Android auto....

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Few questions on here, I am a bit behind the times.

Android auto - Is gmail an app that can be used? I use my car for work, and have to write reports.....which I have lately been doing rough drafts through voice to text to my gmail. If I cannot use gmail on android auto, is there an app I COULD use to be able to save voice to text dictations while driving?

-No facebook messenger? I realize this could be viewed as a distraction, but no more than reading your texts to you like the android auto does.

-Will this unit be something we will be able to do software upgrades to via a download or SD card?

-I read somewhere that the Honda systems broadcast your wifi signal from your phone in the car. True?

-Are there third party apps that can be installed/updated to allow more uses on the android auto system? Meaning, allowing the use of more apps and functions that your phone already has on the android auto system.

-Using Google maps on the android auto - I travel lots for work, and am in areas that cell service completely drops out at times. I have a Samsung Note 4 currently. I have read that phones nowadays have GPS locators in them. However, I am still unclear....if I am in an area with no service will I lose my "navigation" via google maps? Will using this be a constant data transfer drain on my cell account?

Whew.....thanks guys!
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
No Gmail or Messenger in the car. Too distracting to be optimized for a driving app. You could probably send yourself a memo through Google Now.

Unit will most likely receive updates (if any) over USB.

Not sure how the WiFi works in this iteration. Either for data transfer between the HU and phone, or as a receiver for devices to connect to a cellular network (similar to hotspot).

All apps must be approved by Google or Apple in order to be used as part of the driving suite. And it's not a simple flip of a switch. BT control, forced landscape mode, etc all have to be configured to work on Honda's 7" screen (or any other unit for that matter).

Most modern GPS apps download the route in advance, assuming you've plugged in a destination. So if you travel outside a coverage area, it's possible for the GPS antenna to still function in open areas.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, sorry I posted this in the wrong forum. I wasn't even aware the audio forum existed. Reading the audio interface mega-thread has me considering canceling my EX-T order and just getting a LX.

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Android auto is an app, it runs on your phone totally - the screen on your phone is disabled when it is on and you are using the cars screen. All updates are done on the phone, you want a new app that you know is supported? Download it on your phone. Go to the google play store and download the android auto app, you do have to have a phone running android 5.0 or newer. There is really no updating to do at all on Hondas part for Android Auto or CarPlay, this would be handled on the phone side of things. So far most complaints are on the CarPlay side, so it seems Apple still has some work to do as the problems reported are across multiple car brands. Bad form Apple, but amusing to see regardless!

Any app can apply to be available on android auto or carplay, but Apple and Google are being very selective in what they approve so we will see how long it takes them to expand the app selection. I want Waze badly, it's a GPS app for crying out loud and Google OWNS it but there is still no android auto version. Seems silly.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I wouldn't let the bugs scare you. Most seem to be triggered when connecting/disconnecting to Android Auto or Apply Carplay. Bluetooth, USB and HD radio seem to work fine when not disrupted by the former activities. Regardless, some are reporting the HU firmware is based on Android 4.x. If true, that's an easy platform to tweak/update (either through Honda or third party).

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
There is really no updating to do at all on Hondas part for Android Auto or CarPlay, this would be handled on the phone side of things.
There may be HU future firmware updates based on the issues we're seeing now. I imagine Honda would flash over USB or WiFi (if enabled).

But to your point, all apps and related functionality are indeed facilitated through the phone. :cool:

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The scare of the head unit going toes up and losing HVAC operation in addition to the audio interface is troubling. My current civic is an 07 with 300k on the clock, and I expect to do the same with the next car. Not terribly confidence inspiring as I will be out of warranty in the first 6-12 months.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
There appear to be redundant HVAC controls below the HU for that very reason. I haven't sat in the EX/Touring trim to confirm (yet) but all photos seem to support it.

