Android Auto volume issues (since Android Pie?)

psuwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX, '15 CR-V EX
I have an '18 Civic EX hatch and a Pixel XL phone with the Android Pie upgrade installed a couple months ago. I can't say for certain, but the timing of the upgrade seems to coincide with a rather annoying issue I'm now having with the volume control on my infotainment system. Seems that when Android Auto is active on the screen for navigation, but I'm listening to music on a different source (usually USB), at some point the volume controls stop working to raise/lower the music volume and instead control the navigation volume (at least I think that's what's happening since the volume level now only goes from 0 to 11 and has no effect on the music). If I need to change the music volume, I have to disconnect the cable from the phone, change the music level, then plug the phone back in. After initially plugging the phone in, everything seems to work correctly for a short while, then it stops working again. This never happened until recently. Anyone else have this issue or (hopefully) know how to resolve it? It's rather difficult to deal with it the way it is. I can live with most of the quirks of the system, but when I need to do something as fundamental as changing the volume and it doesn't work, then I'm rather upset. Thanks!
Sponsored

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
That happened to me yesterday on apple car play bro, whenever screen would be on the car thought it was saying commands so top volume was 11. i reset my head unit by long pressing the power button on the top left until it gives option to reboot, click reboot or yes and then it should work once it comes back up. it hasn't happened to me since the reboot

hope that helps and congrats on new car!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's been happening to me too the past weekend. It must have been a server-side push for AA, I've had Pie on my Pixel for about a month, and the issue hadn't happened until this weekend. Annoying, but I've noticed that when Waze "beeped" for a speed alert was when the volume controls got stuck in nav vs. music.

You can hold the voice button for a few seconds to trigger Google Assistant, then hit the back button for a quick fix.

OP
OP

psuwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Royalz_2o9 : Thanks, I did try the reboot, which fixes the issue temporarily - until I go into Navigation mode again, then it's stuck again. :-( It's definitely related to Nav mode. If I just open Google Maps, but don't have it navigating me anywhere, the volume works. As soon as I tell it to take me somewhere and she starts talking, it breaks.

@Billy4202 : Thanks, I will try your workaround on my way home tonight. I was playing around with different things this morning, trying to figure out some sort of trick to make it switch back, but no luck. I tried things like switching to AA and firing up Spotify or iHeartRadio, switching out of AA and back to showing the Audio screen, switching to different sources, even unplugging my USB flash drive with my music. Nothing worked. If your trick works, I can live with that for now until they fix it (hopefully someone at Google is aware of it, if it's on their end).

OP
OP

psuwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a quick follow up... I tried the voice activation trick and it does work, however, only until the navigation voice says something again. Still, it's good in a pinch when I need to quickly change the volume. Thanks again. If anyone comes across a more permanent fix, please let me know.

C0pyCatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
The exact same thing has happened to me. I have a 2017 Ridgeline and a Pixel 2XL. I noticed my phone acting quirky shortly after the upgrade to Android 9. I began losing connection when connected to my Ridgeline and strange behavior any time the Pixel accessed the Ridgeline's audio/microphone. I am an IT Manager for my company and we manage mobile devices so I reached out to our Verizon rep and told him I was having a strange issue so he had tech support send me out a replacement phone. The replacemen Pixel 2 XL came with Android 8.1 (Oreo). i was able to copy everything over to it from my P2XL with Pie (Android 9) and all worked without a problem. I then reset the Pixel 2XL w Android 9 an Copied everything back, the sound issue happens on the P2XL with Android 9 but not the P2XL with Android 8.1 so I believe the issue is definitely with the OS upgrade so for now I will just have to keep my replacement Pixel 2XL at Android 8.1. Kind of sucks considering Google claims the Pixel is the "Primo" Vanillia Android experience but also makes you their beta testing guinea pig... If anyone has any idea on how to get to Android 9 and not have this issue do tell. It's rather annoying.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welp - not just us, affecting multiple makes/models -

OP
OP

psuwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I came across this forum as well on the google support page:

https://support.google.com/androidauto/forum/AAAA6SY52nIe7N4Eym8OX0?hl=en

I tried rolling back to the previous version of AA (3.5.x) and it did not help. So I don't think it's the AA app itself. Probably something else that made its way into the Oct security update? Anyway, we're definitely not alone in this. Let's hope there's enough pressure to get Google to fix it soon.

C0pyCatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Yeah, I came across this forum as well on the google support page:

https://support.google.com/androidauto/forum/AAAA6SY52nIe7N4Eym8OX0?hl=en

I tried rolling back to the previous version of AA (3.5.x) and it did not help. So I don't think it's the AA app itself. Probably something else that made its way into the Oct security update? Anyway, we're definitely not alone in this. Let's hope there's enough pressure to get Google to fix it soon.
I believe it's the Pie update, not AA. At least in my situation I was able to clearly prove Oreo worked and Pie didn't.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I believe it's the Pie update, not AA. At least in my situation I was able to clearly prove Oreo worked and Pie didn't.
Sometimes, the LATEST is NOT the GREATEST. :banghead:

Especially true with early adopters of an OS update.:coffee:

High risk that existing app that worked fine on an older OS, MAY have issues with a newer OS.
Hopefully if this is the case, the APP developer is still active, and can update their App to work with the later OS.

Example: For the last 6 months (at least) the "Old" version of AA on the Google Play store, won't even install on my Oreo (Android 8) head unit. I had to go find a later Oreo compatible version on another APK DOWNLOAD site.

It least the Google Play Store does not try to Update/DownDate my working AA to the non-working one (at least for me and my HU) that is currently on the Google Play Store !!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...why does Google always screw stuff up lol. Far from the first time, certainly not the last...

ctash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring - Aegean Blue (delivered 12/23/2015)
Country flag
Glad to know it's not just me! First gen pixel w/Android pie. Burn.

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
I just noticed this yesterday when my wife was trying to change the volume and getting super frustrated. Did a search and glad I saw this thread and that it is not just me. Keeping my fingers crossed the Nov update fixes this as well.
Sponsored