Pete Roze

Pete Roze

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Of course you should do it. Life is shorter than we think. I just turned 40, I have two boys, 1.5 years and 4 years. Let your largest child sit in the front seat. If you're worried about their safety get them a football helmet to wear and make it fun. My wife is barely over 100lbs which isn't that far from 65lbs. The front seats are pretty deep and well bolstered... You'll be fine. The kids will love it.

Just create two drive modes in your head, 1) slow and safe when the kids are in the car and 2) R+ buck wild when its just you. (and get some life insurance if you don't have it already) That's the most important part... to drive safe when loaded with passengers, and the life insurance.
This is golden LOL..
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 3 car seats are more like 3 racing seats... match up decently with the interior. Plenty of room. When they're 12, 14 and 16 will the car be a good fit for us 5? Probably not. But assuming I have it that long... a 9 year old ~100k mile Civic wouldn't be a bad first car for a big sister to take her siblings to school in.

Honda Civic 10th gen Am I Crazy ?? #DadLife IMG_20180214_140006393

Honda Civic 10th gen Am I Crazy ?? #DadLife IMG_20180214_135956568_HDR

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 3 car seats are more like 3 racing seats... match up decently with the interior. Plenty of room. When they're 12, 14 and 16 will the car be a good fit for us 5? Probably not. But assuming I have it that long... a 9 year old ~100k mile Civic wouldn't be a bad first car for a big sister to take her siblings to school in.

IMG_20180214_140006393.jpg

IMG_20180214_135956568_HDR.jpg
I have one of those Diono's in the family truck, they're solid seats.. super heavy with the steel construction.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's one of the few seats you can go 3 across on most cars. They're not cheap (I think the R100s were around $200 a piece) but they are built well, and sure are cheaper than getting a different car if you want to keep a smaller car you already have. Any you can't put a price on being able to get a smaller car and still make it work out vice compromising and getting a 'proper' family car... and slowly killing yourself with boredom.

Heck this Civic is as big as most midsize cars I can think of 10-20 years ago. It's really grown up (and out).

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP - fellow dad (37) here with 3 kids too, 10, 8, and 4. For the little one, I put the car seat in the middle using the latches, does not move an mm. The two older boys are in boosters and use the regular belts. Kids love the car.

I would say go ahead and do it, I know the reason it appeals to us is because it reminds us of our high school / college days. The CTR has the same amount of power as the Supra/3000Gt/300zx, which were the super cars of our youth. Plus way better fuel economy and practicality.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
OP - fellow dad (37) here with 3 kids too, 10, 8, and 4. For the little one, I put the car seat in the middle using the latches, does not move an mm. The two older boys are in boosters and use the regular belts. Kids love the car.

I would say go ahead and do it, I know the reason it appeals to us is because it reminds us of our high school / college days. The CTR has the same amount of power as the Supra/3000Gt/300zx, which were the super cars of our youth. Plus way better fuel economy and practicality.
Do you mind taking pic of your setup? I didn't realize you could mount the car seat in the middle. I currently have the car seat on the driver side, but my boy being how he is, likes to scratch the alcantara on the door panel:mad:

hafadaze

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R (#1106)
Country flag
Love the the discussion so far! I'm 33 (34 in a month) and my first baby boy is coming the first week of May. A "CTR" was my dream car too -- I built my old EM1 trying to make it a CTR. The wife was with me the whole time I worked on the EM1 and many memories were made with that car. ;) When the FK8 finally came around, it took a little convincing because 1. She can't drive stick and 2. She didn't see it as practical. When I brought her to the dealer to show it to her in person, she saw the hatch room and that although it looked really flashy... she saw my enthusiasm and the smile on face... so she gave in. I have every intention to hold onto this car until my boy is old enough to drive it himself. But for now, he's gonna be my back seat pilot!

