Always use Sport mode?

NINVRTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic
So I'm finally nearing the end of that 600 mile break-in period and have been dying to use Sport Mode. Question is, can I always use it or should I only use it when it's really needed?
Sponsored

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sport mode only effects the shocks unless you're tuned.

You could be using it anytime...

OP
OP

NINVRTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic

Isn't that only for the Si though? I thought it tightens the "gear" ratio as well as makes the throttle more responsive? For clarification I have a 1.5T CVT Hatchback

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag

It also affects the throttle mapping and how the car builds boost. In sport mode the turbo will spool up faster with less throttle input.
And it tightens up the steering.

You can use sport mode anytime. I usually keep it off for softer ride quality and daily driving, and turn it on if I want to have some fun.

OP
OP

NINVRTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic
It also affects the throttle mapping and how the car builds boost. In sport mode the turbo will spool up faster with less throttle input.
And it tightens up the steering.

You can use sport mode anytime. I usually keep it off for softer ride quality and daily driving, and turn it on if I want to have some fun.
Good to know I'm not going crazy. I'll probably do the same as you, stay in drive most of the time and then sport for fun and stuff.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
So I'm finally nearing the end of that 600 mile break-in period and have been dying to use Sport Mode. Question is, can I always use it or should I only use it when it's really needed?
You could’ve used that driving out of the dealership. Unless you have an Si or R you don’t have a Sport mode anyways. That transmission setting on yours is called Drive S.

Last edited:

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Sport mode all day every day! The difference in ride quality between normal mode and sport mode is not great enough for me to notice. However, the steering feel and throttle response is noticeable and is the reason why I always keep it in Sport.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
My guess is that you won't want to drive around all the time in sport. For an EX-T, it will give you more performance, as noted above, but the engine revs higher make it louder in the car. I drive around in D and just shift to Sport if I'm in heavy traffic and need the car to respond quicker or if I need to pull out into fast moving traffic and the like. Then I go back to D for quieter, smoother driving. Plus, if you drive around in Sport all the time, your gas mileage will suffer.

djentlguy

[ Civic 2017 Coupe EX-T ]
First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Coupe EX-T
My guess is that you won't want to drive around all the time in sport. For an EX-T, it will give you more performance, as noted above, but the engine revs higher make it louder in the car. I drive around in D and just shift to Sport if I'm in heavy traffic and need the car to respond quicker or if I need to pull out into fast moving traffic and the like. Then I go back to D for quieter, smoother driving. Plus, if you drive around in Sport all the time, your gas mileage will suffer.

Agreed. :agree:

Mostly on D, but occasionally when I feel like getting on the ramp or merging onto interstate, leaving traffic behind etc... i would switch to S. The gear shift is much faster and mpg goes down lol :rolleyes1:

rmalford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan WOP
I have a 2018 Si sedan. Is there a way to have Sport mode as the default mode? Anyone? TIA

Honda 4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic lx
Country flag
If the car is running let say 50mph can you change the shift or gear from D to S? or S back to D?