Amsoil Synchromesh vs. Motul Gear 300 LS 75W-90

1. Tothemax

Tothemax Member

Car(s):
    17' Civic Si Sedan
    Hi,

I've probably read every post on the MTF fluids between multiple forums. I've narrowed it down to Amosil Synchromesh & Motul Gear 300 LS. I'm leaning towards Motul because i feel everything from Europe is made with much higher standards. I've got the Motul engine oil on hand already and would like to replace my MTF when i change out to the SS clutch line. I haven't seen much info on the Motul MTF though, anyone have experience?

2017 Si Sedan w/ 12k Miles.

2. turbociv910

turbociv910 Senior Member

First Name:
    taylor
    Car(s):
    19 SI, 99 ex b20v
    amsoil mtf is great

3. CastorX

CastorX Member

Automotive Test Engineer
    First Name:
    Balázs
    Car(s):
    Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
    So, in the US you have to change the transmission oil every 12k miles?

4. OP
    OP
    Tothemax

Tothemax Member

Car(s):
    17' Civic Si Sedan
    No, i bought the car used. Not knowing the previous owners driving habits and maintenance in general, i prefer replacing all fluids. This way i know exactly when the next change should be.

5. CastorX

CastorX Member

Automotive Test Engineer
    First Name:
    Balázs
    Car(s):
    Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
    Ok, I see. Btw I think the official change period for MTF in the EU is 120.000 km = 74.000 miles. I think it's a bit much, but. Honda knows it better, at least I hope they do.

6. WOPSiWOT

WOPSiWOT Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan
    The Amsoil is 5W-30, the Motul is 75W-90. The Honda OEM is 5W-30. Use the Amsoil would be my recommendation. I use Motul 8100 engine oil, but used Amsoil MTF because it replaces Honda OEM (says so on the bottle). Honda uses low viscosity MTF and I would be worried running such a dramatically different viscosity oil (as the Motul).

7. OP
    OP
    Tothemax

Tothemax Member

Car(s):
    17' Civic Si Sedan
    I understand what you're saying, but the oil grades aren't that different. SAE engine & SAE gear oil use different grading system. When comparing these grading systems, both oils fall roughly within the same spec, "roughly". I'll likely go with Amosil, because i have used it in the past and have experience with it. I was just curious about the Motul MTF because the Engine oil is so highly recommended for our engines.

8. zhendexing

zhendexing Senior Member

First Name:
    Dee
    Car(s):
    2018 civic si coupe
    What did you end up getting? I bought some motul 300ls for my 18si, temp dropped to 30s F last night, and the gear box felt weird this morning when I drove it, it was hard to get into 1st and 2nd, but everything was fine when it’s warmed up. The reason I bought motul is because I read 27won’s blog and motul is available on amazon,(AMSOIL could be only purchased through their wevisite) anyway, Im gonna switch to AMSOIL mtf

9. OP
    OP
    Tothemax

Tothemax Member

Car(s):
    17' Civic Si Sedan
    I went Amsoil for the MTF, Motul for the engine oil. Amsoil mad a HUGE difference, everything is smooth and i can finally go into reverse without having to go into a forward gear first...

zhendexing thanked this.
  10. Vincent@27WON

[email protected] Senior Member
    Elite Sponsor

President, Founder, Racer, Enthusiast
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Car(s):
    17 HBS, 18 SI, 18 CTR
  11. EP3R-T

EP3R-T New Member

Car(s):
    2018 WOP Si Sedan
    I'm in the same boat boat as the OP, just picked up an '18 SI and was looking to change fluids so I have a fresh starting point. I was going over the Amsoil information on their website and found this under the applications section:

"Replaces Honda* Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco* MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications."

I would hope they're referring to viscous LSDs and not mechanical. I would like to run this MTF, but not if I'll have an issue down the road, no pun intended.

12. WOPSiWOT

WOPSiWOT Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan
    Yes.