Another goodbuy thread :(

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
So after ~2 years of ownership, the Civic is gone and replaced with a 2018 VW Tiguan.

Reasons for selling were that I got married somewhere in between and needed a bigger car - the Civic could fit most things, but there was never ample room for anything larger. A few rounds of playing Tetris in the Ikea parking lot kinda solidified the transition.

Also, on two separate occasions 4 months apart, 80+ year old women driving Hyundais drove head-on into my front, requiring 2 bumper replacements and change, resulting in 2 claims on the car through no fault of my own. This diminished my affection for the car greatly.

We didn't go for the CR-V even though it would have been financially cheaper, largely because both the wife and I hated the front end. Also the interior was way too similar to the Civic, and we both wanted a change.

Pros of the Civic:
- The engine. the 1.5T is a gem of a powerplant, even with the CVT. It had pep and great fuel economy, and will be greatly missed. Even with the small CVT lag, I still prefer it to the VW's 2.0T w/ 8-speed.
- Far more sportier driving dynamics; I realize sedan vs SUV, but still. It was more fun to drive.
- Interior ergonomics. Maybe I've just gotten used to it, but so far, I still think the Civic was more comfortable to operate; It could just be that I had 4 other Hondas prior to, so maybe that's why.
- It's easier to work on; European cars are ALL computers, far more so than the Asian brands. A big example of this is that there's no fusemap anywhere in the car, or the manual. It's dealer service department only. Honda uses standard screws and bolts; VW uses stupid proprietary fasteners and Torx screws.

Pros of the Tiguan:
- It feels a lot more solidly built. The sound of closing the doors, the hood, to fit/finish, the VW feels far superior. The hood/roof don't buckle now when washing.
- The pano-sunroof is absolutely massive. It hasn't gotten hot yet, so we'll see how that works out, but aesthetically it's quite pleasing.
- The rain-sensing wipers actually work. This was huge, especially up here in Raincouver.
- Far quieter on highways. While the Civic's NVH was good, the VW's is better.
- Volume knob, and far easier to use climate control. I HATED waiting 2 seconds after pressing "climate" to be able to turn down fan speed.
- Tech seems more refined. No lags, driver assistance aids all work well, in a distinctly German way.
- Subwoofer doesn't rattle the entire trunk :p, and there's a light in the glovebox :p.

Styling borders on boring, but I still like it, it feels a bit more mature.
Reliability is the big unknown here, especially considering all the tech. Thankfully standard warranty is longer than Honda's, and if I see signs of trouble early on, we'll get rid of it and come back to Honda :)

I've been at this site since its early days, and it's been an absolute pleasure. While I was admittedly a bit of a dick in some posts, I hope I was able to help fellow members. I'll still come by once in a while to keep up!

Shoutout to OG members, as well as people like SteveGG and various trolls who made my time here extra-fun.

Honda Civic 10th gen Another goodbuy thread :( hDw5r4C

Honda Civic 10th gen Another goodbuy thread :( wgfBRg6

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Turn the frown upside down because it's good buy not goodbye.

Did you look at the Hatchback, or other SUVs like Rav 4, CX-5, Tucson, etc. before going with the Tiguan?

OP
OP

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Turn the frown upside down because it's good buy not goodbye.

Did you look at the Hatchback, or other SUVs like Rav 4, CX-5, Tucson, etc. before going with the Tiguan?
I just noticed that...will keep for fun lol.

I didn't want a Toyota, the CX-5 was very small, and because I'm Korean, didn't really want anything Korean :p We did shop around though.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
After those incidents I guess you're not a fan of Hyundais or 80+ year old women. :)

Also, good writeup on the pros of the Civic.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good luck. I always enjoyed your posts!

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Hatchback =/= wagon. Civic Sport being the exception, most hatchbacks offer very little space advantage over sedans. With seats up, you only see the benefits when you carry ferns. Actual wagons aren't popular in North America, and they have been replaced by CUVs.

I hate certain CUVs (Toyota CHR, Mazda CX-3) for the reasons you mentioned, but you can't deny the appeal of other crossover vehicles: visibility, affordable AWD option, decent fuel economy (slightly worse than sedans/hatchbacks but still better than midsize/full size SUV), and in some cases, cargo flexibility.

Besides, the rising popularity of CUVs would mean cheaper sedans :D

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
OP hope you enjoy your new ride :thumbsup:

Maybe one day you’ll be back in a Honda.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Surprised you didn't like the CRV. Someone I know got one not too long ago. It's pretty bread and butter, nothing too wild, but drives good and is a safe bet in terms of reliability and resale. There's quite a bit of space inside. I'm still shocked at how large the new CRV is compared to the old ones 10 yrs ago. Personally it's too large for me, but it's a good and comfortable for carrying many people. If I bought a SUV that would be the one I'd get.

Not a fan of the RAV 4 or Highlander.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Just drop that thing when the Warranty ends.

Other than that, enjoy!!

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
There has to be a reason it's all the wayyyyy at the bottom of 2017 YTD sales.. If the Patriot out sells it there has to be a problem.
Rav4 407,594 +16.1%
Rogue 403,465 +22.3%
CR-V 377,895 +6.1%
Escape 308,296 +.4%
Equinox 290,458 +19.9%
Forester 177,563 -.6%
Cherokee 169,882 -15%
CX5 127,563 +13.7%
Tucson 114,735
Journey 89,470 -16%
Terrain 85,441 -2.8%
Compass 83,253 -11%
Sportage 72,824
Patriot 40,735 -67%
OutLander Sport 33,160
Tiguan 21,023

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
There has to be a reason it's all the wayyyyy at the bottom of 2017 YTD sales.. If the Patriot out sells it there has to be a problem.
Rav4 407,594 +16.1%
Rogue 403,465 +22.3%
CR-V 377,895 +6.1%
Escape 308,296 +.4%
Equinox 290,458 +19.9%
Forester 177,563 -.6%
Cherokee 169,882 -15%
CX5 127,563 +13.7%
Tucson 114,735
Journey 89,470 -16%
Terrain 85,441 -2.8%
Compass 83,253 -11%
Sportage 72,824
Patriot 40,735 -67%
OutLander Sport 33,160
Tiguan 21,023
The cars toward the bottom of the list are less reliable than the ones at the top. Not a big surprise as VW/Mitsubishi/FCA have horrible reliability. Even with the longer warranty, I don't want my car breaking down with stupid issues and have it in the shop. There's a reason why Toyota/Honda usually sell more vehicles, even if they're not the most exciting vehicles (it's not like a Tiguan is exciting).

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Many factors there. VW's reputation after their scandal. Reliability, value, cost of ownership compared to the top 5 on that list.
Good points but getting beat by a outlander sport is down right sad.
Sponsored