Android Auto Wireless projection

droidkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Looks like google is about to update the Android Auto App to support wireless projection. This would be great for when you have multiple stops to make and you don't have to keep un-plugging and plugging your phone back in.

Looks like its using WIFI to do it. The 10th gen civics seem to have WIFI built in to them wonder if this will work or will we have to wait forever(never) for honda to update the head unit.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...launch-wi-fi-projection-support-apk-teardown/
Sponsored

lyndean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Don't think it will work with our cars. Google actually announced several months ago that this feature was coming, but said it would only work for supported head units. It made it sound like it was something that had to have been built in to the head unit and not upgradeable. I think if it were to work with existing equipment, it would need to be in a vehicle that has a wi-fi hotspot, which Civics don't have. I'm just speculating though.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5D Elegance Navi MT 1.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As the Honda head unit is basically WiFi-capable (software updatabale over WiFi), I hope a future update would add the OTA Android Auto capability...

grahaman27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T
Country flag
Don't EVER expect an official update to wireless AA.

Although, we might be able to "hack" it to work in the future. Once your phone supports it (Android P or whatever), then maybe we could modify the head unit to allow it. Anything is possible.

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know this is an outdated post but with the new Android 11 wireless connectivity is now a thing. Has any tried to get AA working on a 10th Gen Civic without the cable yet, does it work, what is needed?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
FWIW - I did get this working, technically. It would establish the connection, I could use maps. But I would get disconnects randomly, and more frequently when streaming media. Nice idea, and maybe they will improve it. But I just ordered an iPhone 12 Pro Max, trading in my S9+ for a $440 bill credit with Verizon. Keeping my Pixel 4XL just in case I need something from Android.

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
FWIW - I did get this working, technically. It would establish the connection, I could use maps. But I would get disconnects randomly, and more frequently when streaming media. Nice idea, and maybe they will improve it. But I just ordered an iPhone 12 Pro Max, trading in my S9+ for a $440 bill credit with Verizon. Keeping my Pixel 4XL just in case I need something from Android.
can you explain a little bit the process to do this please?

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
can you explain a little bit the process to do this please?
Guessing here: The headunits have both WiFi and Bluetooth, so theoretically, Android Auto should work with the hardware already in existence so long as Honda's Android Developers recompile the OS with needed upgrades/edits/cherry-pickings. The difficult issue I see is that the wireless Android Auto additions Google integrated into the Android 11 is meant for that: Android 11 (R), not the Android 4.2 (Jellybean). Yes, there could possibly be an update but to backport a feature that was designed so many systems later, is a massive deal of cherry pickings that isn't likely to happen. On top of that, Honda's (and other car mfgrs) source repo's aren't exactly available, PLUS they don't even allow app access without Administrative access (Rooting/HondaHack) or there'd already be a bunch of custom ROMs for these new cars. Just my $0.02..

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
you install apps on both the phone and on the headunit. They establish a connection. You aren't running native android auto so much as you are running an emulator which can pass data through the headunit as if it was Android Auto. The project is on XDA developer forums.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ge...ndroid-4-1-headunit-reloaded-android-t3432348

get yourself some coffee, the thread is over 500 pages long.