Android Auto causing phone to restart

cstephens79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, 2016 Kia Sorento SX
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my car over a year now and have used Android Auto every time I get in the car. I'm using a Nexus 6. Whether it's a short trip to the store or to work or trips. I haven't had any problems with it until last week. It takes forever for the screen to come up and only shows the time on the main screen. It used to show my recent calls/recent places/music etc. When I go to another app (maps, music) this is where the trouble is. The screen goes black and the phone restarts. I've tried several different cables even one from my wife's Sorento that is working fine. I've since restored my phone and reset the infotainment system to factory defaults and still having the issue. I know there have been known issues with the system, but this is the first time I've noticed anything in my car. I've searched the forums and haven't found anything that resembles this issue. Anyone else noticed anything similar recently?
Sponsored

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Try downloading an older version of android auto. Always turn auto update off from playstore, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

OP
OP
cstephens79

cstephens79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I usually keep auto update off but tend to update routinely.

Dimon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L (16), Civic Ex (06), Sienna SE (12), Lexus GS350 (15)
Country flag
Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I usually keep auto update off but tend to update routinely.
Were you able to resolve the issue? I'm having the same problems between 2016 civic and nexus 6 ever since the AA was updated around 3 weeks ago. Will have to wait for the Google to fix the problem as reverting back to the previous version of AA using third party APK 'mirrors' is a bad idea due to the security/ malware concerns.

OP
OP
cstephens79

cstephens79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Were you able to resolve the issue? I'm having the same problems between 2016 civic and nexus 6 ever since the AA was updated around 3 weeks ago. Will have to wait for the Google to fix the problem as reverting back to the previous version of AA using third party APK 'mirrors' is a bad idea due to the security/ malware concerns.
I have not found a solution to this issue yet. I relied on it heavily, especially for maps, but now for the time being I've uninstalled AA and disabled my phone in the car so I could at least listen to Pandora through the cars app. I hope there is an update soon or a solution.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
My maps have been distorted ever since I loaded Oreo. I speculate as time continues these problems will continue to keep occurring. I've said this before but the software that Android auto is currently using an all automobiles unless there's an update was back from 2013 is Jellybean. This creates compatibility issues as the actual phone software continues to get newer.

OP
OP
cstephens79

cstephens79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've searched for infotainment updates as well. Does Honda not intend to keep their software up-to-date to keep these issues from occurring. If it's the manufacturer's intent to allow these programs and devices to run, they should make an effort to keep the systems/software up-to-date. Maybe not with every little update, but if there begins to have compatibility issues it should be a consideration.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I've a Pixel 2 XL, AA works fine for the most part for me, with two major gripes:

1. Sometimes the "OK Google" command makes the whole system go silent, for about 10 seconds or so. Then I hear the boop, and "Sorry I didn't catch that" right afterwards. Then if you issue the command again it works fine. Very annoying.
  2. The music integration for AA is awful. You can' just browse your music; you have to have playlists. And with the current Google Assistant bug, you can't say "OK Google, play Three Days in Darkness by Testament". It will say, "sorry, that's only available for Google Play subscribers." One of the latter Assistant updates broke this feature (playing locally-stored music), which means I can't stream BT music while using AA. I have to disconnect AA to use BT.

I'm an Android loyalist but I tell ya, it's things like this that make me realize there's a reason why Apple and their products has such a loyal following... stuff just works and is (for the most part) pretty intuitive. If I weren't so heavily invested in the Android ecosystem, I'd have an iPhone 8+ right now.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've a Pixel 2 XL, AA works fine for the most part for me, with two major gripes:

1. Sometimes the "OK Google" command makes the whole system go silent, for about 10 seconds or so. Then I hear the boop, and "Sorry I didn't catch that" right afterwards. Then if you issue the command again it works fine. Very annoying.
  2. The music integration for AA is awful. You can' just browse your music; you have to have playlists. And with the current Google Assistant bug, you can't say "OK Google, play Three Days in Darkness by Testament". It will say, "sorry, that's only available for Google Play subscribers." One of the latter Assistant updates broke this feature (playing locally-stored music), which means I can't stream BT music while using AA. I have to disconnect AA to use BT.

I'm an Android loyalist but I tell ya, it's things like this that make me realize there's a reason why Apple and their products has such a loyal following... stuff just works and is (for the most part) pretty intuitive. If I weren't so heavily invested in the Android ecosystem, I'd have an iPhone 8+ right now.
I work at a Honda dealership setting up customers phones all day and trust me when I say it, iOS has wayyyyyyy more issues with CarPlay than Android Auto does... Go check on some of those threads about their issues...

I too have a Pixel 2 XL and I experience random disconnects on my CTR and my gf's Civic EX... been happening for a while now but doesn't happen as often as it did before... I suspect Google Play Services is the culprit since I'm running beta version of that and I get it crashing randomly from time to time!

OP
OP
cstephens79

cstephens79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The last update from Android Auto on the play store was November. I've had mine disconnected since the issues started in early December. I'm just waiting for an update to Android Auto then I may try again.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The last update from Android Auto on the play store was November. I've had mine disconnected since the issues started in early December. I'm just waiting for an update to Android Auto then I may try again.
weird, my AA updated 19hrs ago on its own...

OP
OP
cstephens79

cstephens79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is weird. If I go to the Play store on my phone it shows an updated date of Nov. 21. But on the web Play store it shows Jan. 10. As you stated previously @the1dynasty maybe the Google Play Services does have something to do with it.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is weird. If I go to the Play store on my phone it shows an updated date of Nov. 21. But on the web Play store it shows Jan. 10. As you stated previously @the1dynasty maybe the Google Play Services does have something to do with it.
The Play Store shows me this...
Screenshot_20180111-170212.png

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Play Store shows me this...
Screenshot_20180111-170212.png

OP
OP
cstephens79

cstephens79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is what the Play store online shows.

Honda Civic 10th gen Android Auto causing phone to restart Capture.PNG
Sponsored