Another motor gonna blow soon?

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The homie George at Juju Built called me and said one of his friends has the same sputters and misfires at high boost like I had before I blew my engine.. oh boy.. we need to figure out why those sputters at high boost are happening. I couldn’t give him any valuable information other than to go to a tuner and make sure his AF ratios and fuel trims were on point. Anyone have advice o can give him? We’re gonna meet over at Driver B’s dyno someday.
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It's probably his rods starting to give. From what I have seen from the blown engines I have seen, if running boost above 25 to 27 psi, the engines internals should be built with stronger components

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The homie George at Juju Built called me and said one of his friends has the same sputters and misfires at high boost like I had before I blew my engine.. oh boy.. we need to figure out why those sputters at high boost are happening. I couldn’t give him any valuable information other than to go to a tuner and make sure his AF ratios and fuel trims were on point. Anyone have advice o can give him? We’re gonna meet over at Driver B’s dyno someday.
Check and change all Coil packs / plugs.

OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
maybe keep the car stock, and you wouldn't be having these issues? :doh:
Well my car is stock but his is tuned and has e85 and all. But he called to ask me
What I found out from my blown engine but really there’s nothing to tell

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Sputters at high RPM/Boost during pulls doesn't mean his engine is going to blow.

It is more likely that he has a Fuel or Ignition problem, of which, if left unresolved, can cause engine failure.

1. Pull Spark plugs, check condition.
2. Check coolant level
3. Hows his idle? Does it stutter on start up, or sound like a Subaru?
4. Does he live in a colder climate?
5. Hows his duty cycle, fuel trims?
6. Mileage on vehicle?

I had a similar issue that just cropped up on me. Bolt on, E37 tune. After the above checked out, I reduced the gap on the plug (NGK Iridium - OEM plugs - Come pregapped at .30)

Due to my set up, and colder Midwest climate, I reduced my plug gap to .25, and problem went away. I still ended up replacing the plugs, since they ran at the OEM gap level for some time. And had some build up on the plugs.

(Shout out to D-Rob for the help)

Last edited:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
I hazzard to say, that , that was a rod bending. Feel free to name it now.......
Maybe back to factory, lay off the gas for as long as possible, then see if she blows under stock conditions.

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Here are some pics of my plugs at 28k. E37 with bolt ons.

Honda Civic 10th gen Another motor gonna blow soon? 20191027_150440

Honda Civic 10th gen Another motor gonna blow soon? 20191027_150431

Honda Civic 10th gen Another motor gonna blow soon? 20191027_150419

Honda Civic 10th gen Another motor gonna blow soon? 20191027_150408

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
One thing I've noticed the community doesn't actively talk about is fueling. In the Mazda community, the HPFP was a limiting factor and replaced very early in the mod path. My understanding with the Si's fueling is that there's quite a bit of overhead. But something worth monitoring if not already.

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, we've seen a few failing injectors on our modded 10th Gens. Not sure if there's a correlation here either. :dunno:

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
One thing I've noticed the community doesn't actively talk about is fueling. In the Mazda community, the HPFP was a limiting factor and replaced very early in the mod path. My understanding with the Si's fueling is that there's quite a bit of overhead. But something worth monitoring if not already.

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, we've seen a few failing injectors on our modded 10th Gens. Not sure if there's a correlation here either. :dunno:
Absolutely could be a correlation. Im sure this guys knock count (misfire count) is through the roof. Id say a more likely cause is plugs, or injectors.

Worst case, head gasket leaking coolant from the increased torque down low

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
People dont realize with a tune the car requires more care. Checking spark plugs every other month or so. Doing oil changes periodically. You gotta pay to play.
Or build the engine with better internals like @kshawn is doing

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Sputters at high RPM/Boost during pulls doesn't mean his engine is going to blow.

It is more likely that he has a Fuel or Ignition problem, of which, if left unresolved, can cause engine failure.

1. Pull Spark plugs, check condition.
2. Check coolant level
3. Hows his idle? Does it stutter on start up, or sound like a Subaru?
4. Does he live in a colder climate?
5. Hows his duty cycle, fuel trims?
6. Mileage on vehicle?

I had a similar issue that just cropped up on me. Bolt on, E37 tune. After the above checked out, I reduced the gap on the plug (NGK Iridium - OEM plugs - Come pregapped at .30)

Due to my set up, and colder Midwest climate, I reduced my plug gap to .25, and problem went away. I still ended up replacing the plugs, since they ran at the OEM gap level for some time. And had some build up on the plugs.

(Shout out to D-Rob for the help)
He 100% most likely needs to close the gap. Some see misfires pretty soon on the stock gap. PRL has a nice thread up about gapping the plugs.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Best advice you could of gave him tb

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag