 2.0 but once we drive the 1.5 T we couldn't just get the 2.0 and the heated seats is a plus.

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
After filling up my Ford Ranger far too often for 14 years I wanted a highly rated car with great gas mileage. The 2.0 works for me!
Yep same here, I'm coming from an old 2003 Hyundai that got pretty crap mileage due to the engine just being run down and not well maintained over the years - this is amazing having near 40 mpg average.
Sponsored