Am I getting old or has the car scene gone full circle?

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
This should probably be in off topic but I just wanted to get some opinions on trends nowadays..(or maybe some reassurance that I'm not an old fart)

Just recently I was in the market for a new car and had my sights on the new supra. So after some quick research I fired up the youtube machine and found that almost every video on there with supras had some stupidly overdone wide body kit, air ride and some goofy wing. Same with BRZs.. same with almost every popular car channel on youtube that focus on modding. Then I watched the sema show and it was the same trash.
Shit that would get you laughed out of the car meet 4 years ago is now popular again.

So tell me friends, am an old fart that doesnt understand kids these days or has the car scene gone full circle and we're back in the early 2000s again?
Sponsored

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
My car has not been in any way "modded." It is 100% stock. I will be doing small things like getting a new battery, tires, etc. and of course I had to get body work done when someone side-swiped it in a parking lot and took off.

But that's it.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I’m kind of a keep it stock car enthusiast but I don’t mind some modding mostly engine ( tuning these days)
Or should I say back in the eighties and earlier than that Hot rodding and I don’t mind some cosmetic modding if it’s tastefully done like a lot of members done to their civics on this forum the one mod I like the most is a sleeper it looks plane but it’s fast as hell

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Your not old , its the ridiculous body kits people trying to make cars stand out , its like the people that put wheels that stick out of the car or wheels with tires so stretched out that they have to be installed with a blow of air or nitrogen in order to be mounted on the wheel

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The trend comes from time attack cars that have functional body kits, canards and wings. I agree it does look a bit ridiculous seeing something like that out on the streets

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Living in the days of social media. It's whatever gets the views and likes on the 'gram.
I too think the overly done widebody looks like crap.

and then there's the track "stance" where a car is built to be at a track (with insane splitters and wings) is just sitting at a parking lot at a meet.

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
People talk about the ctr being to over styled , but then theres people all over buying the wing of ebay ,trying to install the spoilers on the basic civics and others putting even bigger spoilers on the type r ,its true its all about the attention ,

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I never liked big wings on cars. And spoilers on 4 door sedans are ridiculous, even though my cars have them, but I had no choice because that's the way they were made. What's the point of having that 1" spoiler on my Civic sedan?

If the car is built for the track then do whatever it takes. But on the street what's the point. Apparently having a car that looks fast, even though it isn't, impresses some people. It must be social media & peer pressure that's causing this.

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
i love my type R as it is, were ever i go people love the looks of it . I really haven't had any negative from at all

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Ctr already has spiolers all over , only thing i like and would install on it is the mugan front bumper garnish that go above the fog lights i think its a good touch and doesn't ruin the look

OP
OP
Civic17siYAY

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Thank you to everyone that responded. My faith in the car scene is somewhat restored.

Also the comment on the social media makes so much sense. I didnt even think of that.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
You're not old if you're going to refer to the early 2000s. Let me remind you of an old adage from the '50s. If it don't run, chrome it!

It's cheaper to make a car "look" like it wants to be fast, than to actually make a car fast. And you know the other old adage. Perception is reality.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
youtubers have a very large audience and a very large influence on trends. The pressure to keep growing as a channel and getting views requires crazier and crazier content.

No other car related platform has reached a larger audience than youtubers that have hundreds of thousands or millions of subscribers. Younger people spend all their time on social media platforms, so you’re going to see a lot of it.
Sponsored