EDIT: 300K? I'd probably stick with the proven tech in the 2.0 myself. Not to say the 1.5T won't be reliable; but there are a lot of "firsts" for Honda in that motor.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really considered the 2.0, but the other extras that came with the T model (sirius, heated seats) seemed like it would make it very worthwhile. Bad thing is, they have an LX and and EX in stock with the options I otherwise wanted....

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
No Gmail or Messenger in the car. Too distracting to be optimized for a driving app. You could probably send yourself a memo through Google Now.

Not sure how the WiFi works in this iteration. Either for data transfer between the HU and phone, or as a receiver for devices to connect to a cellular network (similar to hotspot).
Apple and Google don't want, legally, to be the ones who enable people to play Candy Crush from the buttons on the steering wheel. I can see their point. If it was possible some drivers would surely do it.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the car has its own cellular capability or can operate its WiFi as an access point. I think the WiFi is in the Civic with the expectation of using your device configured as a hotspot to get to the interwebs.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Apple and Google don't want, legally, to be the ones who enable people to play Candy Crush from the buttons on the steering wheel. I can see their point. If it was possible some drivers would surely do it.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the car has its own cellular capability or can operate its WiFi as an access point. I think the WiFi is in the Civic with the expectation of using your device configured as a hotspot to get to the interwebs.
Android auto is an app, it runs on your phone totally - the screen on your phone is disabled when it is on and you are using the cars screen. All updates are done on the phone, you want a new app that you know is supported? Download it on your phone. Go to the google play store and download the android auto app, you do have to have a phone running android 5.0 or newer. There is really no updating to do at all on Hondas part for Android Auto or CarPlay, this would be handled on the phone side of things. So far most complaints are on the CarPlay side, so it seems Apple still has some work to do as the problems reported are across multiple car brands. Bad form Apple, but amusing to see regardless!

Any app can apply to be available on android auto or carplay, but Apple and Google are being very selective in what they approve so we will see how long it takes them to expand the app selection. I want Waze badly, it's a GPS app for crying out loud and Google OWNS it but there is still no android auto version. Seems silly.
CarPlay itself is fine.
How it integrates into this particular head unit isn't.
But android users are pretty protective and like to get any dig in at Apple they can.

But have a galaxy s6 from work and it's mostly the same crap.
Wanted to just leave it in the car always connected but it wasn't terribly reliable.
Plus the audio quality is just terrible, which was the real deal breaker for that dream.

Android Auto is only a year old though, if that. It's not surprising is fairly meh.
I'm still trying to puzzle out how they pushed to market so quickly.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The tech had been available to the public since 2011. And all versions follow the same protocol using Bluetooth and screen mirroring. Apple indeed has executed better on the standard. But the advantage with Android is simultaneous Bluetooth streaming while facilitating touch protocols between the HU/handset. Apple will eventually have to follow suit if they ever plan to do wireless mirroring over WiFi direct.

In general, the standard works best when it senses the Bluetooth connection first. Once the wireless transfer completes, then try connecting the cable to the handset.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Also, I'm surprised to hear so many people having issues with audio quality. I might suggest tweaking the output settings (I believe in the accessibility menu) to see if things improve. Mine did when I changed output to "surround."

Another trick is to connect/disconnect the audio jack. Not sure why, but it's been reported to improve the SQ once reconnected to MHL/USB.

YMMV.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
The tech had been available to the public since 2011. And all versions follow the same protocol using Bluetooth and screen mirroring. Apple indeed has executed better on the standard. But the advantage with Android is simultaneous Bluetooth streaming while facilitating touch protocols between the HU/handset. Apple will eventually have to follow suit if they ever plan to do wireless mirroring over WiFi direct.

In general, the standard works best when it senses the Bluetooth connection first. Once the wireless transfer completes, then try connecting the cable to the handset.
Yes the increased control has the potential to be nicer.
It's just not really used currently.
I think it automatically configured itself to use the S6 as a hotspot but all that really netted me was the ability to use the car's random built in web browser that exsists for .... reasons.
Sponsored