Android Auto Connection

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Samsung Galaxy S8 - why do I have to switch the phone from "USB charging" to "System Update" before Android Auto will be recognized by my Civic (17 Touring)? Been looking for an answer for this for 3 years and the Stealership is of no help. They say it's a phone thing. Funny thing is is that the Chrysler 300S at work recognizes my phone every time I plug it in...go figure huh? The head unit in this car is a JOKE! Slow as molasses in January and buggy. Looking for some help on this please. I just updated my phone and all works well for now but that seems to change in an instant with my phone and the Honda head unit. At this time I just need to know why I have to switch it to "System Update" before Android Auto will be seen on the screen. TIA
Sponsored

jorus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Samsung Galaxy S8 - why do I have to switch the phone from "USB charging" to "System Update" before Android Auto will be recognized by my Civic (17 Touring)? Been looking for an answer for this for 3 years and the Stealership is of no help. They say it's a phone thing. Funny thing is is that the Chrysler 300S at work recognizes my phone every time I plug it in...go figure huh? The head unit in this car is a JOKE! Slow as molasses in January and buggy. Looking for some help on this please. I just updated my phone and all works well for now but that seems to change in an instant with my phone and the Honda head unit. At this time I just need to know why I have to switch it to "System Update" before Android Auto will be seen on the screen. TIA

Weird - have you tried using different cables for your connection?

What version of Android do you have? I wonder if the issue is an incompatability with an older version of Android. Sometimes your cell provider can update your phone, but often a new phone is the only way to actually get a fully updated version of Android on a phone (easily) for the average consumer.

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
For me, I have to use a branded charger, in my case a OnePlus cable, and change my USB most to tethering. In the past, it used to work with other cables, but over time it stopped. Even with the branded cable, it sometimes doesn't work

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I had a similar issue where the system wouldn't recognize my phone at all. Replaced my charge cable to a decent one and everything worked perfectly. Have you tried using a different cable?

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Also, the AmazonBasics branded cables are of high quality. I currently use for Android Auto in my Civic and I have used that brand for chargers all solid. I have a Google Pixel phone.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I think I vaguely recall having to set it from Charge Only to like a Data mode on my S9+ the first time, but haven't had to do it since, you definitely shouldn't need to do it every time you plug up, that sounds like the phone not keeping persistent settings, is the phone Rooted?

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Some USB cables are made for charging only. Make sure you're using one good for data too.

OP
OP

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm using an OEM Samsung cable, but I've tried several cables (Anker and others) to no avail. The phone is not rooted. Android Auto is the latest version downloaded from the Playstore as of Tuesday and the dealership just updated the firmware this past Monday (or so they said). I've never been able to get the phone to connect automatically without selecting "System Update". Its the craziest thing that is quite maddening. Its a pain to have to have to swipe down, select the the USB charging mode, then select System Update. Its probably a phone setting but I can't seem to find a solution to it...I know...first world problems... :) Thank you all again for the replies.
Sponsored