BTW -- I know I asked this in another thread -- but any recommendations for a car seat + baby stroller combo to start with?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...been out of the little baby business for a couple years, but one of the rear facing deals that has a base that stays with the car deal itself popping out (ie Grayco snugrides) were really convenient to let a sleeping baby stay snapped in. You can pop out the seat and snap into a stroller that will accept it... or pop out the seat, and put it in a shopping cart and go shopping. Very good for a infant (0-6 months). Generally, its safest to maintain a child rear facing as long as you can. Some folks are *militant* about this... so it's best not to debate with someone like that. I'd recommend, if you're planning to keep expanding your family, to stick with the narrow car seats because, as I've shown, you can go 3 wide if need be. There are few other brands that can do that. Even if you could sneak a different, wider one with 2 narrow ones... you're all mismatched and, IMO, it looks kind of trashy.

Do what's safe and do your best for your kids. Some folks will give you some very aggressive advice and may try to make you feel like, since your decision is different from theirs, it makes you a bad parent. Screw those people. You're the parent. Whatever you decide is best. Congratulations on the your son. They're our little piece of immortality...

JJ's Type R

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Acura TSX SE
Country flag
Glad to know there are a lot of other 30-40 y/o dads out there who want a CTR as bad as me. I am in the same boat. I'm 39 and have two kids (3 and 8) and drive a boring Acura TSX (w/auto trans). I have been toying with the idea of replacing it with a CTR for months. I just had a great year financially and I feel like I never really "reward" myself so the enthusiast in me is trying to justify buying one as much as possible and keeps telling me YOLO...but the sensible side of me keeps talking me out of it (higher insurance, personal property tax, etc.). The struggle is real.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you mind taking pic of your setup? I didn't realize you could mount the car seat in the middle. I currently have the car seat on the driver side, but my boy being how he is, likes to scratch the alcantara on the door panel:mad:
Here you go

Honda Civic 10th gen Am I Crazy ?? #DadLife 93443719-DDA7-4072-B941-3BF1E757D13F

Honda Civic 10th gen Am I Crazy ?? #DadLife 79BEBF88-1956-462F-88B4-39A5F9A44B19

Honda Civic 10th gen Am I Crazy ?? #DadLife 48FECE2F-B876-49BA-B7B2-F76963EE20C4

OP
OP
Pete Roze

Pete Roze

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R

This is exactly what I was thinking !

OP
OP
Pete Roze

Pete Roze

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Glad to know there are a lot of other 30-40 y/o dads out there who want a CTR as bad as me. I am in the same boat. I'm 39 and have two kids (3 and 8) and drive a boring Acura TSX (w/auto trans). I have been toying with the idea of replacing it with a CTR for months. I just had a great year financially and I feel like I never really "reward" myself so the enthusiast in me is trying to justify buying one as much as possible and keeps telling me YOLO...but the sensible side of me keeps talking me out of it (higher insurance, personal property tax, etc.). The struggle is real.
I say we do it my man.. I finally talked myself into doing it. i just need to find one reasonable for starters and then the time to get there.

Theres one about 2 hours away from me that I could do.. seriously thinking about calling in sick to work tomorrow to go and work the numbers !

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Im guessing there has to be the child car seat safety latches for each seat..

Im wondering if my sons car seat would still fit in the middle. Maybe the belt / latches woudl reach to the latches on each side of the seats and the other 2 can still fit their boosters and use the seatbelts as normal (if I had to travel with all 3 of them.. which isnt all that often)
Lol to the whole question - your taking it incorrectly. I went from my 2004 4Runner - lifted with 35's - to an Si. The way I spun it was the mpg and life and less maint. Then after i got a hell of a deal on my Si I now pay less per month for my car payment, insurance, and Gas than I was paying just for Gas for my 4Runner. I'm 38 and 3 kids....

Only do it if you can get it at MSRP or below - don't overpay. You won't regret it if you do it - if you don't do it you will regret it and think back to it. It's not selfish either it will be safer than your Explorer, better on gas, more fun and you will find yourself using it for family outings over the mini-van more often than you think!
Sponsored