All weather tires....help not my area of expertise...

OP
OP

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good choice. It may not be all weather but it's pretty much the best all season you can buy. Hard to go wrong with Michelin.
shit didnt notice that. back to looking. i want all weather lol

SpikedLemon

First Name
Spiked
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Country flag
I've used the following all-weather tires on my cars over the years.

Kumho Solus HA31
Vredestein Quatrac3
Nokian WRG3
Nordman WR

And, as a dishonorable mention, the Michelin Defender. Which, oddly enough, was rated highly by Tirerack for snow/winter/rain - was massively disappointing in real life. I would not recommend that tire at all - let alone for poor weather.

The WRG3 has been superseded by the WRG4. And it, along with the Nordman, are definitely on the winter-biased side of the equation. Great tires but on the soft side when it gets warm out. I would definitely recommend both the Nokian WR and Nordman WR series tires as solid winter tires. I hear the WRG4 is much better than the G3 while the Nordman is, effectively, an older version of the Nokian WR series (and without the premium pricetag).

The Quatrac3 has been replaced by the Quatrac5 and Quatrac Pro. The Vredestein was a great tire for miserable weather - no where near as awesome as the Nokian in the snow/ice but definitely did well for me in temps around freezing. It was also a solid tire in the summer that I didn't feel like compromised the tire.

The Kumho was the discount one of them all. I'm a little tainted on my experience as it replaced the Defender tires that I hated and I did only two winters with them. They were, very much, a forgettable tire. As long as I didn't push them (in any weather): I didn't notice them - so consider that a good thing. It is no where near as good as the Nokian in the winter and I recall the Vredestein being better when it got cold.

Given the choice: I'd get the Vredestein. But I cannot find anyone local that carries them (despite the corporate website claiming otherwise) so I'd be forced into ordering them online.

OP
OP

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've used the following all-weather tires on my cars over the years.

Kumho Solus HA31
Vredestein Quatrac3
Nokian WRG3
Nordman WR

And, as a dishonorable mention, the Michelin Defender. Which, oddly enough, was rated highly by Tirerack for snow/winter/rain - was massively disappointing in real life. I would not recommend that tire at all - let alone for poor weather.

The WRG3 has been superseded by the WRG4. And it, along with the Nordman, are definitely on the winter-biased side of the equation. Great tires but on the soft side when it gets warm out. I would definitely recommend both the Nokian WR and Nordman WR series tires as solid winter tires. I hear the WRG4 is much better than the G3 while the Nordman is, effectively, an older version of the Nokian WR series (and without the premium pricetag).

The Quatrac3 has been replaced by the Quatrac5 and Quatrac Pro. The Vredestein was a great tire for miserable weather - no where near as awesome as the Nokian in the snow/ice but definitely did well for me in temps around freezing. It was also a solid tire in the summer that I didn't feel like compromised the tire.

The Kumho was the discount one of them all. I'm a little tainted on my experience as it replaced the Defender tires that I hated and I did only two winters with them. They were, very much, a forgettable tire. As long as I didn't push them (in any weather): I didn't notice them - so consider that a good thing. It is no where near as good as the Nokian in the winter and I recall the Vredestein being better when it got cold.

Given the choice: I'd get the Vredestein. But I cannot find anyone local that carries them (despite the corporate website claiming otherwise) so I'd be forced into ordering them online.

I was gonna get the Vredestein but decided on the WRG4 because they are less noisy and seem to do a lot better in snow. Also will hopefully last longer.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
What is your "all season" look like ? light snow? Or just bunch of rain?
My recommendation is Micheline Pilot Sport A/S 3+, that what I use on my RWD tesla and 16 Civic, very comfortable and quiet, took my RWD to Tahoe in snowing conditions the performed great! Comes in Civic specific sizes as well

OP
OP

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i live in pa, we can get 12" or more

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Both of our cars run Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and we are in Ohio. Very similar weather to PA. All seasons are a compromise and the A/S 3+ performs extremely well. That said if there's 10 inches of snow I'm staying home. Even if I had straight up snow tires.

OP
OP

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Both of our cars run Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and we are in Ohio. Very similar weather to PA. All seasons are a compromise and the A/S 3+ performs extremely well. That said if there's 10 inches of snow I'm staying home. Even if I had straight up snow tires.
i didnt buy all season, i bought all weather.

RobSamRei87

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I installed Michelin CrossClimate2 on my 2019 Honda Civic EX-T and noticed the following while driving since having them installed (keep in mind I don't have instruments or anything like that, these are just "eyeball observations" and the tires have only been installed for 2 tanks of gas, or about 800-820 miles):

(1) I hear them; if the all seasons originally sold with the car are a 2 on a scale of 1-10 on noise level, than the CrossClimate2's are a 3,
(2) fuel economy has dropped. With the original all seasons that were on the car when I bought it, I would average 36-37mpg per tank on regular gas. Now, with the CrossClimate2's, I average 34-35mpg. Both figures are respectable, but the difference is slightly noticeable,
(3) the ride comfort is a bit more firm due to the tire, but by no means it now jarring,
(4) handling in the dry, and normal temp's/conditions, they handle superior to the original all seasons. one way I've noticed this is on on-ramps, the new tires enable me to take most ramps with an additional 5-7mph,
(5) handling in the rain is like night and day; the original handling with the original all seasons cannot not even compete with the planted nearly invincible feeling I get with the CrossClimate2's. (6) Initial brake bite has increased with the CrossClimate2's, other than that, i cannot tell if braking performance overall has improved or not; I have not been in an emergency situation yet to see how they handle further. (i suppose no change is a good thing.),
(7) I have not had an opportunity to test these in the snow yet.

I don't know if people know a lot about these tires, but they're claimed to be between an all season and winter tire (called an all weather tire), with the ability of being left on all year round, they're supposed to handle and offer superior grip than all seasons in all situations, so I intend on finding out. I have not found a lot on sedans with these tires installed and thought I would share my experience thus far. So far I'm happy with the improvements these tires offer vs the original equipped tires. I am disappointed to see the fuel economy dip, but with the added planted feel and better handling I get, I'm willing to make that sacrifice. I hope I have periodic updates, and how the car does with these long-term.

Honda Civic 10th gen All weather tires....help not my area of expertise... HC001

Honda Civic 10th gen All weather tires....help not my area of expertise... HC004

Honda Civic 10th gen All weather tires....help not my area of expertise... HC002

Honda Civic 10th gen All weather tires....help not my area of expertise... HC003

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I installed Michelin CrossClimate2 on my 2019 Honda Civic EX-T and noticed the following while driving since having them installed (keep in mind I don't have instruments or anything like that, these are just "eyeball observations" and the tires have only been installed for 2 tanks of gas, or about 800-820 miles):

(1) I hear them; if the all seasons originally sold with the car are a 2 on a scale of 1-10 on noise level, than the CrossClimate2's are a 3,
(2) fuel economy has dropped. With the original all seasons that were on the car when I bought it, I would average 36-37mpg per tank on regular gas. Now, with the CrossClimate2's, I average 34-35mpg. Both figures are respectable, but the difference is slightly noticeable,
(3) the ride comfort is a bit more firm due to the tire, but by no means it now jarring,
(4) handling in the dry, and normal temp's/conditions, they handle superior to the original all seasons. one way I've noticed this is on on-ramps, the new tires enable me to take most ramps with an additional 5-7mph,
(5) handling in the rain is like night and day; the original handling with the original all seasons cannot not even compete with the planted nearly invincible feeling I get with the CrossClimate2's. (6) Initial brake bite has increased with the CrossClimate2's, other than that, i cannot tell if braking performance overall has improved or not; I have not been in an emergency situation yet to see how they handle further. (i suppose no change is a good thing.),
(7) I have not had an opportunity to test these in the snow yet.

I don't know if people know a lot about these tires, but they're claimed to be between an all season and winter tire (called an all weather tire), with the ability of being left on all year round, they're supposed to handle and offer superior grip than all seasons in all situations, so I intend on finding out. I have not found a lot on sedans with these tires installed and thought I would share my experience thus far. So far I'm happy with the improvements these tires offer vs the original equipped tires. I am disappointed to see the fuel economy dip, but with the added planted feel and better handling I get, I'm willing to make that sacrifice. I hope I have periodic updates, and how the car does with these long-term.

HC001.jpg

HC004.jpg

HC002.jpg

HC003.jpg
Great write up!

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Here is a write-up that I made in another thread.

Here is a comparison from Consumer Reports of some of the most popular all weather tires available. It appears that the best balanced between winter and summer performance is the Michelin CrossClimate. The best "winter" performance tires (Nokian WR G4 and Toyo Celcius) seem to perform poorly in summer. The CrossClimate2 are not tested, but I expect that they may be slightly better than the CrossClimate at a significant extra cost. Take the treadwear estimates with a grain of salt. These tires do not last as long as they claim. The treadwear estimates are in kilometers. 120,000 km = 75,000 miles, 80,000 km = 50,000 miles.

Honda Civic 10th gen All weather tires....help not my area of expertise... 1-

Note that these all weather tires wear faster and cost more to purchase than the normal all-season tires, so their cost over time is substantially higher. Considering that they perform more poorly in summer (noise, wear, gas mileage) many drivers will probably just opt for the all-season tires unless they need the better winter performance. Note that the Nokian and Toyo all weather tires have fewer tire sizes and only a few retailers carry them.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I would suggest winter tires if you got big snowfalls like that. The stock contis on the Hatch sportdid very good in north Alberta weather the first winter but as soon as the roads had more than 2-3" of snow they were spinning like crazy. Once it's hard pack snow and even ice, they performed decently. I'd say about 80% of a mid range winter tire. I'm running Toyo Observe gsi6 hp on my Civic and traction everywhere is amazing. Dry, wet, snow or ice is very good. Thread wear didn't seem too bad last winter considering I drove about 20 000km on them, I lost maybe 1-2/32". They are also doing just as good this winter as they did the first one.

I'm a firm believer in winters and summers to reduce the chances of accidents due to poor choice of tires.
Sponsored